Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,612,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Thank you for this. Although we do have two pneumonia vaccines, PCV13 and PPSV23, so it's more than just the 13 strains of bacterial pneumonia when it comes to protecting the over-50 population.

I do hope that a so-called "universal" (meaning that it will offer at least 75% protection against more than a single strain) flu vaccine will become available within the coming decade, though. Flu-V and M-001 look promising. M-001 is actually in Phase 3 at the moment. But look how long it has taken science to even get to this point with just that one virus.

Ironically, I was planning to get the Shingrix vaccine this summer but don't want to challenge my immune system at a time when this particular virus is circulating so widely. I had 4 weeks of a Mystery Respiratory Virus From Hell, starting the day after Christmas until the last day of January; followed almost immediately by a secondary bacterial infection of the sinuses that lasted several weeks. My immune system needs to rest and recoup for a while, LOL.

Ask your doctor about getting the Shingrix vaccine. I had a bad case of Shingles that started in early November and I only stopped taking the pain medication at the end of February. The pain that preceded and heralded the Shingles was significant; and I had trouble walking for a few months after that (the Shingles struck me from the knee down to the toes of one leg). What effect would getting Shingles itself have on your immune system?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 AM

13,675 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
...We spent billions (maybe trillions) trying to prevent the loss of millions of dollars. Dumb, dumb, dumb. ....
This was inevitable. It will be repeated indefinitely in the future. It is an inevitable consequence of both human nature, and how nations and societies work.

If I sustain a minor setback, would I cut my losses, or double-down? Definitely the latter! I would deny the initial loss, and almost certainly would rely on supposed prowess and verve to immediately bounce back. The first sign of trouble, is almost never taken as signal to cut losses, let alone to get into preventative mode. Rather, one feels angry and dismayed that the trouble first occurred.

If you get an infection in your fingertip, and it goes gangrenous, would you amputate your fingertip? I wouldn't. Then it would reach my hand, my arm, and eventually my entire body. It would probably be fatal. The loss of the mere fingertip is too grievous and embarrassing, to acknowledge the malady and to take immediate, forceful action. It is better to become completely ruined, thus blaming cruel-fate or whatnot, than to acknowledge our basic frailty, to accept a comparatively small loss, and to move on.

Maybe I'm needlessly catastrophizing, but at this point, I'm actually surprised that billions aren't infected, and millions aren't dead. No, I don't wish for any such tragedy. But what shocks me is that the world has actually been able to coordinate as well as it has. I expected worse.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,699,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
What are your true thoughts on this? I am a 68 year old senior in fairly good health, I personally feel I have a lot of life left in me. I was sad and hurt to read this, but I guess hard decisions have to be made at some point. I wonder if it will come to this in the US?

https://worldabcnews.com/italy-coron...60-world-news/
It's already come to The US. A physician administrator of some hospital in Iowa or Indiana was interviewed (by CNN, I think). She said that "difficult choices are having to be made". And that "we have to look at those who have a good chance of recovering and who have a lot of years in front of them." Cuomo is afraid that is going to happen in NYC very soon.

I'm not being facetious when I say that we need to get our papers in order. I just spent the last week, off and on, updating mine.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:06 PM

492 posts, read 235,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
What are your true thoughts on this? I am a 68 year old senior in fairly good health, I personally feel I have a lot of life left in me. I was sad and hurt to read this, but I guess hard decisions have to be made at some point. I wonder if it will come to this in the US?

https://worldabcnews.com/italy-coron...60-world-news/
I would automatically exclude smokers, or any obese folks from any medical help. During your life you failed to care for yourself so you are on your own. Here in America that would leave many with the help of oxygen. Since most adults are obese, at least 50%. In my age group here in Idaho, 50-60 years old, it's more like 75%.

That would solve the problem. Save those that showed they cared for themselves. The gluttonous slobs and smokers get nothing.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,595,679 times
Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients:

Worry that ‘all hands’ responses may expose doctors and nurses to infection prompts debate about prioritizing the needs of the many over the one

(not confined to those age 60 and over)

By
Ariana Eunjung Cha

March 25, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ot-resucitate/

Old 03-25-2020, 05:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
I would automatically exclude smokers, or any obese folks from any medical help. During your life you failed to care for yourself so you are on your own. Here in America that would leave many with the help of oxygen. Since most adults are obese, at least 50%. In my age group here in Idaho, 50-60 years old, it's more like 75%.

That would solve the problem. Save those that showed they cared for themselves. The gluttonous slobs and smokers get nothing.
...mighty nice sentiments, 'Baptist

Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,279,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...mighty nice sentiments, 'Baptist
I'd look at it another way: with a limited supply of ventilators they should be used on those who have the greatest chance of success. (And, as a 67-year old I'd hate to see it based solely on age.) Someone with pre-existing issues- COPD, weak heart, CF- whether it's their "fault" or not, has a lower chance of survival. I'm not a doctor and am darn glad I don't have to make those decisions but faced with using the last ventilator on a previously-healthy nonsmoking, non-vaping 25-year old and a 60-year old with COPD, I'd tend to use it on the 25-year old.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd look at it another way: with a limited supply of ventilators they should be used on those who have the greatest chance of success. (And, as a 67-year old I'd hate to see it based solely on age.) Someone with pre-existing issues- COPD, weak heart, CF- whether it's their "fault" or not, has a lower chance of survival. I'm not a doctor and am darn glad I don't have to make those decisions but faced with using the last ventilator on a previously-healthy nonsmoking, non-vaping 25-year old and a 60-year old with COPD, I'd tend to use it on the 25-year old.
Well, you can only hope it'll be that simple....what about a 25 year old vaping diabetic versus a healthy 45 year old?

Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 PM

4,545 posts, read 3,772,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients:

Worry that ‘all hands’ responses may expose doctors and nurses to infection prompts debate about prioritizing the needs of the many over the one

By
Ariana Eunjung Cha

March 25, 2020

Age won’t matter if this happens.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-25-2020 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,595,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

By
Ariana Eunjung Cha

March 25, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Age won’t matter if this happens.
I had that in my post. See in green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement