Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 71,512 times

Advertisements

I'm counting the days down for 3 1/2 years to move down. We vacation in Myrtle/Surfside most every summer. Want to move to Surfside area! Will look for parttime job when there. Tired of snow and cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM

145 posts, read 359,506 times
Default Welcome to Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach Group

Summering, a quick note to answer you.

This first line is for everyone on this thread -- Husband became disabled, not sure how long he will be, but he is applying for SSD. He is newly disabled so our racing to doctors and PT is just beginning. Still another reason I'm delayed getting back to this thread....but I shall always return here!

Summering, the three of us in this household are concerned about the strangers. Hopefully I will be able to get my housekeeper from an agency. I have been on many Internet forums from landlords to people who are simply renting out rooms in their homes to gain income during the recession. Everyone there, including at least one lawyer says to NEVER omit a criminal background check. To that I ADD -- check every state in the country for residences of the applicant. I did a background check on someone about 7 years ago and the detective, although highly recommended, could search only PA, NJ and DE on his own. By luck, he was able to locate another lawyer to help him locate the information needed for a residence in KY. Hopefully we will rent to friends, or at least acquaintances. If any must be strangers, we will have all the information about them that the "average Joe" could get, because we will leave no stone unturned. My husband is former law enforcement (NJ State prison guard) and I will mention that to all applicants. And yes, he still acts like a prison guard. LOL! But that's good.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB Group

canudigit, don't know if you're on this thread any more, but was just re-reading and trying to reply to posts I did not have the time for earlier. Maybe an area a bit away from MB would be nice. My MB area geography is weak, but maybe Little River? Also Conway is a bit inland if I remember correctly. I see MB as a fun place, it's a resort so in summer it will be crazy, like any other popular, sizeable resort. For me, this is part of the fun. However, I could not have a probematic driving situation either with a committment there such as work or school. Too much time out of my life.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 138,863 times
Well, my wife and I finally decided that Myrtle Beach would be better for us than Sarasota--for several reasons. Now, we are learning about the real estate market, checking in with a lawyer, scanning the news, even listening to Grand Strand streaming radio.

We notice that oceanfront condos are beginning to drop in price quickly. However, I've had experience living in a condo during the last real estate bust in the late seventies. People were selling their units for quit-claim deeds back then--the condo board was hopeless and the place began to look old before its time. I wouldn't want to repeat that.

I notice that the POA/HOA fees are going to be higher than our monthly mtge or line of credit payments. In SC, how can delinquent HOA fees be recouped?

Also, how difficult is it the get a look at the condo corp's books--and its reserve fund?

It may be that after careful research, it might be an idea to go with a freehold property.

Can you help me with my thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by V65Magnafan; 07-03-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Newcomers to MB Group -- mkaz, hope you keep in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaz01 View Post
Retiring 11/11/11 and moving to Little River December 1st!
I'm trying this quote feature. I'm not very good with forums. :/ I think you are unique on this thread so far in that you have a future date (for your relo to MB). (However, I think Summering just completed the relo.) mkaz, hope you and Summering will have the time and inclination to report back here to let us know how you're doing after you transition from Hopefuls to Newcomers.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB Group -- TNKY wins the prize for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
The forementioned (for now) Michigander here. I'm sure there are plenty like us wanting to make the move, but with the hostile real estate market (and believe me, I'm in the very worst of it), sometimes it seems like an unreachable dream. But I'll never give up. We just wore our coats on Sunday, maybe for the last time. My job is getting worse by the day (auto mechanic and nobody here has a dime to spend on repairs). I'd almost kill to be there right now, but I fear the battle is far from over.
the most desperate to get to MB on this thread so far. Runners up are Cam34 and me -- MovingSouthGal, as well as my mom, the other household member who hates the cold and loves the beach scene.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
We have just sold our home in NEPA and will be moving to Murrells Inlet or thereabouts by August 13th.....( or I will be quite homeless)
We will be waiting for the home inspection to go thru nicely. I don't expect any problems but you just never know. Then quite soon, the end of this month most likely, we will head down to contract on a home.
We have had lots of years to research as we stay in Surfside Beach every winter.
Actually, we love our time there. The southern people are just wonderful, and the snowbirds are always so full of laughter and kindness.
This will be a great move for us because PA winters are getting very long and harsh.
I'm excited to live by the ocean and know its only a days drive back home to those majestic mountains.
The only thing that is not fun is the packing......The rest will be just wonderful.
I think I figured out the "reply with quote" feature. Are snowbirds former Northerners? If so, are they kind and happy because they suffered so long in the North that they don't take MB for granted? Any progress with the home-buying?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Welcome to Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I haven't made it all the way through this thread but there are a couple of things I want to point out.

Washington State beaches are very different from ours. Firstly, the ocean water in the north Pacific is mostly unswimmable without a wet suit. Our water gets into the mid 80s during the summer and rarely falls below 60 degrees in the winter. Their beaches aren't swimming beaches.

Secondly, The State paper isn't indicative of what Myrtle Beach is like. Columbia is a true southern town and The State paper is representative of what that is. Myrtle Beach is a melting pot and our year round population is now mostly people from the Northeast and not from the south.
blueheron, great that you've read the first post in this thread, which was the first post to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach Group thread. I assumed Columbia would be very different from MB, but I think it's more like MB than it is Philadelphia, at least I hope so, because I'm trying to escape from almost everything here, except the extraordinarily low crime (violent and serious crime) of my area of Warminster, PA. It's okay that MB will not be as "southern" as most of the South. It just has to be somewhat more southern. I know it's a hotspot for retirees from the North, and there is an ongoing chain of settling from New Jersey State of Corrections families. Why? I don't know except I think the MB area is similar to some of the NJ shore areas such as Wildwood, Belmar, Sea Isle City, etc. and now that MB has a boardwalk, it's even more like these NJ towns. Our friends, a married couple with a 3 year old and another expected soon, relocated about 2 weeks ago and they say they're doing very well. The husband, also from NJ State of Corrections, retired around the same time my husband retired. They had already purchased a home before they relo'd there. His friend, still another from the NJ DOC plans to soon move there, accd to my husband. I can see it's quite multicultural/multiracial -- our friends family is multiracial and two Afro-American friends of my husband's, from the DOC (of course) are thinking about MB when they retire within the next 3 years.

I knew Washington was cold, although not as cold as in the Northeast. I love maps and the coastline there looked "funny" -- hardly any towns! I guess there aren't any, supported by what you said about the cold water. I really feel depressed just thinking about Washington State. Not an option that I can foresee.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Default Welcome to Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB Group Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaski View Post
WA state is either cold or wet or both. Beautiful place, but if you're an outside type, it can be "daunting"! Guess it's what you're used to! Guess I'm spoiled here in TX, flip flops and shorts 9 mos out of the year!
wawaski, curious as to why you're considering SC when you're already in a state not all that different, or so it seems to me. So far every other "hopeful" mentioning the current locatin is in the Northeast.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Summering, how long did it take you to sell your PA home ? November will be 3 yrs for us.....
Can you say what part of PA you are in? I'm in Warminster, Bucks County, PA. Home values here have held up fairly well. House next door, same model as mine sold in roughly 4 months. (I realize I should be more certain than this)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area