Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 01:56 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
It doesn't work like that in our household. They get down when I tell them and are only allowed up when I say so.
This. My dogs don't rule my house, I do. They are beloved, cared for, and respected...to a point. I wouldn't put up with a snarky rebellious child who doesn't behave and I wouldn't put up with a snarky dog that doesn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 03:09 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
The only time I will allow them in bed is when we're out hunting, in the camper or tent. At home no way unless you want this all night-

Old 02-15-2024, 04:20 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
I wonder how people reacted, those who say NO, when they saw "Seems Like Old Times"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw9TPR93kPk
I also wonder in the difference between opinions if the dogs are seen as family or not.

To me, they are.....totally.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:25 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I have a king bed, and I use a "blanket system". I have three blankets over my top sheet, with the BedSure (pet-proof) on top. The dogs are only allowed on that top blanket. They know it, and when I've moved that blanket off my side (because it's very hot), they move. I rarely have to say, "Scoot." They do not encroach on my side.

I have duplicates of each blanket so that when I'm washing one set I have the other ready. My room is also the one where the doggie door is, and where they are watered and fed, so unless it is raining, they have access to that room all the time. That BedSure has saved my sheets so many times.

I have the other blankets (a thicker velour-like one, and a cotton basketweave) because sometimes I like it cold and I snuggle under the covers, but otherwise I move that blanket over too and only have the light cotton one.
I use two throws on our bed and Boo sleeps on top of those. They are washed regularly.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:30 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
LOL. That picture. I don't know but there is nothing like having a warm dog softly breathing next to you.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:37 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
LOL. That picture. I don't know but there is nothing like having a warm dog softly breathing next to you.
My son has been doing that forever. Sleeps with the dogs in front of the fire.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Agree! My dogs have always been "polite" sleeping partners. I do recall the two Scotties our family had when we were kids. My parents didn't allow dogs on furniture without invitations on special occasions. The most common was a sick kid getting the special treat of a Scotty on their bed. Parent would walk into the room only to find the compact Scotties had taken over most of it, blissfully sprawled out, snoring away. The sniveling sick kid was wedged into a corner. All three still looked happy.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:55 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
NO dogs on the bed!

My hard and fast policy is, paws on the floor.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:38 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Never understood this. A housedog shares more than a bed and they have the same biological needs/functions the resident humans do. They also track the outdoors in, just like the humans do. Any "germs" in or on the dog are probably present everywhere. I don't know anyone who doesn't groom & bathe their dog to remove their more "unsanitary" aspects, who doesn't housetrain them or allows them to eat on furniture. There are all sorts of bed coverings that help manage dog hair/dander. Then there's laundry. Don't know about you, but I wash my bedding regularly! Thank goodness I'll never be a germaphobe!
I never understood this. Raccoons have the same biological needs as humans as well but I bet you won't invite one of them into your bed. Humans typically wear shoes outdoors. Dog will often lie outside or on a dirty floor. Don't even get me started on cats walking in litter boxes and then walking on counters where food is prepared. I doubt that too many people bathe their dog every day or every other day like humans do. I hope washing your bed regularly means every day but that seems like a lot of work. Germaphobes rarely catch colds or the flu. Maybe you should try it sometime.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
I posted this poem sometime last year but here it is again, so fitting for this thread. And yes, our current dog joins me in bed, especially in the winter, when she takes her chilly, sleek-coated self under the covers, like the other person's dachshund. (She is the first of our dogs to be allowed to sleep in our bed, even sometimes. We've gone soft....)

Dog in Bed

By Joyce Sidman

Nose tucked under tail,
you are a warm, furred planet
centered in my bed.
All night I orbit, tangle-limbed,
in the slim space
allotted to me.

If I accidentally
bump you from sleep,
you shift, groan,
drape your chin on my hip.

O, that languid, movie-star drape!
I can never resist it.
Digging my fingers into your fur,
kneading,
I wonder:
How do you dream?
What do you adore?
Why should your black silk ears
feel like happiness?

This is how it is with love.
Once invited,
it steps in gently,
circles twice,
and takes up as much space
as you will give it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs