Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM

289 posts, read 450,249 times

Advertisements

Back behind Riverboat was Aspen Drugs. They had shirts that said 'How's Your Aspen?' As an eight year old (give or take) I thought it was the funniest thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasolt View Post
I only lived in Miami for a couple of years, age 10-11, before moving to Fort Lauderdale where I went to high school (Stranahan, class of '72). Been living here in St Louis, MO since then, haven't been back to South Florida. It seems from your post that a lot of the things I remember are gone. I bowled at the Coliseum, ate at Sweden House and Royal Castle, and visited the Wax Museum.

There are a few other memories that I know are now gone: Charlie Baxter as MT Graves; Skipper Chuck Zink; Dolphins' games on the radio with Rick Weaver and Larry King (yes THAT Larry King); sports reports with Morris McLemore and Joe Cronin (Channel 7?); the thrill of watching the Jackie Gleason Show broadcast live from Miami every week; the annual arrival of Santa at the downtown Jordan Marsh; Baltimore Orioles games on TV and radio.

My favorite pizza came from a place called Meyer's - any idea if that's still around? Sticking with restaurants, how about Wolfie's for corned beef and ice cream? Lum's, with their beer-steamed hot dogs? Is Royal Castle completely gone? - they'd just switched over to a completely automated ordering system when I lived there, and changed their name to Royal Carouselle.

The two big grocery chains were Winn-Dixie and Food Fair. Are they still around, or have they been usurped?

Are there still fishing piers adjacent to the public beaches? I specifically remember Haulover Pier. I once saw a guy catch a huge barracuda off that pier, just yards from bathers - is that still around?

So many questions - what do others remember about Miami in the mid-late 1960's, into the early 1970's?
Publix sold almost 80% of the groceries bought in Miami last year.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr2c View Post
It's practically a monopoly.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I recall a grocery store next to the current liquor store on Galloway and about S.W. 71st. The Sunset Corners liquor store also dates to that era. The bar next door to the liquor store, The Hex, IIRC.

Linda's Subs is still there across Galloway.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
There was a bodega around that area, el primero, they had one of those exterior bars, it was in Galloway, after the water treatment plants. There was not much more at that time.

As to supermarkets, wynn dixie was all around, but there were many private ones not belonging to chains.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
There was a cuban supermarket around that area, el primero, they had one of those exterior bars, it was in Galloway, after the water treatment plants. There was not much more at that area at that time.

As to supermarkets, wynn dixie was all around, but there were many private ones not belonging to chains.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr2c View Post
They need to bring Wegman's to Miami. Will blow crap old Publix out of the water.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
They need to bring Wegman's to Miami. Will blow crap old Publix out of the water.
Fat chance of that happening anytime soon. Even better than Wegman's was Jungle Jims in OH.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
Speaking of Publix, the replacement in the Miller Road Plaza is massive and starting to take its final shape. Now facing east and not north, like the original version. Looks like it has an extensive underground parking garage. Construction vehicles go in and out of that property all day.

Also, the Van Orsdel funeral home on Bird Road that was mentioned in this thread a few months ago has not been torn down. Last time I drove past that area it was lit at night and you could see into the building. Inner walls have been removed. Perhaps it's being remodeled, for Van Orsdel or another business, and not destined to be knocked down.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The El Segundo market was where the White Elephant center is now, but Sunset Corners liquor store still exists. The hardware store seems to still be in the old strip shopping center, where Galloway Restaurant was. I have heard they want to tear down the shops there to build a multi story development like the White Elephant that replaced El Segundo market and Casa Alberto it was remodeled into. There is some kind of Asian restaurant where the Hex bar was, and the old food stop was turned into a PharmaCity which has been closed for months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami