Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 04:17 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times

Advertisements

no, never and absolutely not, we have always had dogs, involved with rescue etc , had up to 5 for quite a while , now 3 and not ever are they allowed in our bed, they have beds and our couch but our bed is strictly off limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 09:37 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I said earlier no dogs on our house bed- this much is true, but I do allow my dogs to sleep with me when I'm out bird hunting. A lot of times I'll be out for 5+ days in remote areas. They work their butts off. If I walk 10 miles they've run 40 miles. Yes they are dirty even if I wipe them down. But so am I. The best I can do is bowl bathe in the truck camper. So yeah they deserve a little pampering and a good nights sleep when they are sore, tired and need to recharge.

Even my old friend who sometimes goes bird hunting with me finds room for his favorite gal old Dutch.
I love those pics.

They truly are man's best friend. They prove it every day. They don't care if you're rich/poor, heavy/skinny, any race/any religion... they just love you unconditionally. They'll defend you with their life, two of mine have (thankfully they can out okay).

The only time a dog cares more is when you are sad. They know it and will do their best to comfort you.

We'll always have a best friend in our life. It would feel like such an empty house without a wagging tail each time I come home.

Old 02-25-2024, 02:59 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I love those pics.

They truly are man's best friend. They prove it every day. They don't care if you're rich/poor, heavy/skinny, any race/any religion... they just love you unconditionally. They'll defend you with their life, two of mine have (thankfully they can out okay).

The only time a dog cares more is when you are sad. They know it and will do their best to comfort you.

We'll always have a best friend in our life. It would feel like such an empty house without a wagging tail each time I come home.
I would argue that man would not have gotten to where the species is without the aid of dogs. They freed us from the wasted time of watching for predators and guarding against them. Without dogs we would not have been able to have fixed settlements. Dogs paved the way for farming and eventually industry. Not only our best friend; our essential partner.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:44 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Dogs have been breed largely for purpose. Sporting group, hound group, herding group etc. They are instinctively task purpose animals. Sleeping with us is not one of them (naturally). That's a modern interpretation of a lot of dog owners. The 'fur baby' syndrome as I like to call it.

We had a blue tick coon hound that was extremely loyal to us and extremely protective of my children when they were really young. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with inside the house. She was 100% active at night patrolling the house and the property. When my kids would play in the woods she was right by their side. You couldn't DRAG her into the house.

Dogs are happy when they perform a task, and we provide them with food shelter and human companionship on our terms, not theirs.
Agreed.

My cousin has a lab, highly trained for hunting and retrieving. He takes that dog hunting all the time. But that dog wants nothing to do with the inside of the house. He wants to be in the garage looking out, or in the big kennel (he has a huge running kennel outside). Most of the time when I visit, he is in the garage laying down right at the door (they keep the door raised a few inches so he can do his thing - he thinks he's a guard dog I guess LOL).

Old 02-26-2024, 09:41 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed.

My cousin has a lab, highly trained for hunting and retrieving. He takes that dog hunting all the time. But that dog wants nothing to do with the inside of the house. He wants to be in the garage looking out, or in the big kennel (he has a huge running kennel outside). Most of the time when I visit, he is in the garage laying down right at the door (they keep the door raised a few inches so he can do his thing - he thinks he's a guard dog I guess LOL).
Disagree as dogs are pack animals and are happiest when they are with their pack which often includes people. There’s exceptions of course but if you don’t love dogs don’t get them. But don’t expect them to live outside and be lonely and slaves .

Old 02-26-2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Disagree as dogs are pack animals and are happiest when they are with their pack which often includes people. There’s exceptions of course but if you don’t love dogs don’t get them. But don’t expect them to live outside and be lonely and slaves .
"Slaves"? Lonely? LOL. That dog is neither I assure you.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
"Slaves"? Lonely? LOL. That dog is neither I assure you.
You've never come across as a pet person, and IIRC you've said you would never get a dog?

Which is great (better than people who get them and change their minds), but I wonder a bit why you post kinda frequently in the dog forum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2024, 07:54 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Agreed.

They often act like attack-trained guard dogs, no? I would not want to walk into that garage uninvited, particularly with a black lab licking my hands off.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You've never come across as a pet person, and IIRC you've said you would never get a dog?

Which is great (better than people who get them and change their minds), but I wonder a bit why you post kinda frequently in the dog forum.
I find it interesting. My BF does have a dog and I do have to deal with dog issues occasionally.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They often act like attack-trained guard dogs, no? I would not want to walk into that garage uninvited, particularly with a black lab licking my hands off.
That’s more likely the case LOL. The little dog (can’t think of the breed right now) that stays inside is definitely more on the vicious side although really, she just barks more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs