Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM

44 posts, read 80,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I can't say if you do or if you don't. The address you gave was to an apartment complex so your not as crazy as I thought you were. You might of woken up to find T.P. on your house.

Restaurants per capita doesn't equate to better food. Last time I checked Houston had more restaurants altogether. I find there to be a larger selection of good food here than there is in Dallas and a lot of critics seem to agree. I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have good restaurants because they definitely do I'm just saying Houston has more ethnic variety and a more notable selection.

I just wanted to add that you did post that about the restaurants in an older post I found when searching to see if you were really living in Houston.
I dare you to and people might be crazy but im crazy as well, I don't like when people act like they don't have manners. I see that wasn't your last comment though huh. Don't get it twisted patna. I don't play around on this internet crap, come met me in person. You can make all the smart comments all you want, you looked up the address right? Then come! Let me know what time you want me to be in the front...

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM

998 posts, read 1,334,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I know you like to be the "different" Houstonian who isn't afraid to put down your own city, but c'mon, now. Both cities have some people who suffer from the same complexes, and it exists in virtually every major Sunbelt city.

I know for a fact that Dallas media (including DMN) has taken jabs at Houston.

That article seemed to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, and was most likely written by an underling. It's not that big of a deal.
Well I only see these kinds of articles in the Chronicle...not the DMN. Thats not a "put down"; Thats the truth. Theres a certain preoccupation with Dallas down there thats not found on the same level here in DFW. Thats just my experience from living in both. It is what it is. Even if the article is "tongue and cheek"; whats the point in even bringing it up? Its not like the Cowboys are playing the Texans or something this week. It comes across as extremely random and unnecessary. I'm sure there are many other newsworthy topics in Houston other than trying to convince readers that Houston is better than Dallas at certain things.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM

229 posts, read 306,888 times
Quote:
Anyone who has the time to read through your post will find this to be inaccurate.

Also, how is the ridership going to tick up in the areas that have been failing the past 10-30 YEARS? Metro is expanding and the commercial and residential development is already increasing before the tracks are even finished. Look at Harrisburg in East Houston.

What I was saying is that Houston is growing right along with the Houston Metro. Dallas is not growing with its Metro.

2000-2010 population increase.

Houston - 7.5%
Metro - 26.1%

Dallas - 0.8% (LMAO)
Metro - 24%

Where are people moving to when they move to the DFW area? Not the City of Dallas!! Even the Dart representative said that ALOT of the people are moving beyond Dart coverage.
I think this has been mentioned before, but one of the main reasons Dallas cannot grow is because it is landlocked by suburbs. There are very few areas for Dallas to grow out, so it must grow up, which it is doing. But growing up, as opposed to out, results in slower population growth. Houston can continue to expand out, which it is doing, which is why it will never be a truly urban city.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,035,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Well I only see these kinds of articles in the Chronicle...not the DMN. Thats not a "put down"; Thats the truth. Theres a certain preoccupation with Dallas down there thats not found on the same level here in DFW. Thats just my experience from living in both. It is what it is. Even if the article is "tongue and cheek"; whats the point in even bringing it up? Its not like the Cowboys are playing the Texans or something this week. It comes across as extremely random and unnecessary. I'm sure there are many other newsworthy topics in Houston other than trying to convince readers that Houston is better than Dallas at certain things.
Just big brother picking on little brother.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM

392 posts, read 636,764 times
Quote:
I can't say if you do or if you don't. The address you gave was to an apartment complex so your not as crazy as I thought you were. You might of woken up to find T.P. on your house.

Restaurants per capita doesn't equate to better food. Last time I checked Houston had more restaurants altogether. I find there to be a larger selection of good food here than there is in Dallas and a lot of critics seem to agree. I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have good restaurants because they definitely do I'm just saying Houston has more ethnic variety and a more notable selection.

I just wanted to add that you did post that about the restaurants in an older post I found when searching to see if you were really living in Houston.
Areas with populations of six millions plus, such as Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston, have so many restaurants that having any expert personal knowledge of them is virtually impossible.

How many of us have eaten in ten thousand different restaurants?

Major metros, with their collections of wealthy individuals, or even their masses of prosperous ones, can afford to attract thousands of the most prominent and imaginative chefs in the United States. In fact, the larger the metro, the greater the number of chefs and restaurants that metro can support, and the greater the diversity and quality of the food.

It's all a numbers game. The quality and variety of the food is proportional to the size of the metro.

Last edited by savanite; 06-13-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I think this has been mentioned before, but one of the main reasons Dallas cannot grow is because it is landlocked by suburbs. There are very few areas for Dallas to grow out, so it must grow up, which it is doing. But growing up, as opposed to out, results in slower population growth. Houston can continue to expand out, which it is doing, which is why it will never be a truly urban city.
Posh suburban enclaves such as Highland Park, or Beverly Hills, cannot "grow", but nobody thinks that is bad.

Dallas municipality doesn't need to "grow" by adding low density suburban development on empty land, It's boundaries are already fixed.

What it does need to do is increase its desirability and, quite frankly, raise the prices of its existing space. This will cause a demographic shift as its property becomes more expensive, and its lower income people are replaced by higher incomes.

The increasing value of land in the boundaries of municipal Dallas reduces the population of large low income families in favor of wealthier singles and empty nesters.

That's exactly the same thing that happens in other prominent cities, such as Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, or international cities such as Moscow, Shanghai, London.

By contrast, Dallas-Fort Worth metro has plenty of room to increase its suburban population, and it does.

Last edited by savanite; 06-13-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,515,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Just big brother picking on little brother.
I think that article was written because of the hit series Dallas starts tonight. The hoopla that comes with that is what caused the envy in writing this article. They had to remind Houston of how great it is just one last time before Houston is forgotten...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM

What should Houston do to be similar to, or have the urban cachet and glamour of a San Francisco or a Chicago?

I'd say that the Houston City government should contract its boundaries to the inner loop, including, however, places like Post Oak Road, the Galleria, etc.

Areas outside of the loop could set up their own governments, or just be unincorporated land with municipal services provided by Harris county.

Houston City Council and Mayor's office could then devote the budget to enhancing the inside the loop area. Currently, the inside the loop area pays more in taxes than it receives in services, and its growth in value is masked by the deterioration and aging of areas farther out.

The Houston Loop would then have a legal identity and would essentially be to metro Houston as Manhattan is to New York, or San Francisco is to the Bay Area.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

What we see in cities around the world is that land in the center becomes more desirable, and land at the periphery of the metro area is cheaper and less in demand. Houston inside the loop and much of municipal Dallas certainly fit that model.

Houston is very disadvantaged because its inner ring suburbs are within the same government as the more desirable inner loop. In DFW, by contrast, the inner ring suburbs have separate governments.

Last edited by savanite; 06-13-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,035,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I think that article was written because of the hit series Dallas starts tonight. The hoopla that comes with that is what caused the envy in writing this article. They had to remind Houston of how great it is just one last time before Houston is forgotten...
It's nice that they are actually shooting this one around DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas