Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 02:56 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,772 times

Advertisements

The other video was J Geils Band- Love Stinks!
I went to see The Eagles with Bob Seger at Miami Stadium, as well as Boston. Now that the OB is being torn down, I can include Springsteen, Stones, Jackson 5, Rod Stewart and oh so many Canes and Fins games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM

100 posts, read 503,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
What was the name of the club at the Omni hotel in the early 80"s? That was the time of the Cocaine cowboys, and I remember gunfights at intersections in South Dade. I went to Killian HS in the 70's, and remember sitting behind a guy with an afro so big that I couldn't see the teacher. I worked at the Publix in Suniland (now a Helath food store). I owned a Baseball card store in the shopping center where the Serpentarium used to be. Joe Dimaggio ate dinner at the Italian restaurant in that strip center. I used to go to Miami Jai alai on Saturday nights- got in for a buck- cheap date! I used to pick strawberries at Burr's in South Dade, and got to know Charlie Burr real well. He passed away about 5 years ago or so. I remember when Dadeland was not a mall, and you could ride your bike on the sidewalk along US 1 to get there. I used to shag lost golf balls next to the Palmetto Golf course on US 1 and 152-160 Street. I sold the balls for a dime to the pro shop. I used to deliver the Miami News after school, and stop half way through my route for a Coke at 7-11. Probably cost me a quarter? Saw Star Wars at the Dixie Drive in when it came out, saw Saturday Night Fever and Aliens at Dadeland. Saw ET about a dozen times at Suniland Theater. Went to Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday nights in the Grove. Even dressed up and threw rice!
The clubs at the Omni you are thinking of are the Alexandre and Scaramouche.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Thats right! I remember Scaramouche had a dance floor that would rise up like an elevator. I also remember all of the coke and sex going on right on the dance floor...

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Great times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
The other video was J Geils Band- Love Stinks!
I went to see The Eagles with Bob Seger at Miami Stadium, as well as Boston. Now that the OB is being torn down, I can include Springsteen, Stones, Jackson 5, Rod Stewart and oh so many Canes and Fins games.
Those were great times! We would come down from Boca for a lot of these - my company one time would rent big busses for everyone! The Eagles, Springsteen, Boston - good, good times!!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post

On an unrelated note, does anyone remember the old Miami baseball stadium? Where exactly was that? I remember seeing the Boston Orioles doing spring training there, and I went to see Aerosmith/Journey play there sometime in the '80s. Anyone else have any memories there?

Miami Stadium was at 2301 NW 10 Ave. I remember going there as a kid and watching the Miami Dolphins practice when George Wilson was coach. Years later I saw the Rossington/Collins Band.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
Miami Stadium was at 2301 NW 10 Ave. I remember going there as a kid and watching the Miami Dolphins practice when George Wilson was coach. Years later I saw the Rossington/Collins Band.
Looks like a relatively new apartment complex is there now, surrounded by the pre-existing older buildings. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM

I saw Boston with Bob Seger at the Miami Stadium on Easter Sunday. When Boston came out, we could feel the ground vibrate from their keyboards. I also saw the Baby Orioles for years, when Cal Ripken played for them (gee I am old!). I remember seeing Harmon Killebrew hit a ball over the buildings next to the stadium and out onto I95. I used to think about that each time I drove by the Stadium.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,421 times
NICSMA...

The Rhodes Bros have been perfroming a couple of times a year at the Miami Elks Lodge on Sunset Drive. The last 2 times have been SRO (capacity 375). Next performance is Sat March 8th (Sold Out)

Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned yet...
U Tote'M stores (7-11 rivals)
the Riviera Theater on S. Dixie (25 cent kiddie matinees on Saturday)
Howard Johnson's restaurant in the Coral Gables Bus Terminal
The Burger Castle on Red Rd. near Sunset (my first job!)
Dobbs House coffee shops
Black Diamond Inn--Italian food on Lejuene somewhere between Airport & Coral Gables
Putt Putt Golf on 8th St west of the Palmetto
Holsum Bread Bakery in S. Miami
the open-air Royal Castle downtown
Burdines downtown
the huge Walgreen's downtown
Kress 5 and dime
Shorty's Barbeque on S Dixie
Hickory House (?) Barbeque on Bird Road
Those funky old pale blue MTA city buses with the bars on the windows
Someone mentioned M. T. Graves, but remember the same guy played a previous science fiction move host called Captain M. T. Space
WFUN radio
Those cheesy Johnnie & Mack by the Railroad Track commercials (the World's Largest, and That's a Fact!)
The Lee Vogel Show (liberal talk radio)
Shotgun houses on dirt alleys off of Grand Avenue in the Coconut Grove ghetto
U of M home football games at the old Orange Bowl

Old 03-08-2008, 03:33 AM

Shorty's BBQ is still there I believe...
Anyone remember Broadway Joe's Restaurant on US 1? I believe it was Joe Namath's chain.
What about being able to park next to MIA and watch the planes land...
The Famous restaurant in South Beach, I had my Bar Mitzvah dinner there...
A & W had a restaurant in South Dade, with curb side service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami