Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 02:26 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times

Advertisements

Aww...yeah that African influence is strong in them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 05:14 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Sometimes I miss having a Basenji, but not too often lol. When we had just the one Basenji she would sleep on the bed. They're remarkably clean and very little odor. When we got another one? Nope- kicked to the crates. They would fight over the premium real estate on the bed- usually between the legs when given the opportunity.

They are heat seeking missiles. Our first Basenji would sleep under a blazing wood stove.
LOL! A friend's lab puppy would wedge itself under their fireplace barrel stove insert. Sometimes the whole room would smell like scorched dog. They were very glad when he grew too large to squeeze under it.

Grooming aside, some dog breeds are known for their doggy odor. Lab stink is notorious. Breeds that tend to have lots of skin folds and flop ears tend to be smellier. Obviously, a matted dog can smell. Other breeds are known for the lack of it. One of many things I like about Australian cattledogs is their lack of odor. It's a trait inherited from dingo ancestors, but it also has to do with their non-oily, wash and wear, relatively short coat. They didn't leave stains wherever they tended to lie: beds, carpet, couch, towel or blanket. The house or car never smelled like "dog" (maybe for a short time after a long walk in the rain) and they didn't tend to track the outdoors indoors either. Unless the dog managed to sneak off to roll in illicit stinkiness, nothing seemed to "stick" to their fur.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2024 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-16-2024, 08:44 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
In 1974 we moved into my stepfather's house. Whenever we had thunder and lightening or even strong wind, I found 75 lbs. of Royal Standard Poodle in my bed, licking my face, despite my recent arrival in the family. And the dog generally was not a licker.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:54 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 1974 we moved into my stepfather's house. Whenever we had thunder and lightening or even strong wind, I found 75 lbs. of Royal Standard Poodle in my bed, licking my face, despite my recent arrival in the family. And the dog generally was not a licker.
The poodle recognized kindness and compassion in you. I always trust the judgement of a dog.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:29 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No. Our dogs have not been allowed on any of the furniture. They had the choice of their own bed or sleeping in their open crate.
This. But mostly because I have always had big dogs. Maybe if I owned a small lapdog I could see it but I don't see that ever happening.

I see people with big dogs on the couch or in bed and I just shake my head. Nobody loves their dog more than I do but I will never seat my guest on a coach covered in dog hair, dirt or possible fleas, I can not believe so many do this. People who believe their dog comes inside perfectly clean are fooling themselves. No way will I allow hair, dirt or worse on my furniture, that goes double for our bed.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-17-2024 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-17-2024, 06:42 AM

11,404 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You are a rare bird then. I know very few people with a dog that I can't smell it the minute I walk into the house. My sis had a dachshund, most of the time I couldn't detect any odor, but man she had to bathe him all the time. When he died a couple of years ago, at the grand old age of 14, she said no more.
I have heard that Poodles don't smell. It makes me wonder how many of the million new Doodle breeds also don't smell.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have heard that Poodles don't smell. It makes me wonder how many of the million new Doodle breeds also don't smell.
They usually don't smell, at least as much as other breeds.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:25 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Our mini schnauzer does sleep in the bed.....the KNPV Dutch Shepherd, while she doesn't smell and sheds very little...takes up too much room.

Last edited by carcrazy67; 02-17-2024 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-17-2024, 12:29 PM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They usually don't smell, at least as much as other breeds.
As a poodle owner I can confirm that they don't smell and of course they don't shed either. Win, win for bed sharing!

Old 02-17-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
As a poodle owner I can confirm that they don't smell and of course they don't shed either. Win, win for bed sharing!
Do they bite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs