Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 44,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
How about the Orange Julius at Midway Mall? I miss that place. Not the food so much, but the frothy orange drink.
There is an Orange Julius in the Southland Mall (formerly known as the Cutler Ridge Mall). It is pretty far south - right off the Turnpike - between Caribbean and 211th Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Kelly's Restaurant Was The Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Kelly's Restaurant on Kendall Drive and 107Ave...

How about the Victoria Station restaurants that were like trains all meshed together... That place rocked...
I cannot believe I just wrote a title that looks like it came from a kid in middle school, but Kelly's was the bomb. The rolls they served, which were kind of sweet and I think came with honey butter, were unbelievable.

My family has lived right there in that area for the better part of 60 years. The places to eat in Kendall, and in all of Miami-Dade County as a whole, are absolutely horrendous compared to every other major (and even every minor) metropolitian area in this country.

On another note, we do not even have supermarkets which are open 24 hours. This place is a "bucket shop" but I have already grown used to it and learned how to deal with it.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,418 times
Kelly's had like a Koi (big goldfish) pond at the entrance, right? or am I imagining that?

The food did rock, as far as I can remember... Did they serve like goldfish crackers in bowls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFCCON123 View Post
I cannot believe I just wrote a title that looks like it came from a kid in middle school, but Kelly's was the bomb. The rolls they served, which were kind of sweet and I think came with honey butter, were unbelievable.

My family has lived right there in that area for the better part of 60 years. The places to eat in Kendall, and in all of Miami-Dade County as a whole, are absolutely horrendous compared to every other major (and even every minor) metropolitian area in this country.

On another note, we do not even have supermarkets which are open 24 hours. This place is a "bucket shop" but I have already grown used to it and learned how to deal with it.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Does anyone remember Snack Shack? I used to go to the one in Westchester Mall. I went to a movie once across the street and for some reason Joan Rivers was there. Maybe she was in it, can't remember.
There were movies on Kendall and 127th and Kendall and 140th. That shopping center used to have a Tony Roma's too.
I also remember The Depot on US1. And My Pi - I think they used the pi symbol - pizza place was hugely popular for awhile.
How about the dragon in Dadeland Mall? I used to love Farrell's in Westland mall. Such fun times there. And Picadilly's. Figaro's pizza too on 49th St.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertigerteahouse View Post
Does anybody remember the LUMS in coconut grove?
Is it the one that was on US1 a little north of UM? I used to eat there once a week when I went to school there. My dh worked at the Lums on Kendall and 127th.
I just remembered Pete & Lenny's from back in the disco era.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 70,469 times
My PI was great! Still remember the one in Dadeland Strip Mall in front of Shorty's!

Where were the other locations???

Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Default The answer is yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Kelly's had like a Koi (big goldfish) pond at the entrance, right? or am I imagining that?

The food did rock, as far as I can remember... Did they serve like goldfish crackers in bowls?
Kelly's did have Koi that swam in a small shallow pool which went under a little wooden bridge-like arched walkway.

Everytime I check this forum and see stuff about Kendall I cannot believe how many things have come and gone. When your family has lived in Kendall for about 60 years, you see a lot come and go.

Unfortunately, the restaurants out here in Kendall are not terribly good at all. I decided to eat organic food only so I eat at home almost exclusively.

I do miss the 'old' Kendall, but crowding is a consequence of rapid growth, especially when you have one of the country's worst urban planning systems. However, I tell my colleagues not to ***** because we have an abundance of clients as people are streaming into our county like a never ending flood.

When people ask me why I do not move somewhere less crowded, crazy, etc., I ask them how the hell can I leave the place where I have grown up and the city where almost all my clients live. I tell my colleagues to be extremely grateful that we work in a profession which is basically immune to a poor economy.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

19 posts, read 92,149 times
Default Man, I miss Miami today

For some reason today I googled Crandon Park Zoo. Found a bunch of photos of the zoo, the train, the red caboose that sat out front. I grew up on Key Biscayne in the 60s until I was about 10 (1970), then we moved to Coconut Grove.

But I remember going skating at the outdoor rink at Crandon Park, waiting in the woods by the little zoo train to catch a free ride, snorkling along the beach.

When I moved to the Grove I spent time at a roller rink in South Miami. Can't recall the name now. Spent a lot of time at Peacock park and hung around the Coconut Grove Yacht Club on weekend mornings trying to get picked up as a crew hand for the racing sailboats.

Jr High School was Ponce de Leon. When I went there was a little pizza place on US1 nearby that had the best garlic rolls ever and something called a Pizza Burger.

I've been gone from Miami for 20 years now, but I still miss it from time to time. It was great place to grow up.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM

13 posts, read 70,469 times
The pizza place was D'Pizza and next door was the stupendous VELVET CREME with their round johns!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM

19 posts, read 92,149 times
Default dpizza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertigerteahouse View Post
The pizza place was D'Pizza and next door was the stupendous VELVET CREME with their round johns!!!
Dpizza!! That's the place!

And Velvet Creme donuts. Man I spent many a late night sitting in that place eating round johns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami