Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 12:34 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...I noted this board.
I wouldn't know about the subforums...I rarely go to any of those.
Though I would if there was one for my Religion (Pantheism).
Even that is wrong. The sacred circle thread is longer than this one, and it really doesn't matter. This one would be considerably shorter if we hadn't merged two threads together.

We can't create sub-forums. If you want one, ask in About The Forum. If you don' want one, don't ask Administrator for it. Administrator is the only one that can create new forums.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:14 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I like Mystic's even better than this one, and I don't much like Mystic's either...

To bastardize atheism like you do is difficult for an atheist and/or anyone who understands that atheists don't think about, blame or associate a god with anything! Let alone how screwed up the world is. Best I can do to fix your proposed title is as follows; "Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

Why drag atheists into this silly want to pin responsibility on anyone or anything but ourselves?

Because I believe atheism can be expressed by just cutting gods out of your life and living it as though nothing supernatural or spiritual touches it, even if you happen to acknowledge the possibility one may exist. In short I refuse to be bound by your narrow scope of interpretation of the term, "atheist." That's the way I live my life now--I live without any thought or expectation that a God will intervene in my life in any way and I don't make any motions to try to make contact with this entity. That still doesn't dismiss my belief that whatever higher power created this world still owes us at the least some evidence it exists even if it's going to stubbornly refuse to touch us in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
In my view, God is only interested in our development as Spirit, NOT our physical lives,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrillobyte
Well, okay let's go with your premise, Mystic--that God is only interested in our spiritual development. Please explain to me how did the 19 children who were shot to pieces in Uvalde reach the apex of their spiritual development at such tender ages as 7 and 8? How do any children from stillborn to 7 YO--millions of children every year who die in the most slow, painful and horrendous ways--children who can't even begin to comprehend the idea of spiritual development--how are these children possibly reaching spiritual fruition?

Why do Christians always cut and run when you ask them a question they aren't capable of answering? Can't they at least man up and admit, "You ask a question I can't answer, sorry"?

Old 05-31-2022, 01:55 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why do Christians always cut and run when you ask them a question they aren't capable of answering? Can't they at least man up and admit, "You ask a question I can't answer, sorry"?
Right? I can't even answer my own questions/doubts.

I believe there's a "Dark Side" responsible for evil but that's as far as I "know". Plus, man's propensity for evil (in some).

Old 05-31-2022, 02:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
How about we go with the premise god made you the best way he could? and that your life, to you, won't be one bit different if you believed he was there or not?

He will do whatever he (or it) can to promote growth.

speaking of cutting and running how about we list claims that look reliable or not? How does your evil god stack up to reliability?

all evil god
only good god
tweener deity
living system
non living system
avoid anything that would force us to actually evaluating all the claims we see to focus on how wrong Christianity is only.

What one seems to be more reliable in forming a belief? add any I may be missing.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Right? I can't even answer my own questions/doubts.

I believe there's a "Dark Side" responsible for evil but that's as far as I "know". Plus, man's propensity for evil (in some).

First rule of debate is "Never put forth a hypothesis for which you haven't got an adequate defense if someone should challenge it." I ask what possible spiritual growth could occur in a stillborn or an infant dying a horrible senseless murder. Mystic obviously cannot answer such a question because the premise God is concerned solely with the spiritual growth of a human who didn't even have a chance at spiritual growth is therefore ridiculous on its face. Just one more example of Christians not thinking through a premise its own absurd conclusion.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
How about we go with the premise god made you the best way he could? and that your life, to you, won't be one bit different if you believed he was there or not?

He will do whatever he (or it) can to promote growth.

speaking of cutting and running how about we list claims that look reliable or not? How does your evil god stack up to reliability?

all evil god
only good god
tweener deity
living system
non living system
avoid anything that would force us to actually evaluating all the claims we see to focus on how wrong Christianity is only.

What one seems to be more reliable in forming a belief? add any I may be missing.

It's a silly premise to start off on. In deism God didn't have anything to do with actually making us individually. HE set natural laws into motion at the start of the universe and then withdrew for participation. That makes God an indirect cause of my birth and my mother and father getting it on one hot summer night as the direct cause of my birth. As to the rest

God is not all evil or all good in my opinion. He displays traits of both. Maybe that's what you blithely refer to as a tweener deity.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It's a silly premise to start off on. In deism God didn't have anything to do with actually making us individually. HE set natural laws into motion at the start of the universe and then withdrew for participation. That makes God an indirect cause of my birth and my mother and father getting it on one hot summer night as the direct cause of my birth. As to the rest

God is not all evil or all good in my opinion. He displays traits of both. Maybe that's what you blithely refer to as a tweener deity.

Maybe they are wrong. In fact, I think they are. I think its more like your parents started the formation of you. Or your "aliveness" forms and destroys the cells in you. what would those cells say if they are a complex as you cell?

ok so we narrowed weeded out all good and all bad. Its basically a stupid starting point.

we are left with

tweener deity (your both)
living system Not an organism but not "inanimate object" either.
non living system
past lives are real
we are only responding to theism.
Don't connect any dots
there is no god or gods of any type. I mean anything ...not one thing more to this than you see off the end of your nose.
cement theory
I am not letting religion control me.
only talk about a forward thinking controlling deity type. All others are a strawman.

add any others that can help us sort through the noise.

what one of those statements comparts more with observations that most people could understand and agree in large part with.

or we just weed out some others that are less reliable. The way we did with only evil and only good god.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
First rule of debate is "Never put forth a hypothesis for which you haven't got an adequate defense if someone should challenge it." I ask what possible spiritual growth could occur in a stillborn or an infant dying a horrible senseless murder. Mystic obviously cannot answer such a question because the premise God is concerned solely with the spiritual growth of a human who didn't even have a chance at spiritual growth is therefore ridiculous on its face. Just one more example of Christians not thinking through a premise its own absurd conclusion.
unless its not a debate and we are just trying to learn. Maybe?

what you can learn for the still born is empathy. Or maybe we need to change something we are doing in our people care tactics.

What we can also learn is that this god might not be able to change anything at anytime he wants.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Maybe they are wrong. In fact, I think they are. I think its more like your parents started the formation of you. Or your "aliveness" forms and destroys the cells in you. what would those cells say if they are a complex as you cell?

ok so we narrowed weeded out all good and all bad. Its basically a stupid starting point.

we are left with

tweener deity (your both)
living system Not an organism but not "inanimate object" either.
non living system
past lives are real
we are only responding to theism.
Don't connect any dots
there is no god or gods of any type. I mean anything ...not one thing more to this than you see off the end of your nose.
cement theory
I am not letting religion control me.
only talk about a forward thinking controlling deity type. All others are a strawman.

add any others that can help us sort through the noise.

what one of those statements comparts more with observations that most people could understand and agree in large part with.

or we just weed out some others that are less reliable. The way we did with only evil and only good god.

What exactly are we trying to do with the bold? This is in danger of degenerating into gldnrule-ism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality