Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 07:26 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

I do allow cats on the bed. They are small and light and you hardly notice them. One of these days I may bue a sofa or love seat just to have the dog next to me while watching TV, but that would be the one and only exception to "paws on the floor", not counting his elevated dog bed near his crate. That is his bed so doesn't count against my furniture. It's not like I am going to be using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 08:29 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I do allow cats on the bed. They are small and light and you hardly notice them. One of these days I may bue a sofa or love seat just to have the dog next to me while watching TV, but that would be the one and only exception to "paws on the floor", not counting his elevated dog bed near his crate. That is his bed so doesn't count against my furniture. It's not like I am going to be using it.
My dogs are smaller than cats at 5 and 7 lbs. Plus they are pad trained so a monthly bath is all they need to stay clean.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:18 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Never understood this. A housedog shares more than a bed and they have the same biological needs/functions the resident humans do. They also track the outdoors in, just like the humans do. Any "germs" in or on the dog are probably present everywhere. I don't know anyone who doesn't groom & bathe their dog to remove their more "unsanitary" aspects, who doesn't housetrain them or allows them to eat on furniture. There are all sorts of bed coverings that help manage dog hair/dander. Then there's laundry. Don't know about you, but I wash my bedding regularly! Thank goodness I'll never be a germaphobe!
I'm no germaphobe. Far from it. But there is no way I would ever sleep in a bed that had a dog allowed in it. Dog smell. Dog hair. Dog dirt. And Lord help me - dog breath. Just the thought of that in my bed gives me the creeps. You folks that think your dog doesn't smell? You're just used to it.

Even my cat was not allowed in my bed - cat litter paws? No way.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-15-2024 at 11:48 PM..

Old 02-16-2024, 04:47 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wonder how people reacted, those who say NO, when they saw "Seems Like Old Times"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw9TPR93kPk
I also wonder in the difference between opinions if the dogs are seen as family or not.

To me, they are.....totally.
One of my fav movies. Got to watch this again. Goldie was beyond adorable : )

Old 02-16-2024, 05:35 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm no germaphobe. Far from it. But there is no way I would ever sleep in a bed that had a dog allowed in it. Dog smell. Dog hair. Dog dirt. And Lord help me - dog breath. Just the thought of that in my bed gives me the creeps. You folks that think your dog doesn't smell? You're just used to it.

Even my cat was not allowed in my bed - cat litter paws? No way.

Kinda sounds like you are. Or you certainly should be if these other things wig you out so badly. Do you ever sleep in a hotel/motel bed? Dogs allowed or not, I'd betcha a dog's been in that bed.

As to cats, I expect 99% of cats are cleaner than 100% of humans. Even those 'cat litter paws'.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:43 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I've always understood dogs 'sleeping in the bed' with their peeps as pack behavior. Since we are his pack, he's welcome to cuddle up.
I'd bet most of us on this forum take very good care of our animals in terms of cleanliness or bugs. I'd never let him on the bed dirty - actually, he doesn't come in the HOUSE dirty.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:58 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I've had 4 dogs (including a greyhound), that sleep (or have slept) with me over the years. Even though they had/have their own beds, they still prefer to sleep in my bed. I even got stairs for the smaller dogs to use to get up and down.

I'm just wondering how many of you let your dogs sleep with you?

(I tried to create a poll but it doesn't seem to be working).

Three of our 4 dogs sleep with us. The 4th is too old to climb up now so she sleeps in a dog bed on the floor next to me.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My tiny Yorkie sleeps on the bed but my bigger dog (50 pounds) has her own bed near mine. She sheds too much and doesn't get bathed as often as the little one. Plus she doesn't even want to sleep with me. I invited her when I first got her and she got scared and ran under the bed. She was a rescue and she is very skittish about anything new to her. One of my cats sometimes comes on the bed and will sleep at the foot of my bed.

We've had medium & large dogs and we never let them sleep with us. I'm too much of a germaphobe. I would be washing my sheets every other day.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 02-16-2024 at 06:46 AM..

Old 02-16-2024, 08:26 AM

1,849 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. My dogs don't rule my house, I do. They are beloved, cared for, and respected...to a point. I wouldn't put up with a snarky rebellious child who doesn't behave and I wouldn't put up with a snarky dog that doesn't either.

Yep, we go through a routine every morning. When I'm about to leave, I make them all get down, and I make the bed. Sheets and light blanket tucked under the pillows, middle blanket over the pillows and tucked in the rear, then the BedSure over all of it, and tucked between the mattress and the wall. They usually go outside while I'm doing that, but if any of them are inside, they will sit quietly at the foot of the bed and when I'm done, I step back and remain silent, and they just look at me. Then I say, "Okay," and they jump back on. Easy peasy. Dogs need and enjoy structure and training.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:35 AM

1,849 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The only time I will allow them in bed is when we're out hunting, in the camper or tent. At home no way unless you want this all night-

I love GSPs! I might have that wrong, though, yours look bigger and their heads are more squared.

But no, the only time the dogs are allowed on me is when I'm awake. I get too hot if they are all over me, so they know to scoot over.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 02-16-2024 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs