Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM

139 posts, read 383,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paa-miami View Post
I am new to Forum...It looks like a great resource... I used to surf at 1st street South Beach...park at dog track parking lot...get wax from WEST COAST EAST surf shop ( I think I still have one of their window stickers...), Eat fresh bagels from the bagel shop next door... the only bathroom nearby was on the pier...the "old folks would sit at a little area just to the west of the pier...haha now I am just about one of them....They put a LUMS in...with beer steamed dogs...I surfed during Hurricane Betsy but not at South Beach because police were arresting surfers...I went to 21st and surfed in front of Eden Roc...I was going to put up a few photos from 65 but it looks like I need a web site to "host" them...
just outta curiosity and because my husband likes to surf, any cool surfing communities / clubs in miami that you could recommend to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
just outta curiosity and because my husband likes to surf, any cool surfing communities / clubs in miami that you could recommend to us?
Its been 40 years since I surfed...so I have been out of the loop...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 63,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happylower View Post
I'm trying to remember the name of a water park that was either in the late 70's or early 80's that I think was next to Dadeland Mall. Does anyone remember?
In the early 80's their was a Water Park that could be seen from the Palmetto Expy/826, it was at the 103 st exit in Hialeah where the Howard Johnson hotel is, previously the Park Plaza Hotel. The water slides were on the same spot as the hotel. If you look to the right of the hotel their is a small building that recently was a laser tag place, but before was a Christmas store among different things over the years. That small building was the arcade center that was part of the water park. The park was called The Water Bogon and a radio station called I-95 which was the Top 40 station back in the days would occasionally broadcast from there. A DJ named Cox on the Radio use to work at that station.

In addition there was a skating center behind the water park called Tropical North, that was the last skating center in Hialeah still open after the rest had closed. Later that building became a flea market, a BJs wholesale, and now Mater Academy is at that spot.

As for the Water Park, The Water Bogon, I can find no reference to it, but I vividly remember all the details I mentioned. Just curious maybe the OP was talking about this Park since the park he mentions falls into the following, it was located across a mall(in this case Westland Mall not Dadeland), he stated that it had an arcade next to it, which is also the case, and can be seen from the Highway.

I think they would not have to waterparks that close together, one by Westland Mall and the other by Dadeland Mall. Hopefully someone can remember this and can verify it. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paa-miami View Post
Its been 40 years since I surfed...so I have been out of the loop...
How old are you?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
How old are you?
I started surfing in 1964...as a college student at UM ...63

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM

56 posts, read 94,596 times
The beautiful tree canopy in Key Biscayne that was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992,it looked like darkness driving through there in the daytime before being wiped out.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM

122 posts, read 314,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williecpt View Post
In the early 80's their was a Water Park that could be seen from the Palmetto Expy/826, it was at the 103 st exit in Hialeah where the Howard Johnson hotel is, previously the Park Plaza Hotel. The water slides were on the same spot as the hotel. If you look to the right of the hotel their is a small building that recently was a laser tag place, but before was a Christmas store among different things over the years. That small building was the arcade center that was part of the water park. The park was called The Water Bogon and a radio station called I-95 which was the Top 40 station back in the days would occasionally broadcast from there. A DJ named Cox on the Radio use to work at that station.

In addition there was a skating center behind the water park called Tropical North, that was the last skating center in Hialeah still open after the rest had closed. Later that building became a flea market, a BJs wholesale, and now Mater Academy is at that spot.

As for the Water Park, The Water Bogon, I can find no reference to it, but I vividly remember all the details I mentioned. Just curious maybe the OP was talking about this Park since the park he mentions falls into the following, it was located across a mall(in this case Westland Mall not Dadeland), he stated that it had an arcade next to it, which is also the case, and can be seen from the Highway.

I think they would not have to waterparks that close together, one by Westland Mall and the other by Dadeland Mall. Hopefully someone can remember this and can verify it. Thanks
It was Water Boggan. There were two, the one in Hialeah Gardens just past the Palmetto and Westland and then there was also one in Pompano Beach. There was an arcade in Westland mall too which was across from Farrell's ice cream parlor. There is a Water Boggan in North Carolina now but I'm not sure if that is affiliated with the old FL owners. I think both Boggans in Hialeah and Pompano closed in the early 80's probably due to competition from Atlantis which had opened around then. I remember the blue mats well, a really fun place to hang out back in the day.

Last edited by exmbdude; 09-08-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 AM

4 posts, read 32,010 times
Gosh
What wonderfull memories.
Do you all remember the mini-golf and driving range on SW 8th Street and 85th avenue? Now it is a shopping center.
-Remember Colony golf on US-1 and 136th street. You played night time golf. Same thing.
-Fountainebleau Golf course - no more either.
-I went to LaSalle High (1969-1971)and took the bus to downtown Miami and walk through Burdines or went to a chinesse restaurant on sw 1st street and 1st avenue ( Canton).
-The Woolworth store.
-I went to Miramar Elementary School on NE 2nd avenue and 19th street. No more. Gone. Synagogue still there. I will never forget-Nov. 22, 1963- returning back to school at 1:00 pm from playing soccer (6th grade) and just as we were going to cross the street a teacher came out the front doors and screeming to my coach-the President is dead, over and over again. Will never forget that day.Gosh I used to walk by myself from 19th street to 25th street where I lived with no problems-(age 8 through 11 years old) Today I won't let my son (11 years old) ought of my sight, let alone walk by himself for one block and I live in great neighboorhood.
-Remember the cafeteria on 19th street and Biscayne Blvd? and the Piano store on the opposite corner? I used to sell newspapers of that corner at 10 cents.
-Bacardi is still on Biscayne and 22nd street on the west side-will be consider a historic site. However, headquarters just moved to Coral Gables.
-I do miss Lums that was on 12th avenue just before the bridge, and I used to sit and watch the police train their dogs on an open field on NW 12 Avenue and 10th street and eat my hot dogs at the old City of Miami Police station. Now it is a Winn Dixie I believe or a Publix.
-I use to grab my fishing rod, go with friends, grab a bus to the entrance of Key Biscayne and fish from the first bridge after the toll booth.
Finally, submarine races - and park off to the side of the Rickenbacker Causeway looking at the skyline and water right after a movie or a party.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM

296 posts, read 228,450 times
Does anyone remember when a/c started becoming standard equipment in homes..?

Did ceiling fans exist before a/c & if yes,since when..?

I guess noone could stand the heat without the fans & the a/c...

Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 PM

11 posts, read 37,716 times
The Village Inn Coconut Grove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami