Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 03:50 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times

Advertisements

My mother told me "if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas." :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 06:07 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Do you ever sleep in a hotel/motel bed? Dogs allowed or not, I'd betcha a dog's been in that bed.

I don't even stay in hotels that allow pets.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:55 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't even stay in hotels that allow pets.

Probably greatly reduces your 'risk'. But if you think 'not allowed' means everybody actually follows the rules... well, they don't.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Dogs shouldn’t sleep on peoples beds no matter how cute they are. They are animals. Plus, you give up authority when you let them sleep in your bed. They need to know who the leader of the pack is. Once you let them in your bed, they probably aren’t going to listen to you much.

So, if I had a dog, nope. Not to mention the hair and slobber. No thanks.
No. Your bed has your place on it. The dog is allowed on the bed, but the dog is not allowed in my spot. My 2 dogs in the past knew this. My current dog knows it. They listen very well.

As for 'germs' - How about all those people who wear their 'street clothes' as I call them, in their house? You've been out all day, sitting on chairs, couches, benches, seats - where other people have been sitting, and then you bring that home and sit on your furniture and bed? What is the difference with a dog lying in his spot on your bed?

My dog is groomed regularly. He gets frequent baths, and he gets wiped down, and he gets brushed. A lot. His fur is longer, it's necessary. My past dogs had shorter hair, but I still groomed them regularly. They, too, were not 'filthy'.

I also take my dog, and took my past dogs, in the car with me at times. They enjoy it. I never sit in the passenger seat. I rarely ever give rides to anyone anyway, so who cares, but I'll bet their pants are far dirtier than my dog.

As for food, my current and past dogs do get 'human food'. They eat a raw diet. I buy their meat/bones/organs at the grocery store - where people buy food for themselves. It is far healthier than that crap in a bag or can. Where do they eat? I just hand them the food. No need for 'their place' or a bowl. They take it out of my hand. Done.

Anyone who considers dogs as 'filthy animals' should never get a dog. Don't mistreat any strays, don't do anything to any animal - leave them all alone. They don't deserve your hatred.

Oh, and if I had a pet squirrel, I would allow them to sleep on the bed, too, if they wanted to. You build a relationship of trust. You teach them manners. You keep them clean. When you do those things, you don't have issues with your pets.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:52 AM

209 posts, read 417,614 times
I was in camp 'no dogs on the bed' but was outvoted when we got this one- lots of brushing helps!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...17-092341.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...12-174256.html

Old 02-24-2024, 11:00 AM

209 posts, read 417,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
My mother told me "if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas." :-)
Simparica Trio will fix that!

Old 02-24-2024, 11:11 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My 100 lb Rhodesian has slept in our bed for most of his life (DH had a rule, no dogs in bed - he has changed his mind ), and he is super clean, doesn't shed and doesn't smell.

Then we got him a terrier / cattle dog rescue, she sheds, smells and rolls in things.

So she is bathed frequently, wiped down with a wet towel at night, and she gets dry shampoo in between her more frequent baths. And I own every anti-shedding tool known to man.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2024, 12:20 PM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I said earlier no dogs on our house bed- this much is true, but I do allow my dogs to sleep with me when I'm out bird hunting. A lot of times I'll be out for 5+ days in remote areas. They work their butts off. If I walk 10 miles they've run 40 miles. Yes they are dirty even if I wipe them down. But so am I. The best I can do is bowl bathe in the truck camper. So yeah they deserve a little pampering and a good nights sleep when they are sore, tired and need to recharge.

Even my old friend who sometimes goes bird hunting with me finds room for his favorite gal old Dutch.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
I absolutely LOVE the photo of your friend with Dutch. Fantastic picture!

Old 02-24-2024, 01:29 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Probably greatly reduces your 'risk'. But if you think 'not allowed' means everybody actually follows the rules... well, they don't.
I doubt folks try, in the hotels I stay at. And if I heard a dog bark in a hotel I was in, you can bet your bottom dollar either they would be leaving, or I would, with a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs