Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 05:36 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's what the AKC has to say abotu it:

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/li...ups-explained/
Toy breeds sure. My mom had a toy poodle and it was a bed pig. She also wouldn’t allow a stranger into the house without her permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 06:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Toy breeds sure. My mom had a toy poodle and it was a bed pig. She also wouldn’t allow a stranger into the house without her permission.
My point was that some breeds were indeed bred as personal companions. That's all.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:17 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have heard that Poodles don't smell. It makes me wonder how many of the million new Doodle breeds also don't smell.
Our Airedale and Irish terriers had a strong smell even with frequent baths.

The Manchester Terrier and the German Pinscher had a faint odor, but not annoying.

Our current mini poodle mix ( with a Golden ) has a very pleasant slight odor of freshly cut grass. After a bath he smells better than most ladies I had known in my lifetime. He sleeps in our bed - I mean he sleeps there and he allows us to stay.

The first night he was 8 weeks old and 5 lbs. He spent the night in his crate next to me. By the second day he trained us and now we use the crate for storage.

Last edited by mgforshort; 02-24-2024 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-24-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
My point was that some breeds were indeed bred as personal companions. That's all.
I understand that, but not all toy or smaller breeds were bred for 'human companionship'. Take a rat terrier for example- small breed but fierce terrier for rats and vermin. Bichon Frise were Spanish sailing dogs, no doubt catching rats. Basenji's (which we've had)- hunter/hounds.

Most dogs were bred for purpose. Basenji's the exception- they were evolved hunters that chose to work with humans. Sometimes.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
^Yeah, I didn't claim otherwise. One more time, what I said was that some breeds were indeed bred as personal companions. I did not claim that ALL toy or smaller breeds were bred as such. Just saying that some breeds' were developed primarily as companions as their purpose. Pomeranians were bred from the German Spitz solely as companion animals, for instance.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:40 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Maltese were bred to be companions and they are good at their job. It’s a honor to share my bed with them.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:45 PM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
We have a yellow lab who turns 4 this May. We got him as a puppy and I was very firm with him in the very beginning. Once he was housebroken and our son was born, we got rid of the cage. He had a bed we spent a lot of money on, from Petsmart which was where we got all his original stuff, but as he grew he started humping it rather than sleeping on it, even after we had him fixed. So I threw it away. Now he loves our bed. We have to kick him off when we are both in bed, but I'm up earlier than my wife. I get up, go for a run, eat breakfast and by the time I'm back upstairs to take a shower he's in my place. If I'm in bed first and my wife isn't yet he's keeping her side warm. He hasn't damaged any furniture.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
^Yeah, I didn't claim otherwise. One more time, what I said was that some breeds were indeed bred as personal companions. I did not claim that ALL toy or smaller breeds were bred as such. Just saying that some breeds' were developed primarily as companions as their purpose. Pomeranians were bred from the German Spitz solely as companion animals, for instance.
They are few and far between, but yes- there some pure 'companion ' bred dogs, and of course a lot of breeds are considered 'companion' or 'family' dogs. Labs come to mind, as do golden retrievers.

My belief is dogs need purpose, and in my opinion being a couch potato or a bed pig is not really a purpose.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-24-2024 at 11:35 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 01:39 AM

414 posts, read 973,493 times
To a dog, quality time is being with you. Eight hours or more a day you are off to work and they are alone. Then you come home and pay attention to them, see how excited they get? Then you do some cooking, laundry, etc and they do not get any attention. Then you go to bed. You can make that quality time for them by letting them sleep on the bed. Or you can give them more alone time by locking them in their crate or making them sleep alone on a dog bed.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:32 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They are few and far between, but yes- there some pure 'companion ' bred dogs, and of course a lot of breeds are considered 'companion' or 'family' dogs. Labs come to mind, as do golden retrievers.

My belief is dogs need purpose, and in my opinion being a couch potato or a bed pig is not really a purpose.
And? What’s your point? That if someone cannot provide a dog with a home in which they “have a purpose” (such as hunting, herding, etc.) then they shouldn’t have a dog? The result would be that very few people own dogs and the majority of dogs in shelters would be euthanized.

My dog has a purpose. He is my companion and protector. It may not be the purpose for which his ancestors were bred but, fortunately, he has adapted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs