Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 02:09 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Everyone is free to do as they chose, obviously. But I do have a question for dog owners who own dogs larger than a lap dog. Do you seat your guest on the same couch where your dog or dogs sleep? Are you not concerned about the guests getting hair on their clothes? Do you actually buy furniture specific for the dogs?
When my last dog (Rocky, 2007-2022) was alive, I definitely seated my guest on the same sofa where my dog napped. If the guest didn't want to be on the sofa, the guest could use the comfy chair - which was also frequently favored by my dog. Before a guest came over, I'd remove the towels from the couch and the throw from the sofa. As for my guests getting hair own their clothing, I never saw any; possibly because I frequently brushed my dog.

I did take care, when I bought my furniture, that it would not clash with the coloring of my beautiful dog, who was of a 'blue roan' color - black and white and gray. And I selected a sofa that was not leather (and thus would not be damaged if my dog scratched or scrabbled in it. Good think I chose a velvet sofa (or is it microfiber?); since my dog loved to nest in it.

At night, my dog slept on my bed, on top of my comforter, sometimes departing the bed for a pillow I kept on the floor for his use. He did like to be comfy on soft surfaces!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM

739 posts, read 411,714 times
absolutely not. I do buy my pets dogs bed. Guess what they have accidents in those beds so Im glad they are not in my bed.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:46 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
absolutely not. I do buy my pets dogs bed. Guess what they have accidents in those beds so Im glad they are not in my bed.
If your dogs are having accidents in their beds, they should probably be seen by a vet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-01-2024, 12:26 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If your dogs are having accidents in their beds, they should probably be seen by a vet.
Or the beds are too big for the dogs.

I've heard they should be able to stand up and turn around in their bed and that's about it.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:57 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
This. None of the dogs I grew up with or had myself ever messed their own bed deliberately! Rarely, one might end up violently sick due to some illicit thing they may have eaten outdoors, but they usually tried pretty hard to reach the outdoors before getting rid of it. Can't blame a SICK dog for losing control. One dog I owned for 12 years did suffer spay incontinence. She occasionally "leaked" a little while asleep. I kept searching until I found just the right combination of supplements that minimized it. A relief for both of us.

I worked for a county animal control for a few years. The work involved visiting people's homes to help solve some problem related to rabies vaccination documentation, licensing, citations, investigating reports of negligence and abuse. It always amazed me to see supposedly law abiding people who thought nothing of allowing their dog(s) to squat or take a dump in their own house. And I don't mean on a pad or box intended for that purpose. The dog obviously had never been trained, just indulged or desperate because its owners couldn't be bothered to take it outdoors on a regular basis. One foul woman I had the misfortune to meet on the job was the wife of a county judge! Fancy home in a fancy neighborhood, dressed like a fashion plate, 2-3 expensive breed dogs in expensive decor, but wouldn't stoop to train or clean up after a dog. I remember this snotty snarky woman walking around a mess that had been there so long it was crusted over. Unbelievable!

Old 03-01-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Or the beds are too big for the dogs.

I've heard they should be able to stand up and turn around in their bed and that's about it.

We used that for crate training when they were puppies.

I had bought a black light to find horn worms on the tomatoes. So of course I took it through the house.

Good lord, carpets looked like a scene from CSI (not original owners, older carpets, since then I shampoo carpets twice a year).

You know what had NO marks? My 100 lb dog's bed. Spotless.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
So of course I took it through the house.

Good lord, carpets looked like a scene from CSI (not original owners, older carpets, since then I shampoo carpets twice a year). .
oh did I need this laugh today! Thank you!

Old 03-01-2024, 05:44 PM

7,121 posts, read 4,540,768 times
If you have ever pulled up old carpet it’s disgusting what’s underneath. Plus hard surfaces are much healthier if you have allergies or asthma. Also much easier to clean up any dog mess.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you have ever pulled up old carpet it’s disgusting what’s underneath. Plus hard surfaces are much healthier if you have allergies or asthma. Also much easier to clean up any dog mess.
Oh yeah, flooring would be much better, but it would be a lot of money to change it out. It's a big house.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:34 PM

7,121 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, flooring would be much better, but it would be a lot of money to change it out. It's a big house.
Luckily my husband was very handy so we installed pergo ourselves but it’s definitely a big job in a large home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs