Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 01:34 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
US medical facilities can buy medical equipment whenever they feel like it.
Not always.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health...tate-laws.aspx

Quote:
And, testing is a Red Herring.

Testing for COVID-19 is a big waste of time, money, lab space, resources and effort.

What does testing actually do? Nothing.

The treatment for COVID-19 is the same as HKU1 (Hong Kong), which is the same as the treatment for MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome), which is the same as NL63 (the Netherlands), which is the same as HCOV-NH (United States), which is the same as NL (the Netherlands), which is the same as COVID-2 (or SARS from China).

Those are all corona virus mutations in the last 20 years.

And the treatment is the same for the corona virus and influenza and parainfluenza and adenovirus and RSV and viral pneumonia.

Those are all Upper Respiratory Infections (URIs) and there is no cure and no vaccine.

All you can do is give the patient drugs to alleviate symptoms and help them breathe, and use medical devices to help the breathe.
No, they are not all treated the same. The reason we test for influenza is because there are antiviral meds for influenza.

The numerous clinical trials being set up attest to the fact that what works for one virus might or might not work for another.

Quote:
The rest is up to the patient. Either their immune system will win the battle or it won't.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Only uneducated uninformed people think there will be a vaccine.
Well, there are a lot of highly educated, knowledgeable folks working on vaccines, so this is not true.

Quote:
You still don't have vaccines for any of the corona virus mutations in the last 20 years, or in the 35 years prior to year 2000 (corona was discovered in 1965 in the UK) for the same reason you don't have vaccines for influenza and parainfluenza and adenovirus and RSV and viral pneumonia.
No influenza vaccine?

There are adenovirus vaccines. The military uses them.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...denovirus.html

There are veterinary coronavirus vaccines. Work on a SARS vaccine was stopped because the virus disappeared. Work on one for MERS is progressing.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-mvi072319.php

Quote:
In case you were wondering the vaccine for pneumonia does work, but it only protects against the 13 different bacteria that cause bacterial pneumonia and not against the several different virus that can cause pneumonia.
As previously noted, there are two vaccines against pneumococcal pneumonia.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/adult-p...cal/index.html

There are other vaccine preventable viral diseases which can cause pneumonia, including measles and chickenpox.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

There would be some major problems with this (he also says he would use it as the last resort... and I suspect he would find out that it doesn't particularly work in practice). I can't go into details of mechanics and hydraulics, but there are reasons why vents are constructed for single patients (there are enough problems even with that). I can't see this "improvisation" working for patients larger than about 150 lbs, and there would be a constant risk of blowing up/collapsing lungs (which for this type of patient would be deadly).

Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I also had the respiratory virus from hell. It started around Dec 7 and lasted 3 weeks. I had severe lower respiratory inflammation w/horrendous cough, aching legs and hips, mild fever, mild fatigue, deep hoarse voice, but no sinus. The symptoms I had mimicked those of some patients with CV-19. However, I'm thinking it couldn't have been CV-19 since supposedly it wasn't in the US yet. However, I do go to a gym that is full of people that work on the Las Vegas strip around lots of international tourists.
Exactly. It may be about those who have been in contact with someone else exposed to the covid-19 Corona virus.

My OH is a grocery store cashier ( we owe ALL who are "essential employees" a gratitude of thanks!) And is exposed to all sorts of people, who have been exposed to all sorts of people.

I started a new job at a hotel just as this was beginning. I was exposed to a LOT of Canadian guests, as well as at least one from Europe, and one from the UK. That job evaporated fairly quickly as people cancelled their trips.

I have underlying Health conditions. I have asthma, use a nebulizer machine, have a CPAP machine WITH oxygen concentrator feed for sleeping, because my pulse ox reduces to 77 at night while I sleep, on a normal routine night.

I am also prone to pneumonia ( even after both vaccines), prone to bronchitis, and definitely prone to winter colds and even the actual flu, Again even though I get the flu vaccine every year.

There is no doubt that my OH could be exposed and bring it home to me. Also my OH s immune system is waaay stronger than mine, though we DO tend to give each other colds and the flu when one of us gets it.

I live in NY, the "epicenter" of the USA, and 6% of total world wide cases! People of upstate NY DO/HAVE travelled to the city, where the bulk of NY s cases are, but it is very quickly spreading throughout the state.

I actually have "essential Business" to go out and attend to, but will try to limit our exposure, keep our distance, and hopefully return home "whole".

STOP THE SPREAD, STAY HOME, REDUCE YOUR CONTACT WITH OTHERS, INCLUDING FAMILY MEMBERS VULNERABLE, AND ABOVE ALL, PLEASE BE SAFE !!!! EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT ON LOCKDOWN AS WE ARE.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
"My job

How about a 55-year-old person with a specialized skill (pick any: electrician, plumber, carpenter, accountant, lawyer, nurse, whatever) versus a 25-year-old homeless drug addict?

Both have the same negative COVID prognosis but there's only one ventilator available. You choose.
When dialysis machines were first invented there weren't enough to go around and ethics committees were forced to make decisions as to how to allocate their use.

So this triage of resources has occurred in this country in the past.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 AM

153 posts, read 83,772 times
I think it’s clear at this point Italy lacks a lot of necessary infrastructure.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candirockstar View Post
I think it’s clear at this point Italy lacks a lot of necessary infrastructure.
That's a problem with a healthy population. In Italy, people live well into their 90's without medical intervention. There wasn't a need for ventilators or a large healthcare system.

That was yesterday and today is different.

No difference from the USA, Governor Cuomo wanted 18,000 ventilators for the NYC epicenter. He's only received 400 more. The USA doesn't have enough masks or protective clothing for healthcare workers either.

Sadly, we are in no position to talk about infrastructure.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
There are doctors in NYC who are right-now extubating older, sicker, COVID-19 patients in favor of younger, presumably stronger patients because they have already run out of ventilators & are documenting the dilemma through text & Twitter. And we are still some time before the expected peak.
Attached Thumbnails
Italy no longer intubating those over 60 years old-screen-shot-2020-03-25-10.17.15  

Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 AM

900 posts, read 683,306 times
Hefe, that is so, so sad. What a thing for the family to have to live through.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
That's a problem with a healthy population. In Italy, people live well into their 90's without medical intervention. There wasn't a need for ventilators or a large healthcare system.
Italy's average life expectancy is 83.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Italy has socialized medicine.

This is exactly how socialized medicine operates.
Italy has more beds to patient ratio than the U.S. and they are running out of space. Read Business Insider "Here's why experts are worried we won't have enough hospital beds to handle a surge of coronavirus patients."

"The U.S. has fewer hospital beds per 1,000 people compared to places like Japan, South Korea, and Italy"
Our health care system is a business, and business does not like empty rooms. Think of it like an airline with full flights. Our bed to patient ratio is low because that's what the business model dictates.

If we look at what's happening in Italy and the very tough decisions being made there, then, yes, we can reasonably assume that this will happen here. Especially in New York.

Our response time has been slow and incompetent. Our leadership lied like it was just a common cold and too many people did not take this seriously early on which allowed it to spread like wild fire.

Italy's difficult decisions on who lives and who dies has nothing to do with what kind of system they have for health care. It has everything to do with their nonchalant mentality and not taking this SARS virus seriously from day one and acting aggressively to stop it. Much of the same we are now seeing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement