Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,052,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You've already done your job by reproducing
"My job"??? Ouch.

Didn't realize that reproduction was a societal requirement for anyone in this day and age...

Let's take offspring out of the 'worthiness' equation because I agree, that factor is meaningless. How about a 55-year-old person with a specialized skill (pick any: electrician, plumber, carpenter, accountant, lawyer, nurse, whatever) versus a 25-year-old homeless drug addict?

Both have the same negative COVID prognosis but there's only one ventilator available. You choose.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Okay, update.

It appears (for now at least) that NYs cases have declined.

There are now about 50k cases in the US, and instead of half, NY now has a Quarter of the cases, our number is down from yesterday. And as it reduces, it becomes less of the national average.

But our gov. Cuomo has stated "we have NOT flattened the curve yet."

So take heed, all you NOT on lockdown, (only 14 states are), stay home as much as possible. Stay at least 6' from others, and be SAFE!

Now, NYs numbers MAY Again increase, that remains to be seen. They may have increased while we speak.

One case in my county, got sick one day, and was dead two days later. He was 81 or 82, Fairly healthy.
Unfortunately, no one notified his family, not from the hospital, not from the health department, how they found out ....was....from the undertaker at the funeral home, wanting to know what arrangements they wanted to make.

YEAH! I get to actually go out tomorrow, all essential activities.
1) we darn near forgot the '14 needs it's annual inspection, so taking it to Firestone. Then on to the bank and credit union. Then on to the pharmacy, then on to Walmart or Aldi fir a few things ( milk for one, bread for another, salad fixings { I've been too far off my diet lately}....I could make bread and will if they are out, but don't really feel like that noise right now) and fill up gas, both vehicles. The '14 needs it, the '19 will after running, try to keep them full as possible, not all gas stations are open, though essential.

Meanwhile, I have been knee deep in spring cleaning in the house. After 5 hours today, pulling out furniture, getting rid of old "junk", shredding old documents, etc.
Now my back is absolutely killing me. Sciatica is all upset too. Taking a break.

Mental health therapy is via phone now, so that is the afternoon. My OH sits in so as to work on self issues that are causing consternation in our relationship. Apparently, a lot of the issues stem from my OH s childhood. I had a bad/rough childhood, far worse than my OH and I grew up, handled change , or maybe created change as an adult, but apparently my OH cannot still, at 60 years old grow up and take responsibility for changing, or breaking the cycle of the "damage" suffered in childhood. So for the "family life" component of my therapy, my OH attends. Should be interesting, as my complaint will be that the changes my OH HAS made in steps to " growing up and being responsible" has been backsliding again now. Time to grow up and take responsibility for the decisions you make as an adult, without acting like a child, or blaming it on your 'lousy' childhood! We'll see what happens.

My second surgery for the year has been cancelled, the surgeon himself called me. It is to avoid infections that set in spring summer and fall. Surgeon said of it gets infected to calm and we'll get me in to see if he can override the orders against "non essential surgery". It IS an "in and out" ambulatory surgery.

We will see what happens next.

STAY HOME, STAY SAFE.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 03-24-2020 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,228,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok, update.

It appears (for now at least) that NYs cases have declined.

There are now about 50k cases in the US, and instead of half, NY now has a Quarter of the cases, our number is down from yesterday. And as it reduces, it becomes less of the national average.

But our gov. Cuomo has stated "we have NOT flattened the curve yet."

So take heed, all you NOT on lockdown, (only 14 states are), stay home as much as possible. Stay at least 6' from others, and be SAFE!

Now, NYs numbers MAY Again increase, that remains to be seen. They may have increased while we speak.

One case in my county, got sick one day, and was dead two days later. He was 81 or 82, Fairly healthy.
Unfortunately, no one notified his family, not from the hospital, not from the health department, how they found out ....was....from the undertaker at the funeral home, wanting to know what arrangements they wanted to make.

YEAH! I get to actually go out tomorrow, all essential activities.
1) we darn near forgot the '14 needs it's annual inspection, so taking it to Firestone. Then on to the bank and credit union. Then on to the pharmacy, then on to Walmart or Aldi fir a few things ( milk for one, bread for another, salad fixings { I've been too far off my diet lately}....I could make bread and will if they are out, but don't really feel like that noise right now) and fill up gas, both vehicles. The '14 needs it, the '19 will after running, try to keep them full as possible, not all gas stations are open, though essential.

My second surgery for the year has been cancelled, the surgeon himself called me. It is to avoid infections that set in spring summer and fall. Surgeon said of it gets infected to calm and we'll get me in to see if he can override the orders against "non essential surgery". It IS an "in and out" ambulatory surgery.

We will see what happens next.

STAY HOME, STAY SAFE.

Where did you get that? NY's numbers have increased by +4,790 in the last day? So, no - the NYs's numbers have not declined... I did not hear Andrew Cuomo saying that either.

I totally agree with the rest of what you say.

It is important for the people in other states to know that some of this has to do with the level of testing. NY State has really ramped up testing - and some of the higher number are due to that. A number of other states (including mine) have a very low level of testing and their numbers have much less validity.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well when you're 55 and have grandkids, unless you are the legal caretakers of those grandkids, they don't need you to survive, they have parents. You've already done your job by reproducing and you have two generations ahead of you. A young person with no kids still has a lifetime ahead of them. Just because you have grandkids doesn't make you more important than a 30 or 40 year old with no kids.
I was coming up with quick hypotheticals - YOU come up with cases that are tough for YOU to decide! BTW - I have no kids or grandkids so don't include me personally in your arguments or sentiments.

As another hypothetical, kids don't need both parents - one should be ready to sacrifice him or herself - preferably out there earning a living so they won't need the government's handouts.

Do you automatically think any 30 year old should automatically get preference over any 35 year old ...a 31 year old? All a 25 year old has is POTENTIAL - and that is potential for BAD as well as good. I say put 20-30 year-olds with no kids at the very bottom of the list of priorities...certainly below 39 year olds with kids....

Old 03-24-2020, 12:15 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
In classic triage, care is given to those who can most benefit from it. Not an age number, likely, but the general medical condition. I doubt anyone will have time or inclination to judge someone's social utility or to even find it out.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In classic triage, care is given to those who can most benefit from it. Not an age number, likely, but the general medical condition. I doubt anyone will have time or inclination to judge someone's social utility or to even find it out.
But what if healthcare workers are given a formula by the government/hospital, etc.?

Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It will happen everywhere if the hospitals become overwhelmed.

I'm sure it happened in China only they didn't tell us.
Italy is the first country outside of China to reach a critical stage.
Spain has just got there and they are making choices as well.
France is next.

And we are on the same road. People are not isolating to contain the spread.
China had a 98 y o patient recovered after being on a ventilator for weeks: the Chinese still are mostly a traditional society and revere their elderly ancestors

Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM

962 posts, read 613,566 times
The primary critique regarding socialized medicine is "rationing healthcare".

Liberals always respond, "No. That never happens."

So, Italy is now "rationing healthcare".

Liberals say, "No they're not."

You guys are too funny!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:01 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
It doesn't matter if healthcare is socialized or not, they will be rationing it in the US when we run out of respirators. I guarantee you Italy would NOT be rationing them if they had enough. By all accounts Italy, especially the northern area that is most hard hit, actually has a very highly regarded healthcare system. They have more doctors and hospital beds per capita than the US. Italy ranks about 8th in the world of doctors per capita vs the US in 52d place. Hospital beds per capita, Italy ranks something like 26th and US is 32nd. So we have more people, and fewer beds and doctors.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:41 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But what if healthcare workers are given a formula by the government/hospital, etc.?
I saw an algorithm given to an ER doc in CA. It didn't include age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement