Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to say positive and negative things about Dallas and Houston. You can also say what Dallas and Houston need to work on.

2 positives (examples)

-Houston has some very good freeways and HOV lanes. (Dallas' sucks)
-Houston is a very nice city. When I was younger I went to Houston and Galveston, I hated it. Now, its not that bad.

2 negatives (examples)

-Houston has too much land
-Houston has no zoning

Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This is a thread to say positive and negative things about Dallas and Houston. You can also say what Dallas and Houston needs to work on.

2 positives (examples)

-Houston has some very good freeways and HOV lanes. (Dallas' sucks)
-Houston is a very nice city. When I was younger I went to Houston and Galveston, I hated it. Now, its not that bad.

2 negatives (examples)

-Houston has too much land
-Houston has no zoning
Dallas:

positives:

1. Really great regional economy, and has some good national economic strengths

2. Has progressive ideas on public transportation.

Negatives:

1. Everything is too spread out. Zoning in large areas kills some thing for me.

2. I don't live there.

Houston

Positives:
1. Diversity/ international/ Cosmopolitan feel.

2. Economic Strength

Negatives:

1. The public transportation system needs a boost

2. I hear the humidity gets to people.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dallas:

positives:

1. Really great regional economy, and has some good national economic strengths

2. Has progressive ideas on public transportation.

Negatives:

1. Everything is too spread out. Zoning in large areas kills some thing for me.

2. I don't live there.

Houston

Positives:
1. Diversity/ international/ Cosmopolitan feel.

2. Economic Strength

Negatives:

1. The public transportation system needs a boost

2. I hear the humidity gets to people.
I can kinda agree with that. We need zoning, some areas of Dallas look bad and they have zoning. In South Dallas you will see a church 2 doors down from a liquor store. If we didn't have zoning it would be much worse.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Dallas

Positive

The new park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway. This will connect Uptown to Downtown Dallas.

The new Dart rail line. Hopefully, it will bring more people from North Dallas County to the Downtown area.

Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, this will be a easy way from West Dallas to Downtown.

Negative

Dallas has ALOT of developments that failed. Victory Park is dead, but it can be saved.

Downtown Dallas has a huge vacancy rate, mostly due to the old buildings. Elm Place hasn't been renovated since it was built in 1965.

All of Dallas became wet this year, this will increase crime in Southern Dallas. The Kroger at Wynnewood Village is going to sell beer and wine. I am very upset. I live in Oak Cliff and its already bad enough.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I can kinda agree with that. We need zoning, some areas of Dallas look bad and they have zoning. In South Dallas you will see a church 2 doors down from a liquor store. If we didn't have zoning it would be much worse.
Zoning has little to do with aesthetics.

Good development methods is what makes a city look great.

For example if the area is zoned for residential purposes only, eliminating all strip malls, the area can still look horrid if the developer builds ugly square houses with no lawns and trees.

conversely you can have a no zoning area mixed with strip malls, stripper clubs, etc that were planned well and look aesthetically pleasing with matching material and well landscapped lawns

Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Dallas

Positive

The new park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway. This will connect Uptown to Downtown Dallas.

The new Dart rail line. Hopefully, it will bring more people from North Dallas County to the Downtown area.

Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, this will be a easy way from West Dallas to Downtown.

Negative

Dallas has ALOT of developments that failed. Victory Park is dead, but it can be saved.

Downtown Dallas has a huge vacancy rate, mostly due to the old buildings. Elm Place hasn't been renovated since it was built in 1965.

All of Dallas became wet this year, this will increase crime in Southern Dallas. The Kroger at Wynnewood Village is going to sell beer and wine. I am very upset. I live in Oak Cliff and its already bad enough.
lol, silly boy, wet counties don't have an increase in crime

Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
lol, silly boy, wet counties don't have an increase in crime
The county isn't wet, Dallas is. I am talking about where I live.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The county isn't wet, Dallas is. I am talking about where I live.
alcohol doesn't increase crime

Old 12-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
alcohol doesn't increase crime
Ok, not in other cities. I'm sure in South Dallas it will. You don't live in Dallas how would you know?!?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, not in other cities. I'm sure in South Dallas it will. You don't live in Dallas how would you know?!?
You are still young. I KNoW.

anyway, why did you not include SA and Austin in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas