Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM

392 posts, read 633,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I want to say that your are correct with your posts. The intelligent think to do would have been to look at the demographic to get a more accurate picture behind the numbers. I will aslo admit that the changing landscape in Downtown Dallas also explains a lot of the high vancay rates they are experiening. I am not above admitting when I am wrong.

Even though the cities have a different transportation plans I still fell Metro will eventually pass Dart in ridership. A big reason I think this is because some of the areas it is planned to go through this will be a lot of peoples only mode of transportation.

I don't want anybody to get a twisted picture that I have it out for Dallas or something because I love all of my Texas cities. I'm one of the ones that would rather live in Anywhere, TX as opposed any other place in the country. Sure the weather is a bi*** but the cost of admission in Texas.
No, I don't believe you are prejudicial toward Dallasor anyplace else. And thank you for your honesty.

I also believe that the Houston metro will have a high ridership, mostly because it will be a substitute for existing bus routes that carry a transit dependent population. The metro is essentially a streetcar line, not a light rail rapid transit system with a separate right of way. By separate, I mean not on a city street, even if it has a dedicated lane in the median. By contrast, a LRRT system such as DART is not commingled with city traffic, even in the downtown transit mall. Major portions of it are elevated, especially the Green and Orange lines.

Running on Main street was good for Metro because they were able to build a high capacity line on an existing street for $200 million, which they financed outside of the Federal system. That led to the other lines.

Still, the Metro is limited to within the loop, the densest and most transit dependent part of Houston MSA, and must make many stops, so is relatively slow. it will eventually have a line to IAH, but that is farther into the future. I don't see a line to Hobby. The densest nodes to connect are currently downtown and the TMC, but UH and Uptown may be significant in the future.

All in al, I wish them luck. And if they do replace a substantial part of their bus traffic with rail, I'd feel some compassion for those who will be crowded onto a packed rail system, and potentially faced with transfers from bus to rail.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
I would wonder why you believe this is of any significance. After all, there are also many things in DFW that take up more square footage than the space in the loop.

Would you honestly recommend the TMC as a visitor attraction to Houston? I could think of many places that are better, such as the Menil museum, even if it takes less space than the TMC.
I just thought that large of a concentration of buildings outside of a major city was something you don't find in a lot of places. I think the largest medical center in the world is a pretty notable accomplishment.

Usually I don't recommend the TMC to people just visiting Houston but I do to people that are down here scouting the city to see if it is a place they would like to live. More specifically I send them to Herman Park and in the process they get a feel for how large and nice both of them really are. Once they find out they are the highest ranked hospitals in Texas some find that to be a definite selling point.

I think the Menil is a wonderful place but haven't been back since an art class in college had me write an extensive research paper on some of what I saw there.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
WTF when did I say that DFW had better restaurant scene??? I will say it though. To be honest it seems as if your mad that I do live in Houston. To say that I don't come meet me at my house sometime I live at 9757 Pine Lake Drive Houston, TX 77055, we can meet where I reside. Will that show you that I live in Houston? Your wrong DFW is always rank nationally "most restaurants per capita" Gosh I love Houston as well just pointing out that Dallas is good too. For that thought you can go ahead and post your last post here.
Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever post your address on the internet like this. There's some crazy people in the world these days. You don't know any of us personally. I could be a killer or a stalker. Just be careful dude.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Las Colinas? Do you mean the Las Colinas on another planet?

You're making this up, right? Or is the devil telling you to do this?

The "empty fields" part is especially bizarre.
I posted the Dallas news article a couple of pages back if you were reading it said exactly that.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
WTF when did I say that DFW had better restaurant scene??? I will say it though. To be honest it seems as if your mad that I do live in Houston. To say that I don't come meet me at my house sometime I live at 9757 Pine Lake Drive Houston, TX 77055, we can meet where I reside. Will that show you that I live in Houston? Your wrong DFW is always rank nationally "most restaurants per capita" Gosh I love Houston as well just pointing out that Dallas is good too. For that thought you can go ahead and post your last post here.
I can't say if you do or if you don't. The address you gave was to an apartment complex so your not as crazy as I thought you were. You might of woken up to find T.P. on your house.

Restaurants per capita doesn't equate to better food. Last time I checked Houston had more restaurants altogether. I find there to be a larger selection of good food here than there is in Dallas and a lot of critics seem to agree. I'm not saying Dallas doesn't have good restaurants because they definitely do I'm just saying Houston has more ethnic variety and a more notable selection.

I just wanted to add that you did post that about the restaurants in an older post I found when searching to see if you were really living in Houston.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM

I think this back and forth between Houston and Dallas has spread to the newspapers now. Although I remember a Ft. Worth writer wrote some not so pleasant things at the beginning of last year when comparing the Texans and Cowboys and we all know how that worked out.

Houston versus Dallas - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I think this back and forth between Houston and Dallas has spread to the newspapers now. Although I remember a Ft. Worth writer wrote some not so pleasant things at the beginning of last year when comparing the Texans and Cowboys and we all know how that worked out.

Houston versus Dallas - Houston Chronicle
Oh God...must the Houston Chronicle continue to publicize the city's inferiority complex in seemingly annual stories about this "rivalry"? Stop being obsessed with Dallas. Houston should be trying to compete with world class, national cities...not Dallas. You don't really see this in the Dallas Morning News.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Las Colinas? Do you mean the Las Colinas on another planet?

You're making this up, right? Or is the devil telling you to do this?

The "empty fields" part is especially bizarre.
There are empty fields around the LC Urban Center. Much of the land is accounted for by developers though.

Several of these projects should take off following the launch of the Orange Line.

Irving TOD | Current TOD Projects

Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Oh God...must the Houston Chronicle continue to publicize the city's inferiority complex in seemingly annual stories about this "rivalry"? Stop being obsessed with Dallas. Houston should be trying to compete with world class, national cities...not Dallas. You don't really see this in the Dallas Morning News.
I know you like to be the "different" Houstonian who isn't afraid to put down your own city, but c'mon, now. Both cities have some people who suffer from the same complexes, and it exists in virtually every major Sunbelt city.

I know for a fact that Dallas media (including DMN) has taken jabs at Houston.

That article seemed to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, and was most likely written by an underling. It's not that big of a deal.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I agree. Houston should pick on someone its own size!

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas