Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,418,978 times

Advertisements

If those pictures aren't yours, I'm tellin'.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM

6,792 posts, read 10,066,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

Post the links to your photos because they are copyrighted or just take the copyrighted images down.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,185,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I count to the the roof of the building. Wikipedia says the roof is at 622

Shell Plaza for example is 715 feet, but with the antennae it gets to 1000 feet and becomes the second tallest building in Texas so I prefer to just stick to the roof for counts
Ah, ok...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 AM

4,402 posts, read 4,688,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, I just think you're slightly exaggerating. Dallas has a couple of more interesting buildings, when looked at separately, but I'm not seeing what's so magnificent about the newer towers going up, compared to what has gone up in Houston recently. Can you post some of the buildings you are talking about? Austin, on the other hand, has more nicer new towers than both Houston and Dallas.

Here is one near Greenway Plaza:

The Numbers on That 35-Story Tower Planned for Weslayan and West Alabama » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape
Funny cuz thats the one building that I actually loved. But tell me this where exactly is this building being built at in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I love your empty arguments that are full of opinions and never based in fact.

Dallas is improving it's Uptown skyline just like Houston is. The only thing is Houston's has a lot more room to grow and they are still building larger and more attractive structures than Dallas' Uptown. For example:

Dallas cannot build this kind of building in it's downtown because it would put the other buildings to shame. Have you ever heard of a new building respecting the architecture around it? You can't push the envelop with a new building who city already has mature architecture around it - like NY.

Don't you think NY could have gone balls out with the new Freedom Tower development? It could definitely look more modern than it does, yes, but at the same time they had to respect the mature buildings around it.

From Hines who has built buildings in China, Spain, NY, Houston...

"The Houston-based Hines organization, founded by master developer Gerald D. Hines in 1957, is keenly aware that the new building’s architecture should “complement that half-century legacy of Hines’ work” in downtown Houston.

“Our choice of *****rd Chilton, we believe, will build on this legacy,” John Mooz, senior vice president of Hines, says.
*****rd Chilton is a New Haven, Conn.-based architecture firm led by Jon *****rd and his partners. *****rd was formerly with the Cesar Pelli & Associates firm and he was a key player in the design of the 88-story Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia."

You use Atlanta for an example, one of the best looking structures, if not the best, is located in Uptown. They are not going to stick this downtown.

File:Sovereign Atlanta Building.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of course im stating opinions. Heres the thing Im getting at. Dallas uptown is right next to downtown,like you can walk to downtown it's that close. Houston uptown is miles apart from Downtown. While I love to look at buildings in uptown Houston im more of a fan of Dallas having there uptown and downtown so close to each other because to me it makes the skyline look more impressive. In the past 10 years I've seen more artistic buildings go up in uptown and TMC. Yet I have to admire them seperately since there not connected to downtown like Dallas is. Thx zoning. Some new buildings that have gone up in downtown are somewhat bland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Exactly.

Dallas posters just get annoyed when they hear the same broken record of "let me know when Dallas builds some taller buildings". Every single Houston poster should be well aware of the strict restrictions for buildings in Dallas. Even with the restrictions Dallas has managed to continue building a nice collection of skyscrapers. And yes the Uptown market in Dallas is hotter than Downtown and yes the Uptown market in Houston is strong as well, but the big difference is that the Uptown Dallas skyline is a part of the Downtown Skyline. They are connected not nearly 10 miles apart. If Houston's Uptown and Downtown were together like what Dallas has that would definitely be a sight to see.
Exactly my point. If uptown and TMC were alot closer to downtown. Houston would be on awhole nother level. I wouldn't even have to make this discussion and thats not a blow to Dallas. All the other construction pics that were posted up didn't impress me as far as the outside look of the building. And I will post some examples but right now im posting all this from my phone.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,502,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If those pictures aren't yours, I'm tellin'.
Dang you that mad???!!!http://www.theurbanfabric.com/

Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,502,570 times

Flickr: maconahey's Photostream

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM

229 posts, read 306,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The skyline is nice but it has too many spaces.
Kind of like the Downtown Houston skyline in general, nice height, lots of buildings, but way too spaced out, lacks density.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I guess in the future it has the possibility to look like that although I think it will look better. I actually meant to pull this image.

A little different from that other picture isn't it?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
If you can't beat them at one thing try another, right?

We can argue vibrancy because both cities are very close in this arena. It will be a long thread.

I would truthfully like to know when was the last time you guys were even in Houston?

Last week. All over Downtown, Uptown, Midtown, etc...no comparison to Dallas in the vibrancy department. And part of the reason that it lacks that vibrancy is the very thing that you guys like to brag about, its bigness. It is just too big and spread out. It lacks cohesiveness in any of its inner-city neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I lived in Houston for 27 years before moving to Plano. In that time, I rarely recall Dallas ever coming up in discussions. The global oil and gas business employees and west houston neighbors jsut didnt think about or care about Dallas. I've found Dallas to focus on Houston more with a funny attitude about it...

You really don't have a dog in this fight if you live in Plano, might as well be from Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas