Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for African-Americans?
Houston 38 64.41%
Dallas 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times

Advertisements

This thread is a question to Texas African-Americans (and anybody else that is informed on the subject) about African-American culture and community in Houston and Dallas.

Now on the national boards Houston and Dallas are always tossed around with Atlanta and other cities as being "black meccas". But which one of these two is the best in Texas? I've heard conflicting opinions from different people I know and was wondering what Texan CD posters thought.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times
They both are good for African Americans but i still sense more of the traditional racial profiling and "lock up the blackfolks" mentality more from the DPD.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
From what I can gather:

Houston always has been a good place for African-Americans

Dallas has become and good place for African-Americans in the last 15 years or so

Houston might still have an edge, but Dallas is no slouch anymore.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
nowadays, it's probably a toss up between the two cities, but i believe that houston has traditionally been considered the black city in texas

the african american community in houston is a bit larger and more integrated; two large HBCUs, and some say that there's a larger presence of upwardly mobile blacks there than in dallas, but i don't know

on the other hand, i believe that dallas is currently attracting more black transplants than houston with a large middle class spread throughout the metro. and the new black panther party of america is also hq'd in dallas

either way, both metros have an endless amount of cultural and economic offerings for blacks in a way that no other city in texas can compare. and neither city falls far behind cities like atlanta, d.c., or chicago in that aspect...(now i'm just waiting for ak123 to enter the thread and deny this fact)

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Even though Dallas is supposedly catching up, I still vote for Houston. Much more black-friendly, and a better culture for Black Professionals and it feels more progressive than the black community in Dallas. Dallas' community feels a bit more disjointed and it's more of an "old south" vibe compared to Houston depending on what circles you are in.

They're not quite up to the level of Atlanta, DC, or even NYC for that matter, but then again, who is? They are catching up though, but Houston would be the closest.

I don't think having the New Black Panther Party's HQ is exactly something to brag about. They do not follow the principles of what the original party stood for at all. But I digress...

Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Even though Dallas is supposedly catching up, I still vote for Houston. Much more black-friendly, and a better culture for Black Professionals and it feels more progressive than the black community in Dallas. Dallas' community feels a bit more disjointed and it's more of an "old south" vibe compared to Houston depending on what circles you are in.

They're not quite up to the level of Atlanta, DC, or even NYC for that matter, but then again, who is? They are catching up though, but Houston would be the closest.
well atlanta and d.c. aren't nearly on the level of nyc, either . and even d.c. is a few steps ahead than atlanta

Quote:
I don't think having the New Black Panther Party's HQ is exactly something to brag about. They do not follow the principles of what the original party stood for at all. But I digress...
just an interesting black fact for dallas i thought i'd point out lol....and now you know

Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well atlanta and d.c. aren't nearly on the level of nyc, either . and even d.c. is a few steps ahead than atlanta

just an interesting black fact for dallas i thought i'd point out lol....and now you know
Well I actually disagree with NYC being ahead of Atlanta for blacks. NYC may have more blacks in sheer number but Atlanta has more per capita and they are actually the majority in the city while in NYC the city is still mainly run by whites.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Well I actually disagree with NYC being ahead of Atlanta for blacks. NYC may have more blacks in sheer number but Atlanta has more per capita and they are actually the majority in the city while in NYC the city is still mainly run by whites.
blacks only make up the majority of the official city limits of atlanta. but metro atlanta is still predominantly white and "run" by whites as well.

while it is true that blacks have more influence in the atlanta area than blacks do in nyc, the sky is the limit in new york and to be black and successful in the big apple means a helluva a lot. and of course, generally speaking, the cultural offerings will be in excess

but i guess if we're talking about which city it would be most likely for blacks to succeed than i guess, yeah atlanta would have that over new york

Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Go ahead call us country, less progressive, old south mentality, and whatever else you want to call (us) the DFW black community. I am really tired of it but you know stats show otherwise.

Dallas Black median family income was $46,157 which is higher than Houston black median income level. The DFW area has added over 200,000 african americans since 2000. No other Texas metro area has added more.

I am out and want comment on this thread anymore. I pretty much know certain poster are going to continue to generalize, insult, and disrespect the black community in DFW.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 07-20-2010 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Go ahead call us country, less progressive, old south mentality, and whatever else you want to call (us) the DFW black community. I am really tired of it but you know stats show otherwise.

Dallas Black median family income was $46,157 which is higher than Houston black median income level. The DFW area has added over 200,000 african americans since 2000. No other Texas metro area has added more.

I am out and want comment on this thread anymore. I pretty much know certain poster are going to continue to generalize, insult, and disrespect the black community in DFW.
Oh don't let Oatmeal bother you. She's alright. I honestly don't think she hates Dallas as much as she lets on lol.

As far as those stats, 200,000 is pretty damn impressive. I wish Austin could gain 50,000 lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas