Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Falls Mall was great. I hope it still is. I will find out when I visit Miami again in January 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 41,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Ching Guy View Post
I miss the Village Mall in Kendall, FL. The last time I saw it as the Village mall was in the last week of December 1984. Yes, there was a Carvel ice cream store there, and that pet store. I can't remember the name of it. There was also a Winn Dixie there on the south end. My first job was as a bagger there. I was 16. I believe the comic store you referred to was "The Front Page". It was a news stand with all kinds of newspapers, magazines and comic books. It was off the chain! I loved that store!

And then, I couldn't get back to Kendall, FL for a visit until the second week of February 2011. I knew that any of those stores could be gone by then, but at least I could finally, once again walk in the Village Mall, and show my fiance that place I told her about so many times. And then when we got there, I see that the only thing left of the mall was the drug store on the north end. It was now a CVS. All the rest of it was a University of Miami health center. That was such a disappointment :^(

Good call on The Front Page. My brother and I used to ride our bikes over there. They also had firecrackers and didn't mind selling them to 13 year-olds.

I liked how Winn Dixie had an interior side door exit that fed right into the interior mall.

Yeah everything in Miami is all about health care these days. It's not even due to the populace being aged. They're just really solicitous of their health. And whenever a new strip mall springs up, the store right on the corner is invariably a Walgreens (like where Don Carter's used to be at 137th and Kendall; when WaldenBooks north of MDC was on 112th and Kendall; on the SW corner of 104th and 117th; out by Plaza del Paraiso at 127th and 120th...)

Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 41,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
They need to bring Wegman's to Miami. Will blow crap old Publix out of the water.
Well I don't know about that. When Consumer Reports rates 60 to 70 grocery store chains every year, usually Wegman's is #1 and Publix is #2.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
I don't know how Publix does it. Maybe because they still offer exceptional customer service and the stores are clean. Their meat, seafood and produce are awful. Seems like a pretty important part of being a great grocery store to me. It is better than Winn-Dixie and Sedanos though, pretty much the only other options.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
How is their meat,seafood and produce awful?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I don't know how Publix does it. Maybe because they still offer exceptional customer service and the stores are clean. Their meat, seafood and produce are awful. Seems like a pretty important part of being a great grocery store to me. It is better than Winn-Dixie and Sedanos though, pretty much the only other options.
I have found better meat at Presidente! Sedano's is usually too expensive. Produce at Publix seems to vary by store. Meat and seafood are way overpriced for what they are. Publix can be cheaper that Presidente on regular consumer items but any serious shopper knows which stores rip you off on what items.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Presidente = Not inspected by the USDA. Enjoy that meat.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-21-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I know my mother who loves to buy things on sale bought a meat there years ago and it was so nasty she has never considered buying meat there again. It was probably not from a cow lol.

Presidente though has "some" good imported products that they sell cheaper than the other stores. I have bought a few from Spain (turrones, Magdalenas, olives) but their inventory is not consistent. Their produce is average.

Publix produce doesn't particularly impress me. I find it very similar to Winn Dixie and Sedanos. Their stores are cleaner though.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think by law it has to be inspected by the USDA but it doesn't have to be graded.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:41 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I think by law it has to be inspected by the USDA but it doesn't have to be graded.
And Doctor's have to be licensed and educated, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people practicing medicine in Miami either. I guess we now know where the butchered horses end up...

Was just down in Miami and the couple of Publix Markets I went to had OK meat and decent produce. Same as it was for the previous 30 years I was down there before. Some Publix Markets are better than others. Still can't beat Fresh Market in quality - although you can beat them price wise...

I can't even afford to breathe the air in a Whole Paycheck. (Foods). I did like Trader Joe's though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami