Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It doesn't matter if healthcare is socialized or not, they will be rationing it in the US when we run out of respirators. I guarantee you Italy would NOT be rationing them if they had enough. By all accounts Italy, especially the northern area that is most hard hit, actually has a very highly regarded healthcare system. They have more doctors and hospital beds per capita than the US. Italy ranks about 8th in the world of doctors per capita vs the US in 52d place. Hospital beds per capita, Italy ranks something like 26th and US is 32nd. So we have more people, and fewer beds and doctors.
Exactly some just don’t want to see this fact.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
What are your true thoughts on this? I am a 68 year old senior in fairly good health, I personally feel I have a lot of life left in me. I was sad and hurt to read this, but I guess hard decisions have to be made at some point. I wonder if it will come to this in the US?

https://worldabcnews.com/italy-coron...60-world-news/
There are only so many ventilators available. Some hospitals are putting 2 or 4 people on one vent. You cannot do more than that!

What else do you propose since the machines are NOT there?

Hard sickening decisions must be made.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Where did you get that? NY's numbers have increased by +4,790 in the last day? So, no - the NYs's numbers have not declined... I did not hear Andrew Cuomo saying that either.

I totally agree with the rest of what you say.

It is important for the people in other states to know that some of this has to do with the level of testing. NY State has really ramped up testing - and some of the higher number are due to that. A number of other states (including mine) have a very low level of testing and their numbers have much less validity.

Yes, that 16,000 figure somehow got into the current status, but WAS AN OLD # from Sunday!

Now on Tuesday, there are almost 52,000 cases Nationwide, and NY s CURRENT STATISTIC is we have almost 26, O00!! So STILL HALF THE CASES IN THE USA.

SORRY fir the ERRONEOUSLY wrong number I posted!!!

NY is STILL the epicenter of the country!

Gov Cuomo said all need to pay attention to NY, as what's happening here, will be repeated Across the country, especially the larger cities.

I do finally get to go out tomorrow. Have "essential" Business to take care of. Car inspected is one, and banking and pharmacy.

Also today I found out my cousin died of cancer. He had been placed in a hospice home of 10 patient s. We just lost his father, my uncle, to cancer in November. He had the same type of cancer. He lives just 6 1/5 hours from us, down in PA, but will probably be transferred back to his native Illinois. My state, PA, and Illinois are all under lockdown, but family funerals ARE considered "essential".
The question becomes can we even hold the funeral now, or do we/ can we hold off the service. I believe being he's supposed to be cremated, it will be easier to hold off a service/memorial. My other cousin (: the deceased s brother) had his hands full!

Ugh, this gets ugly by the day.

Best to ALL, STAY HOME, STAY SAFE everyone!!

Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
What are your true thoughts on this? I am a 68 year old senior in fairly good health, I personally feel I have a lot of life left in me. I was sad and hurt to read this, but I guess hard decisions have to be made at some point. I wonder if it will come to this in the US?
It helps immensely to understood why things are the way they are.

As of now, there are 17,480 deaths.

Reported deaths:

China: 3,277
Spain: 2,800
Italy: 6,077
Iran: 1,934
France: 860

Let's analyze.

Those 5 States have 83.7% of all deaths.

China has a population of 1.5+ Billion so that's 0.0002% which is neither epidemic nor pandemic.

What the other 4 States have in common is that they are unitary States (and they have significantly large elderly populations).

When you create a State, there are three routes you can go: unitary State, confederation or federation.

A unitary State was never considered for the US, because from its inception, the US was way too culturally diverse and the only thing that would happen is lots of civil wars in the form of revolutionary wars and nationalistic wars and such. A confederacy was tried but apparently failed, so the only option left was a federation. That's why we're a federal republic.

An historical problem with unitary States that still exists today is the fact that they tend to spend a disproportionate amount of tax money in the capital city, which is usually also that State's show-place and main tourist attraction.

For every $100 the French sent to their government in taxes, the French government would spend $99 in Paris and give $1 back to the Department.

In the 1970s, the French people got tired of getting screwed and rioted in typical French fashion burning cars in the streets and such.

The French government's response was the creation of 5 economic regions to at least give the appearance that tax dollars were being spent fairly, and it looks good on paper, but in reality, a disproportionate amount of tax dollars are still spent on Paris.

In a federation, tax dollars are typically redistributed by population (the fairest way) or equally among the political subdivisions (also fair but not nearly as fair as per capita distributions).

Spain, Italy and Iran all spend money disproportionately in Madrid, Rome and Tehran, their capital cities.

What is the implication for a universal healthcare system?

Well, first, Spain and Italy are not 1st World States.

They are 2nd World States, just like Iran and Romania and Poland and Serbia and Russia.

Spain and Italy merely have the veneer of 1st World. Scratch the surface and you can plainly see they are not.

If you go to the Amazon jungles where some tribes still practice cannibalism and you give them a cell-phone and an SUV, does that transform them from Stone Age to 1st World Status?

No, not hardly, the point being Spain and Italy and Iran are not even on a par with the US or Canada or Britain or Australia or Japan.

Spain and Iran have a British-style NHS government run universal healthcare system, while Italy has a private universal system that is government funded.

Rome has the best most-modern well-equipped medical facilities staffed at 100%, 100% of the time.

You go away from Rome to Vicenza, and you have a 1950s hospital with 1970s equipment and lucky to be staffed 60% to 80%.

From where are these news reports coming? Not Rome. They're coming from out in the country where the Italian government spends little on healthcare and little on infrastructure or public works or anything else, because all the money is spent in Rome.

Same with Spain. All the money is spent in Madrid. Yeah, they pumped money into Barcelona, but that was only for the Olympics. Otherwise Barcelona would be the dump it always was.

You live in Galicia or Basque country or Catalan and you don't get jack squat for healthcare dollars or infrastructure or anything else.

Iran doesn't spend any money in Kurdish territory or Baloch territory or on the Turks or Uzbeks. The Iranians only spend money on the Arabs because they have to.

I'm sure if you're one of the chosen few, you get the best care at hospitals in Tehran, but if not, sucks to be you.

So, to answer your question, no.

First, you have a private system.

Second, and this is a cultural thing, US medical personnel go to extraordinary lengths to prolong life. In other States, death is seen as normal and no overt action is taken to prolong life.

Also a cultural thing is quality of life. If you dumped the body of a person whose arms and legs were amputated by a chain-saw and their eyes gouged out and ear-drums pierced, European doctors would not intervene.

On the other hand, US doctors would work heroically for as long as it takes and regardless of cost to save that patient's life.

It's not that Europeans value life less, it's just that they value it differently.

US medical facilities are well-equipped with the latest medical devices, medical equipment, drugs, treatments and surgical procedures.

US facilities are more capable of handling emergencies, and 9-11 made them even better, but if you don't have the medical equipment and drugs you need, there's nothing to be done.

Not so for other States where the approval time can take forever and budgetary restraints create bars.

There was a British MP that had macular degeneration. The US had a drug on the market for several years, but the NHS wouldn't approve it because of cost and because they didn't think it was necessary.

After she lost the sight in one of her eyes, she came to the US for successful treatment to save the sight in her other eye.

US medical facilities can buy medical equipment whenever they feel like it.

Medical facilities in other States can only buy equipment if the budget the government gives them allows for it. If not, they have to wait until they have enough money in the budget.

And, testing is a Red Herring.

Testing for COVID-19 is a big waste of time, money, lab space, resources and effort.

What does testing actually do? Nothing.

The treatment for COVID-19 is the same as HKU1 (Hong Kong), which is the same as the treatment for MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome), which is the same as NL63 (the Netherlands), which is the same as HCOV-NH (United States), which is the same as NL (the Netherlands), which is the same as COVID-2 (or SARS from China).

Those are all corona virus mutations in the last 20 years.

And the treatment is the same for the corona virus and influenza and parainfluenza and adenovirus and RSV and viral pneumonia.

Those are all Upper Respiratory Infections (URIs) and there is no cure and no vaccine.

All you can do is give the patient drugs to alleviate symptoms and help them breathe, and use medical devices to help the breathe.

The rest is up to the patient. Either their immune system will win the battle or it won't.

Only uneducated uninformed people think there will be a vaccine.

You still don't have vaccines for any of the corona virus mutations in the last 20 years, or in the 35 years prior to year 2000 (corona was discovered in 1965 in the UK) for the same reason you don't have vaccines for influenza and parainfluenza and adenovirus and RSV and viral pneumonia.

In case you were wondering the vaccine for pneumonia does work, but it only protects against the 13 different bacteria that cause bacterial pneumonia and not against the several different virus that can cause pneumonia.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:35 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
A lot of good stuff. Lost me on testing is a red herring. The only success stories in this have been - S Korea, Germany, Singapore, may be Taiwan and a few others. One thing they have in common - very heavy testing and focused but very strict restrictions on people with positive. By the way, each of these country have very strict health care systems covering 100% of the population (S. Korea and Singapore - single payer, Germany - very highly regulated public/private system that is universal, i.e. - no one is without coverage). Also, the region most affected in Italy is Lombardy, one of the richest areas in Italy.

Agree with most of the rest, but that's table stakes. At this point, the challenges are (1) to flatten the curve to minimize people that could be saved but are not because of lack of care, and (b) develop treatment options (plasma antibodies, other), releasing restrictions on those who have recovered (again requires testing that you aren't hot about), and use stratification to bring the economy back on line. But - what do I know.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM

334 posts, read 537,627 times
This is the OP. I went to Snopes to see how true this is:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/it...y-coronavirus/

Old 03-24-2020, 04:46 PM

Excellent! I had questioned it back in #40. But, if and when the system is at the limit - there will be some that will be left without care. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it also would consider who has a better survival possibility, classic triage. Maybe the younger patient has more underlying medical issues that makes them a higher risk of death. Or the age difference could be negligible, and so forth.

Maybe so. There are pros and cons to standards and guidelines. On one hand they provide uniform treatment protocols that justify decisions, on the other hand there will always be exceptional cases.

I wonder what the success rate was for seniors on ventilators? If only 5% of those over 60 who needed ventilators were surviving then it's not a very good use of that resoure.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There are only so many ventilators available. Some hospitals are putting 2 or 4 people on one vent. You cannot do more than that!

What else do you propose since the machines are NOT there?

Hard sickening decisions must be made.

It is not technically possible to put more than one person on one vent at the same time.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
It is not technically possible to put more than one person on one vent at the same time.

May be it is best to google it. You will find a number of companies trying to do exactly that. It was also discussed in a MEDCRAM update as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.