Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,970,024 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say I hope this encourages some retirees to move abroad to countries that demonstrate they value the elderly during this crisis. Proof of this would be for example countries like Singapore and Malaysia where in Malaysia you will be INCARCERATED without fail for leisurely strolling around (not point A to point B) and violation of the lockdown.

So post-crisis some of you may want to consider relocation to the countries that demonstrate this kind of vigilance.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM

62,768 posts, read 88,974,689 times
Quote:
Italy no longer intubating those over 60 years old
This could be a fate of many Americans as well:

U.S. Hospitals prepare guidelines for who gets care amid coronavirus surge
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/n...navirus-surge/

Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 AM

62,768 posts, read 88,974,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Proof of this would be for example countries like Singapore and Malaysia where in Malaysia you will be INCARCERATED without fail for leisurely strolling around (not point A to point B) and violation of the lockdown.
Right! Or publicly shamed like in India:
https://twitter.com/gurpreetdhillon/...917522950?s=09

Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 AM

11,241 posts, read 6,873,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I just wanted to say I hope this encourages some retirees to move abroad to countries that demonstrate they value the elderly during this crisis. Proof of this would be for example countries like Singapore and Malaysia where in Malaysia you will be INCARCERATED without fail for leisurely strolling around (not point A to point B) and violation of the lockdown.

So post-crisis some of you may want to consider relocation to the countries that demonstrate this kind of vigilance.
If we ever get back to Ecuador, they value their oldsters. We can even participate in their affordable national health plan which is not the case for most retiree expats in Europe, for example. If not for that, I'd stay here in Portugal where we are on lockdown.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:38 AM

5,311 posts, read 3,690,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If we ever get back to Ecuador, they value their oldsters. We can even participate in their affordable national health plan which is not the case for most retiree expats in Europe, for example. If not for that, I'd stay here in Portugal where we are on lockdown.
I was in Portugal for most of February, came home just as Covid-consciousness was dawning here in the US. It was one of the last countries in Europe to record the sickness, none until after I came home. I like it more the more I visit, considering part-time residency once things get back to whatever normal will be.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:07 AM

23,970 posts, read 34,042,641 times
NJ is going to put a committee together to figure out who will get ventilators if it comes to that.

N.J. to create bioethics team to help make 'difficult’ choice of which coronavirus patients get a ventilator in case of shortage
Updated Mar 26, 2020; Posted Mar 26, 2020

Quote:
New Jersey is creating a bioethics panel to evaluate what would happen if the demand for ventilators needed to help critically ill coronavirus patients exceeds the supply, as is expected, state Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli said Thursday at the daily briefing.

Garden State hospitals have about 2,000 intensive care beds and needs to double that amount, Persichilli said. It also needs an additional 2,300 ventilators, and has asked the federal government for help in finding them, she said.

The panel will provide guidance on issues ranging from how best to distribute personal protection, life-saving equipment like ventilators and access to future experimental treatment and vaccines, Downs said.

“It will not happen everywhere, but in the next week or two, we will see some rationing decisions,” Caplan said.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 AM

7,701 posts, read 4,423,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

My geriatrician, who retired about 18 months ago, was a firm believer in P-A Suicide. He also firmly believed that everyone, 75+, should be able to have P-A Suicide for any reason whatsoever (and he was a conservative). He said that, yes, we are living longer but not better. That modern medical care will prolong our dying but not our lives. And that for many people, life is not all that great after 75-80. Since I am living in my third 55+ retirement community in the last 10+ years, I agree with him totally. My peers, for the most part, are in their apartments and watching TV, 24/7. Some volunteer a little. Some play golf. Some drive their adult children crazy by invading their lives, in hopes of warding off loneliness. That's about it.

This is so dark.

My MIL will be ninety years old in May. She'll been lonely since her husband died four years ago. She still has friends in her building, but she probably watches too much TV. She is still a mother to her three children. She has three grandchildren and two great grandchildren. She still is loved.

Two years ago, my mother died at 86 in a nursing home. She had most of her marbles. However, she had a stroke so she couldn't write or understand numbers. I became her account. It became important for my sister and I to talk to her about the past to preserve memories for our children. She still had value and was loved.

People do not have to do anything or produce anything to have value.

Italian family are multigenerational. Many of the older Italians live with their family and were an integral member of society. Some helped with childcare. Some only played checkers with friends. They were out in society which how they caught the coronavirus.

Note: my little town in Westchester has 30 cases of coronavirus. Thankfully, not everyone with coronavirus needs a ventilator as I doubt my local hospital has 30 ventilators. If it gets worse and with my proximity to NYC, I can't imagine there will not be difficult decisions.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM

9,513 posts, read 6,236,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
What are your true thoughts on this? I am a 68 year old senior in fairly good health, I personally feel I have a lot of life left in me. I was sad and hurt to read this, but I guess hard decisions have to be made at some point. I wonder if it will come to this in the US?

https://worldabcnews.com/italy-coron...60-world-news/
I think it sucks, that's what I think. Nobody is an acceptable loss. I saw this coming a while ago though, with all the 'right to die' crap & I don't care what anybody says; my mind is made up.

It normalized acceptable losses. And that is f***ed up.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,927,524 times
I’m still curious as to how they handle those they deny ventilators to. Do they at least send you home with pain meds?

Old 03-27-2020, 12:12 PM

7,701 posts, read 4,423,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I’m still curious as to how they handle those they deny ventilators to. Do they at least send you home with pain meds?
If you need a ventilator, you already seriously ill and not mobile. Even if you could walk, doctors wouldn't risk you leaving and infecting other people. I think they keep you comfortable in the hospital with pain meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement