Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Lndsley Lumber was also on Bird Road between 92nd and 87Ave at the current discount/advanced auto parts location. I remember that place well. As I mentioned before, Gold Triangle was behind the Wometco twin theater at the SE corner of Kendall and the Palmetto expressway. Another place I remember was the New England Oyster houses located at US-1 at 62 Ave, US-1 at 168 St and South River drive near the 836. I even remember how rural Sunset drive was west of 107Ave, There was a very rural shopping center and redneck bar on 117Ave where it ended at Sunset drive. One place I cannot remember was an odd building at the SE corner of sunset and 97 Ave. It was a restaurant or social club or something, but I remember it having a fountain and a huge date palm tree. Like everyplace else, it was demolished for a typical strip shopping center. Sunset had a very rural feel, with little "towns" of development at 87 Ave and at 97 Ave and at 117 Ave. Everything today is "master planned" and nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
Club Nu
Warsaw
La Carreta in South Beach......best cuban food 24hrs.

Anyone remember Nepenthe in Ft. Lauderdale?
yes remember Nepenthe well since my band used to hang out there & we played a few times. That steel dance floor!

wasn't Warsaw also OVO at one time?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM

I just remembered the name of the store in Midway Mall, JB Hunter!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
How about the Orange Julius at Midway Mall? I miss that place. Not the food so much, but the frothy orange drink.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
Kelly's Restaurant on Kendall Drive and 107Ave...

How about the Victoria Station restaurants that were like trains all meshed together... That place rocked...

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM

I even remember Victorias's station in Dadeland! The last one standing was on 36 St by the airport, I think.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Default Victoria Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I even remember Victorias's station in Dadeland! The last one standing was on 36 St by the airport, I think.
Yep, and the vacant restaurant/traincars are still there on 36th Street, I believe for sale. The place has been abandoned for some years now. After it was Victoria Station, it was some latin restaurant briefly, then that closed, has been vacant since. Looks like its falling apart. If I remember correctly, VS's signature dish was ribs, good ones at that.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Yep, and the vacant restaurant/traincars are still there on 36th Street, I believe for sale. The place has been abandoned for some years now. After it was Victoria Station, it was some latin restaurant briefly, then that closed, has been vacant since. Looks like its falling apart. If I remember correctly, VS's signature dish was ribs, good ones at that.
Yep, you are right... what a shame, it was such a nice place... Great food as I remember...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 88,564 times
I lived in Miami and later Ft Lauderdale as a kid in the late sixties-early seventies but haven't been back since, so my memories are a little bit limited.

A couple of people have mentioned the Army-Navy Store, and someone else mentioned Eagle. Weren't they the same store - Eagle Army-Navy? There were quite a few of them around the area.

There was a hotel with a lighthouse outside - I thought it was called the Newport, but the Newport I found online doesn't look anything like the one I remember.

How about a pizza place called Meyers? (not sure the spelling's right)

Our local movie house (the 163rd Street Theater) used to have kids' morning matinees by subscription - you bought the whole season's worth of tickets all at once (or rather, your parents bought them as a way to get you out of the house once a week). Does anyone else remember that?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Coincidentally I found out today the old Victoria Station is in the works to become a self-storage place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami