Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 53,562 times

Advertisements

I moved to South Florida in 1968, so remember that period on.

I forgot about Jeffersons. I remember those stepless escalators. Woolco...I remember buying a Mossberg shotgun there. I used to always go to Diamonds with my mom so she dcould buy craft materials. Along the same lines as Lurias, and Service Merchandise, there was Best. A couple of my friends worked at Treasury and later Gold Triangle which had great fishing gear. The Barefoot Mailman store at Dadeland. Along with Grand Union and Publix (I worked there for $1.60 (plus sneaking tips) and liked having Sundays off), there was also Food Fair Supermarket. I remember when there was no Westland Mall in Hialeah. Burdines sat alone and to go there was considered "going out West." Northside shopping center on 27th Ave was considered the place to shop if you lived in Hialeah. Before Builders Square, Home Depot, and Lowes, we had Lindsley Lumber.
Nepenthe, Amnesia, yep I remember them. How about The Other Place (OP) in Hialeah Gardens (famous for its "Drink n' Sink" nights), Ma Grundys, I don't know if Keg West and Keg South are still around in Kendall? The legal drinking age was 18 (which I looked at 15) so I guess I lost too many brain cells to remember all the other ones! LOL

While my family ate chicken, I used to love the Whamberger at Chicken Unlimited. Breakfast at Sambos. Taco Viva was always my favorite with all of the sauces. It's nice to see some landmarks like Arbetter's Hot Dogs still exist...I will have to go check it out. I remember Coney Island Hot Dogs on 163rd Street. Jackie Gleason's restaurants, Broadway Joe's (Namath) Restaurants, The Black Angus, Ranch House restaurants, New England Oyster House, the Playboy Club on 79th St and Biscayne Blvd, Big Daddys Bars.

Before Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine and KC, there was Wayne Cochrane,the Rhodes Brothers, and Steve Alaimo. Of course before that there was Arthur Godfrey and Jackie Gleason (my friend was his neighbor and paperboy...on Halloween he would but out a bowl silver dollars), andon an on. Who could ever forget the comedian Tubby Boots? Ice skating at the Polar Palace and playing Putt Putt on 36th Street.

It's all starting to come back to me. Hmmm...contrary to popular belief, I guess Miami wasn't recently built out of the swamp and really did exist before its recent "transformation." ;-)

Dave H.

Last edited by Dave H.; 01-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times
Dave, thanks for reminding me about Jeffersons. We used to go there all the time. I think another name for it was Jefferson Ward, like Montgomery Ward in other areas. I also remember Black Angus and Coney Island Hot Dogs. I think Coney Island was there until recently. I also remember the Playboy Club - went there for dinner once - and Big Daddy's lounges.

We used to live in North Miami Beach in the 70's and I think I remember shopping at a supermarket called Cress or something like that. I was a kid so I'm not sure. It was a Winn Dixie in the 90's; not sure what it is now. There was a small drugstore called Tarasch across the street we'd used to go to, and a pizza parlor next to that that made the best pizzas. I think all that's gone now. I doubt anyone will remember any of these places; I think they were kind of obscure.

Maybe some of you will remember Beefsteak Charlie's? You could see their sign off the Palmetto going westbound. This was in the 70's. There also used to be a putt-putt golf place on 163rd street, right where you got off I95, near where the Coppertone billboard used to be. Used to go there all the time as a kid; last time I went was in the early 90's. I think it's a gas station now.

Dave, did you know the Rhodes brothers are still around? They have some performances coming up soon. DM me if you want more info.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I also remember the Bird Road and 107 ave intersection, it was 2 lanes on 107, and on one corner was the A and P supermarket and a Royal Castle, across the street was Winn Dixie super x and Army-navy stores. My dad would test the TV and radio tubes there when it needed service. We often went to Coral Gables Federal bank, which is still kind of there, owned by someone else. Further up Bird was the Lurias, a bank and a supermarket that became Basics, a roach infested budget market. On 112 and Bird there was the Concord library and the Concord shopping center with bars, doctors and dentists, a gun store and the Chase bank I opened my first savings account in. The Xtra market was built later. I got my driver's license in the shopping center. Mom used to love the Carrol music store.

Bird still has the "nostalgic crossroads" between 97 AVE and 87 Ave. You can find Arbetters, Frankies , Bird bowl and other longtime businesses there.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 53,562 times
Hi nicsma2002,

You're right I think Jeffersons was bought out by Montgomery Ward and was Jefferson Ward for a while. I was raised in the Hialeah-Miami Lakes area, but some time in the North Miami Beach and Miami Beach areas. Cress Supermarket does sound familiar. I ate at Beefsteak Charlie's a few times. I remember the putt-putt golf course on 163rd street. Who could forget the Coppertone billboard...it was one of the highlights of my young life, when we went to Haulover Beach on summer weekends. The Rhodes brothers must have discovered the fountain of youth or are animatronic.

Hey Tallrick,

It's been a while since I have drove down Bird. Thanks, I will definitely stop in Arbetters! We used to spend a lot of times at Army-navy stores. I always wanted to try out those bulb testers!

Dave H.

Last edited by Dave H.; 01-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I got my driver's license in the shopping center.
So did I... I had forgotten about the driver's license office being there... I also forgot about the Carroll's Music Store...

Wow that was a real flashback! That mall looks nothing like it did...

I remember a place called Plantation Pit (BBQ joint) in the shopping center on 117ave and Bird... My parents used to take us there on the weekends..

Anyone remember Gabe's burgers on LeJeune and north of NW 7st?... 99 cent burgers...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
So did I... I had forgotten about the driver's license office being there... I also forgot about the Carroll's Music Store...

Wow that was a real flashback! That mall looks nothing like it did...

I remember a place called Plantation Pit (BBQ joint) in the shopping center on 117ave and Bird... My parents used to take us there on the weekends..

Anyone remember Gabe's burgers on LeJeune and north of NW 7st?... 99 cent burgers...
I think I also got my first driver license there (my restricted)... I don't remember Carroll's Music Store, though. I do remember a BBQ place on 117th and Bird, but I didn't realize it was gone?! Geez, I need to pay attention next time I drive by there. There used to be the Book Barn around there, where you could buy and sell used books. That's probably gone, too. I've been bowling at Bird Bowl recently, though I have to admit I like Lucky Strike at Dolphin Mall better.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,418 times
Bird Bowl needs to invest some money in the place to compete...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 120,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
I grew up in the 80s when the BMX thing was a craze and I remember racing BMX at Boystown which was on 137ave close to Tamiami Airport...( I think it's a strip mall now)... Concord Movie Theatre where the Home Depot is at now on Bird Road...

How about Six Flags Atlantis??? The only water park in this area for years... Still never had another come up...
Wow Boystown I used to race there when I was a little kid, but BMX is still a craze for me. I dont race anymore though just do freestyle BMX.

And how can I forget Six Flags I use to love to go there. Everytime I drive by Oakwood Plaza I relive the memories I have had there.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Mom used to love the Carrol music store.
I worked at Carrol music for a few years. It was moved to another outparcel in the same mall by the time I got there,but I used to go as a customer to the original store for years. Same 2 (basicly) people owned it for about 30 years. Mom and pop music stores really have to struggle nowadays.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 AM

100 posts, read 503,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theloneliest Monk View Post
Wow Boystown I used to race there when I was a little kid, but BMX is still a craze for me. I dont race anymore though just do freestyle BMX.

And how can I forget Six Flags I use to love to go there. Everytime I drive by Oakwood Plaza I relive the memories I have had there.

That picture brings back great memories. On the subject of water parks, perhaps someone here can finally shed light on a long-standing mystery for me: I distinctly remember a water park somewhere in North Miami or perhaps South Broward in the late 70s called Water Boggan that predated Six Flags. It was a much smaller place and you had to slide down on these big, unwieldy rubber blue mats because the slides' surfaces were not smooth. Can anyone please confirm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami