Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM

563 posts, read 913,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Well, that may not be the case with either Dallas or Houston. There will be riders for the University line, and there will be plenty of riders for the Orange line between DFW airport and downtown.

Also, do you really believe that Houston inside the loop added 600,000 people between 2000 and 2010? Yes, it did grow, but your facts are way off.

Personally, I take an equal position between DFW and Houston.. They're both great metros in their own way.

In your case, you can't be accurate in view of your obvious bias. You're blind to the shortcomings of Houston and the assets of Dallas, whereas both metros have their assets and shortcomings. So what is the value of your posts?
Anyone who has the time to read through your post will find this to be inaccurate.

Also, how is the ridership going to tick up in the areas that have been failing the past 10-30 YEARS? Metro is expanding and the commercial and residential development is already increasing before the tracks are even finished. Look at Harrisburg in East Houston.

What I was saying is that Houston is growing right along with the Houston Metro. Dallas is not growing with its Metro.

2000-2010 population increase.

Houston - 7.5%
Metro - 26.1%

Dallas - 0.8% (LMAO)
Metro - 24%

Where are people moving to when they move to the DFW area? Not the City of Dallas!! Even the Dart representative said that ALOT of the people are moving beyond Dart coverage.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Yes, you do.
When did Downtown Dallas decide to redefine it's boundaries? This is not a gotcha question because I seriously want to know.

Even if I were to say the TMC is larger than Dallas inside the loop (the CBD) this still speaks volumes. It's not my problem Dallas decided to include Uptown in its downtown boundaries. What if Houston did the same?

The old boundaries of Downtown Dallas were 1.4 sq miles. When I said the TMC is larger than Downtown Dallas this is what I meant.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

3,203 posts, read 5,403,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You guys literally have stops out in the middle of open fields that have been that way ever since Dallas & Irving were farming towns.

When is this "growth" supposed to happen? Las Colinas's CBD is a shell of its former self & I don't think re-doing 114 will help spur much growth along there any time in the near furture. Is DART still going to connect with that abandoned commuter train in Las Colinas?
^ You have very little knowledge of anything Dallas/Fort Worth.

Las Colinas Urban Center may be more progressive than it's ever been. There hundreds of new apartments, condos and homes in the area. Several large companies have recently located corprate HQ's and operations there bringing thousands of new workers. The new Convention Center and DART rail service should fuel even further growth.

What former shell would you be referring to Matt?

Last edited by First24; 06-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: tweek

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 16,015,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Eventually, growth will happen around the DART stations and the ridership will grow. I was watching a documentary about America. One episode was taking about New York's subway system. A rail line was built from Manhattan to Queens but the borough was sparsely populated. There were absolutely no houses, only a rail line. Today, the area is highly populated and dense. The same rail line brought development to that area and the line is still in operation today.
Those subway lines in New York were built in a completely different time period, before the rise of the suburbs/automobiles, in the early 20th century. That's not a good comparison to DART. But about TODs, I think you'll continue to see them pop up along the Red Line North, but not the others (Green Line especially). TODs havent done much to help ridership now.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 10,055,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You guys literally have stops out in the middle of open fields that have been that way ever since Dallas & Irving were farming towns.

When is this "growth" supposed to happen? Las Colinas's CBD is a shell of its former self & I don't think re-doing 114 will help spur much growth along there any time in the near furture. Is DART still going to connect with that abandoned commuter train in Las Colinas?
You guys? I don't live in Irving. The Irving City Council wanted that station there because they thought the development project would be finished.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Can someone please define the parameters of the Dallas Central Business District (Downtown Dallas) that are different than those laid out be the Dallas County Appraisal District in 2009?

http://dallas-ecodev.org/SiteContent...act_sheets.pdf

Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,104,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Anyone who has the time to read through your post will find this to be inaccurate.

Also, how is the ridership going to tick up in the areas that have been failing the past 10-30 YEARS? Metro is expanding and the commercial and residential development is already increasing before the tracks are even finished. Look at Harrisburg in East Houston.

What I was saying is that Houston is growing right along with the Houston Metro. Dallas is not growing with its Metro.

2000-2010 population increase.

Houston - 7.5%
Metro - 26.1%

Dallas - 0.8% (LMAO)
Metro - 24%

Where are people moving to when they move to the DFW area? Not the City of Dallas!! Even the Dart representative said that ALOT of the people are moving beyond Dart coverage.
The suburbs & exurbs...Fort Worth being the exception

Frisco
McKinney
Prosper
Flower Mound
Forney
Rockwall
Roanoke
The Colony

etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 10,055,840 times
Quote:
Can someone please define the parameters of the Dallas Central Business District (Downtown Dallas) that are different than those laid out be the Dallas County Appraisal District in 2009?

http://dallas-ecodev.org/SiteContent...act_sheets.pdf
According to Downtown Dallas Inc this is the new boundaries of Downtown.

http://www.downtowndallas.org/documents/downtownmap.pdf

Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,498,025 times
Quote:
You just admitted that the TMC was a very densely packed area. The TMC is over a thousand acres - larger than downtown Dallas. Anyone can look at a picture of the TMC and see it is more dense than Dallas. You solved our little dispute. Thank You.

"Exceeding one thousand acres in size, the center is larger than downtown Dallas." (1,300 to be exact).
Are you reading this stuff right?...what in the world are you talking about? This post confused me

Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
According to Downtown Dallas Inc this is the new boundaries of Downtown.

http://www.downtowndallas.org/documents/downtownmap.pdf
Thanks.

So the traditional downtown and the CBD is still inside the loop. It's funny how Wikipedia describe "an explosion of growth" for the reason Downtown Dallas Inc. decided to "expand the term of Downtown" to include more areas. I guess 0.8% is an explosion of growth...

I think it's funny how savanite was arguing with me like it has always been this way. So, yes, my point is still extremely valid. The "traditional" downtown up until last year was trumped by Houston's Texas Medical Center. Just wanted to make sure you heard me correctly. Maybe Houston will "expand the term of downtown" to include Uptown and the TMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas