Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM

108 posts, read 227,717 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Tewksbury MA, about 10 miles from the NH border. I like Massachusetts but not the cold. I think since last December I can count on one hand the number of days that were decent for my daily walk. Not to mention no golf since last October. I am definitely looking forward to a more moderate climate and i also love the hot and steamy summers in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM

145 posts, read 359,551 times
I think I was the originator of this thread. I am the one trying to get a network of newcomers to MB area and those thinking of moving there. I was away from this site due to medical and dental appointment piling up (when it rains, it pours). Almost every day I have been thinking "I must get back to city-data". I am very serious about this endeavor with newcomers to MB. I have a month's subscription to the Columbia newspaper to get a general feel for SC, especially regarding political, and economic situations there. It sounds much better than Washington state so far even though I have read only half the newspapers. Not sure how to go about starting an actual (online for now) group of people. Maybe I can help keep this thread alive -- it's all I can think of for now. So far read only the post from the Michiganer. We have the bad winters in common now. I will read more posts as soon as I can. BTW, a bit about me -- I'm Sherry, (spokesperson for the family) middle aged, there are 2 other middle aged family members in my household, all looking forward to the change. We have no children. Two of us love, love, love the beach environment. The other just likes the idea of all the restaurants in MB and of course the married couple we know who have been planning for years to move there. They expect to make the move next month. More later.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Hopefully there will be more replies in May

Just decided to check the posting dates for this thread. Looks like it died (or went into a coma) on Apr. 28. I'm not great navigating the forums, but maybe there will be some newcomers to this thread. Otherwise I will start new threads with the same or similar title. Hope that will be good enough for now. Anyone with ideas on how to keep the thread going or otherwise have a network of people? (Sorry if this was already addressed but I don't have time to digest all the posts in the thread as of yet.)

Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,351,498 times
The forementioned (for now) Michigander here. I'm sure there are plenty like us wanting to make the move, but with the hostile real estate market (and believe me, I'm in the very worst of it), sometimes it seems like an unreachable dream. But I'll never give up. We just wore our coats on Sunday, maybe for the last time. My job is getting worse by the day (auto mechanic and nobody here has a dime to spend on repairs). I'd almost kill to be there right now, but I fear the battle is far from over.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

130 posts, read 184,699 times
I agree with you TNKY, I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh and its ever declining housing market and extravagant taxes. Its nearly impossible to find a buyer for an older home, also I'm finding it quite difficult to find a job in my field (Manufacturing) in MB. Although I'm more than willing to switch professions its still becoming difficult...I will not give up hope though!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Smile Newcomers to MB area

I'm not sure whether to use this or the "quick reply". Hopefully I will learn. LOL! I'm happy with the turn-out on this threadI ! 2 people from PA and 2 from MA in uh, what is it, about 15 posts? Strange coincidence to me.

I saw only one post in this thread bashing MB. When I finished reading about the rednecks, bad infrastructure, etc. I though back to American history, where people have worked hard to get what they want. It's not going to be perfect there, and it won't be perfect anywhere, but if possible, visit as much time in the area as possble, and unless you're really sure you want to be there for a while, RENT FIRST. And to describe a redneck, it's considered to be someone living in a rural, usually mountainous area, mostly in the South, who is ignorant and poorly educated, but not necessarily obnoxious. Not the same as a "yokel"or "bumkin". Pardon my spelling. Redneck has a very negative connotation, yokel at worst, just not taken seriously, laughed at, etc. I lived in Southern PA in Waynesboro, a small valley town, for about 10 years. That's where my dad's mom's side is from. Many there are described as rednecks.

TNKY's time frame is closest to ours. 3 or 4 others as well as myself are delayed by not being able to sell our homes now. My household has run out of money to do necessary remodeling to make the house appealing enough to get a decent amount of money (needs kitchen and bath work, which should both make the house sell fairly fast and make the needed profit). Suffice to finish by saying we probably won't be able to sell (and therefore move) this year, but if we're very lucky -- 2012. I'm in a desirable area -- Warminster township. When the homes are sizeable (mine is) and updated, with no other big downsides, they go for well over the national average, even in today's bad market. What keeps me going is just having a little progress on the house, for example, getting a wall painted or posting a new ad for a (cheap) contractor.

I hope to get into the medical field, probably medical office type work. Other family member is retired NJ state prison guard with a good pension, so we will always be financially secure. We just got in over our heads because we have to hire contractors to do most everything on this property. "Money pit"

I will return as soon as possible. I am loaded up with the "old" newspapers from the past couple of weeks. When I have time, I'll share anything I find important from the papers. However, the MB papers, will probably providee more relevant info.

I did research on Little River. Sounds like a nice place -- rural and off the beaten path.

I'll try to come back here often. I'm keeping track of the different posters here so I don't get totally confused.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

130 posts, read 184,699 times
I feel your pain....My list of renovations recently completed on my home:
New roof
New hot water tank
New furnace
Most all windows replaced for EnergyStar windows
Landscaping
New washer/dryer

Still the home is all brick and in fine condition, just needed alot of updates.

Like I said still hopeful that it will sell and I can get out. In regards to the issue of people and whether there are issues with a specific type of person. People are people, some good, some bad that doesn't change no matter where you go. Its the "me" thats important. If I'm happy where ever I move to then thats all that really matters.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Default I'm the originator of this thread...

and although I don't get here as often as I'd like, I'm trying to keep it alive. I see it's hybernating again. Meanwhile, it appears other MB hopefuls have started their own threads, some rather specific. I'm trying to mainly attract other people who are interested in moving to the area, for a group, of sorts.
Has anyone who posted to this thread made any headway with the move? Anyone change their mind about relocating to MB. If so, why? I am similar to the auto mechanic from up north. (Michigan?) I also recall someone from Pittsburgh, also very motivated to relocate. I too am determined to get out of the north -- Phila. PA here. I'm in a single family home and want to own a boardinghouse in MB. My husband will not allow a live-in housekeeper in our SFH and we can't legally rent out any of it. He says he doesn't want to be that close to a "stranger"..so...moving to MB not only gets me to a better climate with more fun, a safer bus system (as long as it's adequate), southern hospitality, my boardinghouse and last but not least -- THE BEACH. I feel like a prisoner here in PA, especially in the winter. I just don't fit in here in the north and in a "bedroom community" (which really has NO community). Enough of my complaining.

I'm looking for a name for this thread or threads, just in case this thread is "lost" or "spreads". Then former posters like myself who have been away from this site and lost track can find the thread. I'm thinking of "Newcomers and Hopefuls (or vice versa) to Myrtle Beach. I told you I was serious about this thread. Seems to me an actual name may help, so chime in with any ideas for the wording. Also, anyone know offhand if the name of the thread can be changed??? Of course, the forum is open to everyone, and I think the long term residents are great, as they can offer the best info about the area. In fact, I think they have already.

For starters, maybe we can continue listing what we've done lately with our current homes (the ones we want to escape from), as a couple of posters already did. Good way to assess progress, I think. All prep work for marketing my property has come to a standstill due to lack of funds. I'm thinking of the auto-mechanic again, but I forget if that person will be renovating. Maybe my husband can hold his job long enough to get everything done. Otherwise, we must wait 4 years because we'd have to pay off a huge loan. The loan was supposed to be for guess what?!... home renovations. Taking that out was a mistake but I've learned from it. Once the loan is paid off, the renovations will be able to really take off, unforeseen expenses not withstanding.

That's all for now. I hope everyone continues posting here and may many more be attracted here. Sherry in Philly

Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM

One more thing. I have still not read nearly all the Columbia newspapers, but it still sounds more uplifting than Olympia, where I first planned to move. The SC "State" seems like a bigger paper, more human-interest stories, more family stuff, just happier generally than Olympia's. As I mentioned in the past, I got the capital city newspapers to get a general feel for the state, especially the economy, as some of that will trickle through the entire state. At some future time, I will get the MB paper.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times
We have just sold our home in NEPA and will be moving to Murrells Inlet or thereabouts by August 13th.....( or I will be quite homeless)
We will be waiting for the home inspection to go thru nicely. I don't expect any problems but you just never know. Then quite soon, the end of this month most likely, we will head down to contract on a home.
We have had lots of years to research as we stay in Surfside Beach every winter.
Actually, we love our time there. The southern people are just wonderful, and the snowbirds are always so full of laughter and kindness.
This will be a great move for us because PA winters are getting very long and harsh.
I'm excited to live by the ocean and know its only a days drive back home to those majestic mountains.
The only thing that is not fun is the packing......The rest will be just wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area