Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 AM

515 posts, read 1,559,848 times

Advertisements

This has been bugging me for a while now. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this...

Hubby and I have been married for nearly 8 years. We have a pretty normal relationship, in my opinion. We're both pretty hefty folks, and he's a fantastic bed hog! I don't mind sleeping on the edge of the bed, as I don't move much in my sleep anyway.

We relocated a few months ago when he got a promotion and a transfer. He moved in November, and the kids and I came down in February. He's decided now that he's used to sleeping alone again, he gets more rest that way. Yes, he is a light sleeper, and I can sleep through a tornado! There are some nights when he requests that I sleep in a different room, and he's even joked that I need my own bedroom.

He's never been good at sharing his things, i.e. his things are HIS things, and no one is to touch them, lest the wrath of GOD befall them! (Yes, a bit juvenile, I know, but at least he's predictable... lol!) It really did bother me, though, that yesterday morning, (I've been sick for a couple days) he asked me not to lay in the bed, and had asked me not to sleep with him last night. Am I just being petty about this, or do I have a right to be a little miffed that I have been kicked out of my own bed during an illness? Granted, he is the sole breadwinner, and that's why I feel really guilty about this bothering me like it does. Is it really so much of him to ask that I let him sleep how he wants to? (I did wash all the bedclothes yesterday, so as not to make him sick as well.)

This is such an issue to me because when he moved to our new home in November, he took the bed with him, and I slept on our loveseat or in a recliner for three months. I was so glad to have the bed back! Sleeping on living room furniture was very uncomfortable to me (I have problems with my neck), and my first night back on our pillowtop mattress was like heaven! Especially since we spent some time apart, sharing our nights is precious to me. He understands this, and has tried to be apologetic about removing me from his personal space. Still, I can't help but feel that he's trying to separate himself from me in some way. Am I overreacting? Should I fight for my bed space, or just take one for the team? (BTW, we do have extra sleeping quarters now, so I'm not sleeping in the chair! ) I love him dearly, but I love my bed, too!

Opinions, please?

~Danielle

Last edited by jtjmom; 03-01-2008 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Because I can't spell... DOH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,847,411 times
Fight for your bedspace, Sister! He's being a selfish ninny. If you allow this to continue, you'll find yourself with separate bedrooms.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:22 AM

515 posts, read 1,559,848 times
That's exactly what I'm afraid of too! I've been too stubborn to let it happen yet, but he's starting to push harder now.

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 AM

672 posts, read 2,127,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Fight for your bedspace, Sister! He's being a selfish ninny. If you allow this to continue, you'll find yourself with separate bedrooms.

Thats right! Hit him in the eye! Elbow him in the ribs! Kick him in the butt! Sneeze in his food! Eat beans, and pickled eggs and wait til you get in bed, and fart like a wild-woman!

No, I'm only kidding here cause I just-ain't right anyway! But I think you two should just figure out what is the most restful, and comfortable for both of you. And, sleeping in seperate beds is more common than many people think. In fact, if you have the time to search some of the older threads on the pages from farther on back, you will find a number of threads on this very subject. And, I recall reading some very good stuff in those older threads. I predict you two will work this thing out, and I send my best wishes your way!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,265,426 times
My husband and I sleep in separate beds that are pushed together to make it look like one big bed. We did it mostly because of the large dog that could push both of us out of the king sized bed at the same time.

We now have 2 queen beds. It works great for us. My husband likes a squishy pillow top and I like my high density memory foam. He likes regular sheets and I can't sleep on anything but flannel. Now when he hogs the covers I still have mine.

I bought 2 comforter sets that match. You have to look really close to be able to tell that it is not one bed (well, when it is made you have to look close). We took the wheels off of his bed frame to make up for the height difference between the pillow top and non pillow top.

I say take this opportunity to go find yourself a comfy new bed. I am sleeping so much better and have almost no back pain anymore.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
I think maybe twin beds may be appropriate if restful sleep for the both of you is what you want. I know it would be my preference.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,852,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
...when he moved to our new home in November, he took the bed with him, and I slept on our loveseat or in a recliner for three months.
That's crazy!

I spend a couple of weeks at a time at our new house getting ready for our final move. But I didn't take the bed, I bought another one.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 AM

72,444 posts, read 18,218,819 times
Can't you have 2 single beds? Or is it he wants his privacy?
My parents slept on 2 singles for 60 some years,they slept well like that. When they moved around the country,depend on the size of the bedrooms,they sometimes pushed the sigles together,so each still have their bed.
If he wants his privacy and his own room that's another story

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,411,799 times
For a long long time I slept on the couch in our living room. His snoring was terrible, and I would have to go out there and sleep. Sometimes I would be able to get to bed first. Fall asleep, and be able to stay that way.

We were going to move, and I always said I wanted my own room. We never moved, but I did, and now, I have my own bed, my own house, my own room.

Love it!

But in your case... fight for your bed!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 AM

775 posts, read 580,693 times
I don't think separate bedrooms are bad. I've known couples who are very close who wanted separate bedrooms, especially in middle age, when more emphasis is placed on creature comforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships