Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be memorable to name well-known people and places that were a part of Miami at one time but are no longer here. Who are some of your favorite well-known celebrities who have died and what are your favorite places or establishments that have been demolished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I miss Hialeah Lanes, the Coliseum, Don Carter's Kendall lanes, Sweden House smorgasbord, Dixie drive in, Tropicare drive in, the Serpentarium, Miami wax museum, Crandon park, the old main library, bayfront auditorium, coral way drive in, pizza palace, Royal castle, Biscaya hotel, dupont plaza, and many others not demolished but out of business.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 88,564 times
I only lived in Miami for a couple of years, age 10-11, before moving to Fort Lauderdale where I went to high school (Stranahan, class of '72). Been living here in St Louis, MO since then, haven't been back to South Florida. It seems from your post that a lot of the things I remember are gone. I bowled at the Coliseum, ate at Sweden House and Royal Castle, and visited the Wax Museum.

There are a few other memories that I know are now gone: Charlie Baxter as MT Graves; Skipper Chuck Zink; Dolphins' games on the radio with Rick Weaver and Larry King (yes THAT Larry King); sports reports with Morris McLemore and Joe Cronin (Channel 7?); the thrill of watching the Jackie Gleason Show broadcast live from Miami every week; the annual arrival of Santa at the downtown Jordan Marsh; Baltimore Orioles games on TV and radio.

My favorite pizza came from a place called Meyer's - any idea if that's still around? Sticking with restaurants, how about Wolfie's for corned beef and ice cream? Lum's, with their beer-steamed hot dogs? Is Royal Castle completely gone? - they'd just switched over to a completely automated ordering system when I lived there, and changed their name to Royal Carouselle.

The two big grocery chains were Winn-Dixie and Food Fair. Are they still around, or have they been usurped?

Are there still fishing piers adjacent to the public beaches? I specifically remember Haulover Pier. I once saw a guy catch a huge barracuda off that pier, just yards from bathers - is that still around?

So many questions - what do others remember about Miami in the mid-late 1960's, into the early 1970's?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
I grew up in the 80s when the BMX thing was a craze and I remember racing BMX at Boystown which was on 137ave close to Tamiami Airport...( I think it's a strip mall now)... Concord Movie Theatre where the Home Depot is at now on Bird Road...

There used to be a movie theatre also on Coral Way and 87 Ave where Ross is at now...

Does anyone remember Lionel's Playworld which was crushed by Toys R Us...

I remember the Serpentarium on US1 and I also remember the Crandon Park Zoo on Key Biscayne... How about Planet Ocean on Key Biscayne?? It's not the MAST Academy school... I remember going on so many field trips there...

I do remember LUMS on 8st and 107 ave by FIU... what an awesome restaurant it was when I was a kid, I loved it..

Tropicaire Flea Market/Drive In is now Target/Best Buy...

Let's not forget Castle Park off the Palmetto and Flagler now an apt complex...

Also Mall of the Americas was called and Midway Mall and there was a skating rink across the street (Midway Skating Rink) where I had a ton of bday parties...I think there was one on 87ave and Bird Road as well (Tropical Skating?)...

How about Taco Viva?

Pirates on Coral Way??

The OMNI Mall had a great arcade complex with a merry go round and a movie theatre that I loved going to...

Lila's Restaurant on Coral Way next to JByrons?

Woolworth's in Downtown?

Pantry Pride supermarkets? Xtra Supermarkets? Grand Union Supermarkets?

LOL...

How about Six Flags Atlantis??? The only water park in this area for years... Still never had another come up...

Zayre's in Westchester?

Anyone used to go Diamonds on 57ave and NW 7st to get materials for projects??

OK, that's it... I am tapped out... Hope this helped...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
I used to ride my bike to boystown to watch the races.. long time ago!
and used to work at taco viva!

I miss Mars bar, saved me the drive to the beach to have a good time!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
Spyderman, you and I must have run in the same circles in the 80's, because I remember all of these things like the back of my hand. This was my turf! My best friend even did the BMX thing. I have a lot of memories in all of those places you mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
I grew up in the 80s when the BMX thing was a craze and I remember racing BMX at Boystown which was on 137ave close to Tamiami Airport...( I think it's a strip mall now)... Concord Movie Theatre where the Home Depot is at now on Bird Road...

There used to be a movie theatre also on Coral Way and 87 Ave where Ross is at now...

I remember the Serpentarium on US1 and I also remember the Crandon Park Zoo on Key Biscayne... How about Planet Ocean on Key Biscayne?? It's not the MAST Academy school... I remember going on so many field trips there...

I do remember LUMS on 8st and 107 ave by FIU... what an awesome restaurant it was when I was a kid, I loved it..

Also Mall of the Americas was called and Midway Mall and there was a skating rink across the street (Midway Skating Rink) where I had a ton of bday parties...I think there was one on 87ave and Bird Road as well (Tropical Skating?)...

How about Taco Viva?

Pirates on Coral Way??

The OMNI Mall had a great arcade complex with a merry go round and a movie theatre that I loved going to...

Woolworth's in Downtown?

LOL...

How about Six Flags Atlantis??? The only water park in this area for years... Still never had another come up...

Zayre's in Westchester?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post

How about Taco Viva?

Pirates on Coral Way??

Woolworth's in Downtown?

LOL...

Zayre's in Westchester?

It's scary, I remember all these places ! Definately remember Lional Play world where my parents bought their first computer, an Aquarius! Also remember Mr Donut nearby where the cops would chase me when I rode the mini-bike near my friend's house. There was a skating rink next to Bird Bowl and across the street from Don Carter's as well.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's scary, I remember all these places ! Definately remember Lional Play world where my parents bought their first computer, an Aquarius! Also remember Mr Donut nearby where the cops would chase me when I rode the mini-bike near my friend's house. There was a skating rink next to Bird Bowl and across the street from Don Carter's as well.
There was also a place called Riverboat Playhouse on Kendall and 137Ave... Those were fun times...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Spyderman, you and I must have run in the same circles in the 80's, because I remember all of these things like the back of my hand. This was my turf! My best friend even did the BMX thing. I have a lot of memories in all of those places you mentioned....
That was also my stomping ground... Great times... I had a flashback moment yesterday because I ordered a Hutch Racing Team T-Shirt off of Cafepress and it came in yesterday.. My wife was probably thinking I am a nerd or stuck in the moment....

LOL...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM

53 posts, read 416,115 times
Wow!! Weird flashbacks. Did Lilas close for real? I will sure miss that mountain of french fries with that paper thin steak buried underneath! Pirates, I totally forgot about that. Anyone remember Lindsay (sp.) Lumber on 8th street and 127? ave? My fathers favorite stomping ground back in the day. How about the restaurant on 87th and Coral Way, nw corner, I believe it was called Westward Ho?? I used to live right next to that LUMS by FIU and Taco Viva rocked!! What about that place by Dadeland mall called the Golden Pyramid? Remember that one. Keep this one going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami