Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times

Advertisements

Wolfie's closed with a lot of fanfare, I think it's been over a year now? We used to go to Castle Park all the time. There used to be a Winn-Dixie at Midway Mall, my brother got his first job there in high school. Now it's the Home Depot parking lot. I don't remember the Midway Skating Center, although it sounds familiar. I also used to love the Tropicaire flea market/drive in... good times! Just think, someday our children or their children will be reminiscing about the stuff we're complaining about now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyadei View Post
OMG I was born and raised in Miami and I remember all places mention in the posts. So sad to say pretty much all have been reeplaced with something else. Although I think Wolfie's is still around, I think.?? I use to love the Tropicaire/Flea Market at the drive in on Bird Road. Castle Park, OMG does anyone remember Midway Skating Center off Flager and 84th? The old Midway Mall, now Mall of the Americas. Times have changed, Miami has changed... I want the old MIA back!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
This thread is great! I remember all these places - it is so strange to hear some of the names thrown out there like SuperX, Zayre's and Lionel Play World. All once so familiar, now gone forever! Taco Viva - I have one vivid memory of going there in my mom's car, don't know why since it wasn't really that significant.

I remember when I was pretty young a place called Sens(sp?) Five and Ten (I think in the Suniland area). My mom would take us there for various things. One of the last five and dime stores around in the area I guess. There was also Mr. Pottery long before Pottery Barn existed (although it was VERY different).

I also remember going to Diamonds a lot! Wow! We also went to Craft World in the plaza at 107th and Kendall - just so happened to be next to a Pantry Pride and a J(ackson) Byrons was also in that shopping center.

There was this little restaurant called Chicken Unlimited at the SW corner of 97th and Kendall that we used to get take-out from a lot when I was a kid. It has been many things since then.

Crazy flashback! Keep it going!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM

546 posts, read 2,148,006 times
El Pollo Supremo - Coral Way and 97 ave

Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM

53 posts, read 416,283 times
There was a Chicken Unlimited on Bird and 66ave. Their is a Chinese restaurant there now. The skating center on flagler is now a big church or something along those lines.
How about Jumbo supermarket on 8th street and 92 or 97 ave? They had the best Cuban bread! There was also a killer chinese restaurant in the same mall as Jumbo called Fung Wong I think there is a Canton there now.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish75 View Post
How about Jumbo supermarket on 8th street and 92 or 97 ave? They had the best Cuban bread! There was also a killer chinese restaurant in the same mall as Jumbo called Fung Wong I think there is a Canton there now.

In the 1970's there was a Pantry Pride in that strip mall on 8th Street & 97th Ave, we used to shop there regularly. Now it is a Goodwill store, a nice one at that. Back then, Publix was closed on Sundays and I thought was for the "rich" people, lol. We must all be rich now, because that's pretty much all we have. I also remember that Chinese restaurant, and there used to be a Carvel there, too. There was also a pizza parlor there.

As for Taco Viva... "When you say Taco... Say Viva."

Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I remember as a kid going to Midway Mall. The Home Depot site was originally a Woolco. The biggest stores there were a store I forgot and Richards, the store I forgot became Jeffersons and was lost in the 80.s There was a bingo hall near the entrance to the mall from the parking lot, I remember it from the thick smoke comming out of the doors. One memory from Richard's was the time I first saw PONG the video game. For some reason I can still flash back to those days. Before Jefferson came in the escalators in the store were stepless to allow shopping carts to go from both floors. I heve never seen that in any store since!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 53,588 times
Hi Folks,

I'm new here, but couldn't resist joining in the nostalgic memories of Miami and South Florida. I don't think the folowing places from the 60's nd 70' were mentioned yet:

Pirates World Amusement Park in Dania (I loved...and feared the steeple chase ride-merry-go-round like horses on a roller coaster track), The Painted Horse Smorgasbord in Miami, viewing airplanes from the rooftop observation deck at Miami-International Airport, Dogtrack at South Beach (best surf spot in South Florida), Castaways Hotel (Chinese style architecture) at Collins Ave and 163 St on Miami Beach, The Hollywood Sportatorium (I saw lots of great concerts there) and Hollywood Speedway and Drag Strip (the area is now filled with houses in western Pembroke Pines)

In Hialeah: The Big Slide on 49th Street, Figaro's Pizza (they showed old movies including the Little Rascals and The 3 Stooges), Richards Department Store, Stevens Grocery Store, Hialeah Speedway, drag racing at Amelia Earhart field, Hialeah Horse Track (also Tropical Park Horse Track in Miami), mantees in various canals (we used to feed them old lettuce from the dumpster of Grand Union on 12 Ave and 68 St), swamp buggies and airboats in many yards, being able to cross the Palmetto expressway at intersections with no traffic lights...

I hope some of you remember these things

Dave H.

Last edited by Dave H.; 01-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: more additions

Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 PM

40 posts, read 230,008 times
Club Nu
Warsaw
La Carreta in South Beach......best cuban food 24hrs.

Anyone remember Nepenthe in Ft. Lauderdale?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
Club Nu
Warsaw
La Carreta in South Beach......best cuban food 24hrs.

Anyone remember Nepenthe in Ft. Lauderdale?
How about The Edge in Ft Lauderdale?

Skylight Express at the Town and Country Mall (dress to impress at skylight express) LOL!

Amnesia in SoBe (that was more around the early 90s)...

Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 230,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
How about The Edge in Ft Lauderdale?

Skylight Express at the Town and Country Mall (dress to impress at skylight express) LOL!

Amnesia in SoBe (that was more around the early 90s)...

Ugh...the Edge!!!! It's 10:00am and the sun is out!

Amnesia.......which club was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami