Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 01:00 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Dogs shouldn’t sleep on peoples beds no matter how cute they are. They are animals. Plus, you give up authority when you let them sleep in your bed. They need to know who the leader of the pack is. Once you let them in your bed, they probably aren’t going to listen to you much.
Baloney.

Humans are animals. Are human primates different than dogs? Of course they are, but biologically speaking, we're all animals.

Most of the people I know allow their well-trained, reasonably groomed family dogs to share their bed. Their dogs are respectful, obedient, and a pleasure to be around. I've allowed all my dogs to sleep on my bed. They all do so by invitation and on top of an easily laundered, hair-shedding blanket designed for that purpose. They all know who the boss is. That being said, if I happened to be in charge of a snotty dog with behavior issues I would NOT give it that privilege!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 02:02 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
That's you, and that's fine. Obviously LOTS of folks ride in cars with their dogs. I won't. My brother is always reluctant to take his GS in his car because he sheds so badly and he has to cover the seats with a sheet. Usually he puts him in the truck bed crate.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It's all about balance, Grasshopper.
Not sure who the grasshopper is? I balanced the dinner. I removed the dogs.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:57 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My take- many dog lovers don’t care about cleanliness. They seem oblivious to the hair n dander in every crevice of their home. That’s ok by me- but I draw lines with infants and new borns. Keep your pets away from their faces n out of their rooms. Not forever - just until their lungs are strong enough. And the fight continues with animals at the grocery stores.
Do you really think that human children are somehow cleaner and/or carry less germs than a dog?

People with dogs (and other pets) are just as cleanly as people with kids—it’s all messy, and you just do what you need to keep things clean and tidy. It’s certainly work but, unless you plan on living like a hermit, that’s life.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:27 PM

1,128 posts, read 609,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Do you really think that human children are somehow cleaner and/or carry less germs than a dog?

People with dogs (and other pets) are just as cleanly as people with kids—it’s all messy, and you just do what you need to keep things clean and tidy. It’s certainly work but, unless you plan on living like a hermit, that’s life.
On AVERAGE, yes children are cleaner than many dogs.

Sure if you own a small short hair Tea Kettle dog that you bathe and groom constantly and rarely goes outside, it will be cleaner than many tiny humans.

I know a couple who own 6 dogs and a cat. Most of the dogs are all large / medium breeds and are relatively active (outdoors etc). They are relatively clean dogs, but they obviously do not bathe everyday. The only dog they allow on their bed is a small Chihuahua (and even then only one of the couple is in favour of it).

They are obviously dog lovers and all their doggies are healthy and happy sorts.

I agree with the one who doesn't like the dogs in bed. The bed has to be a place of utter hygiene. No eating and no animals, especially with fur that can hide ticks, fleas, etc.

It has nothing to do with "showing them who the boss is".

Though their couches are ripped to shreds ... the dogs basically own it when no humans are using it

Old 02-22-2024, 07:40 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Dogs shouldn’t sleep on peoples beds no matter how cute they are. They are animals. Plus, you give up authority when you let them sleep in your bed. They need to know who the leader of the pack is. Once you let them in your bed, they probably aren’t going to listen to you much.

So, if I had a dog, nope. Not to mention the hair and slobber. No thanks.
Actually, I think you form a bond with any animal that sleeps with you. As for authority...I did Search and Rescue with my dog and also passed an AKC tracking test with him. You are definitely not an authority figure when you're doing stuff like that. It's your dog that figures out which way to go and what to check out, not you. If you don't trust your dog, you aren't going to have either a rescue dog or a tracking dog.

When I first started training my dog, I was the top alpha in our relationship and by God, that dog was going to do everything I said when I said it. By the time I got to advanced training and tracking, we were partners. And equal ones at that. I am so glad I made that mental adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

On AVERAGE, yes children are cleaner than many dogs.

Pffffttttt. 99% of little kids pick their noses, crawl on the floor, eat crap off the floor, use their hands to wipe their slobber and snot, and cough into the air (or on other people). Kids are just germ factories in miniature. What was the last illness you caught from your dog versus what you caught from your kid?

If you're using an average, then the bar is hella low. LOL

Old 02-22-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yes, well, let's remember that dogs don't age mentally like a child and they don't give themselves baths.

I have to say, though, that training a dog sure comes in handy for training a child. I still remember my training telling us that dogs learn how to count. So if you say "Get off that chair" five times before you make the dog move, the dog is gonna go, that's one, that's two....that's five, I better get off the chair now. So in training a dog, it's just as easy to make them do it the first time as the fifth time.

Don't you wish parents would apply that to kids too? LOL
Obviously. Which is why I stated that dogs are NOT like children.

In my experience, most people are better at disciplining their children than disciplining their dogs. For some reason people think that it's okay for their dog to jump up on people, or that everyone else should adore their dog and treat them like the LOOOOVVVEE all the dog hair and drool and smell. Sorry, but no. I have never understood that.

As for my child? I certainly DID discipline my child. And I used the ol' "I'm gonna count to 3" warning. I got to 3 just once, ever. Are there kids that don't receive proper parenting? Of course! Heck there's a lot of people that never should have even be allowed to have had kids. But the topic is dogs here.

My perspective on dogs is that I would be very happy if every dog I came in contact with, had been properly trained and disciplined. What a world of difference that would make.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Actually, I think you form a bond with any animal that sleeps with you. As for authority...I did Search and Rescue with my dog and also passed an AKC tracking test with him. You are definitely not an authority figure when you're doing stuff like that. It's your dog that figures out which way to go and what to check out, not you. If you don't trust your dog, you aren't going to have either a rescue dog or a tracking dog.
The counter to the authority argument is that dogs look to people to solve their problems, and thus protecting them in scary weather is part of that process and in no way undermines authority status. We are the "alphas."

Old 02-23-2024, 02:20 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,355,628 times
Dogs are animals, plain and simple. It doesn’t matter how cute they look. They have hair and dirt on them. And they are still animals. No, not animals as humans are categorized. Dogs are far inferior to humans on Ann intelligence scale. Might as well let a squirrel sleep with you. Dogs on a bed or any furniture? No thanks. They are lucky enough to have a stable home to live in. They don’t need Plaza Hotel amenities.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:51 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Dogs are far inferior to humans on Ann intelligence scale. Might as well let a squirrel sleep with you.
Intelligence as a criteria for being allowed on the furniture? I can train a dog to be a courteous household member that behaves itself. Most dogs learn they'll get things they want if they comply with their humans' wishes. History and experience have shown there are quite a few humans, despite that greater intelligence, who cannot be taught anything. Even for their own good. Disrespectful, destructive and snotty until the day they die.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-23-2024 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs