Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times

Advertisements

Max, our adopted Golden mix has always been used to sitting on our stair landing as long as we have had him (about 3 years now). We had to resort to placing a carpet remnant on the landing as he has over time soiled the carpet on it, as well as the walls surrounding the landing with grit from his skin.

Today we are having the walls painted, including that surrounding the landing and want to discourage him from parking his behind there. Over the weekend, I bought him a dog bed and tried to cajole him into resting there. He is crated overnight but he roams the house freely during the day. Other than the landing, his favorite spots are on the area rug under the formal dining table, which is also where he brings every treat we give him and eats it there. To discourage him from sitting on the landing, I also sprayed that area with pet repellant, which works some times and doesn't at others.

He lays on his bed if led to it and stays there if someone sits next to him rubbing his tummy. If we try to encourage the behavior by giving him a treat, he jumps out of the bed and goes underneath the dining table to eat it. I have 30 days to return this dog bed, but I really would want to put in the effort to try to get him used to it. What else should I be doing besides constantly spraying repellant on the landing?

Suggestions welcome, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,576 times
Rather than forbidding the landing could you place the dog bed there for him to use?

The spray may or may not work. You have to be consistent in redirecting him off the landing every time he goes there. And, even if you're successful eventually in getting him to not lie on the landing when you are there, when you are not there to correct and redirect him all bets are off.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Rather than forbidding the landing could you place the dog bed there for him to use?

The spray may or may not work. You have to be consistent in redirecting him off the landing every time he goes there. And, even if you're successful eventually in getting him to not lie on the landing when you are there, when you are not there to correct and redirect him all bets are off.
I tried putting the bed on the landing, but he won't get into it and still insists on squeezing into the small area between the bed and the step. Besides, when he's on the landing, he does not move when we come down the stairs. We have to step over him at times. My 82 yo mother is coming to visit next month which is another reason why I can't have him on the landing anymore. He's a tripping hazard for my mom.

I may have to keep him crated when we're not around to correct him. At least the kids are off for the summer, but you know what happens when you give kids responsibilities such as these!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
It took me 7 years to get Shadow to lay on her bed.......

Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
He may get too hot on the bed. Macie is much more likely to use her bed in the winter.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,791 times
I dunno.... My dog doesn't like to lie on dog beds. I've never bought one because I noticed that when I put something soft in his kennel for him to lie on, he would always kick it out of the way. And when we'd got to my parents' or my brother's houses, he would never try to lie on the dog beds there. I'm just thinking that some dogs just plain ol' don't like them. (Just has individual people have preferences, I think individual dogs have preferences.)

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Uh-oh...I'm thinking it's too hot too, but his crate has a carpet liner, and he doesn't mind that. Maybe some dogs just don't like beds! My ShihTzu Amy loved her bed and wouldn't go anywhere. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then just return it, if it doesn't fly with him. As long as he keeps off the landing, I'm happy with that.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
The bed should be where he gets his treats. He might move then from the bed to eat them, but at least he will associate his bed with "treat time". Maybe this will encourage him to go to his bed more often.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
Whenever I buy my dog a bed, he goes straight to it. It's like he knows it was for him.

Where do you place his dog bed? If I go to sleep, my dog comes into my room and sleeps in his bed. When I'm not asleep he'll roam the house and sleep somewhere else. Sometimes I use toys when necessary.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
Another thought: Shadow will not lay on a pillow. If she is going to lay on a bed it has to be a foam bed, and it better not be too soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs