Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 12:56 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,956,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are a very impatient man, Thrill. I have been cutting back my participation here primarily because of the intransigence or what LearnMe would call the "cement" of the views here. My views are hard-come-by and detailed reflecting a serious effort to reconcile the myriad contradictions and inconsistencies in extant God-belief. It seems that few to none here are willing to do the same or even engage the results rigorously. However, I find just bemoaning the inadequacies or irrationalities of extant viewpoints as you do to be unproductive. Pointing them out is useful, the rest is pointless.

The primary issue that confronts current believers in God is their physical (carnal) mindset. This physical existence is NOT the important one. It is only the beginning. The fact that our Spiritual existence is only beginning means that there will be continued existence after our physical demise, whenever or however it happens. Everything we know or can know about life from our experiences here indicates that it proceeds from the "seed" through definite stages to maturity. Why you would think that our spiritual existence would be any different is beyond me.

Okay, so in the immortal words of King Henry II of England, "I'm an idiot. Talk to me like an idiot." Yes or no, does an infant have any level of spiritual development? If no, then why does your god send them into the world to develop spiritually just to take them out a year after they are born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 01:17 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,393,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It would be so easy for me to just stop believing there is a God were it not for this pesky detail:

"The 2010 edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica contains 32 volumes, 50 million words and 300 million characters. It requires roughly 1 gigabyte (GB) of disk space to store. A single byte (or 8 bits) can represent 4 DNA base pairs. In order to represent the entire diploid human genome in terms of bytes, we can perform the following calculations: 6×10^9 base pairs/diploid genome x 1 byte/4 base pairs = 1.5×10^9 bytes or 1.5 Gigabytes, about 2 CDs worth of space!"

I hope you got that. The human genome could hold the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and still have room left over for another half of the set. To my mind this kind of gigantic organization of coded information could not have come about by accident. The odds of something like that happening on its own are so infinitesimal as to render the number virtually incapable of being written out.
Hey Thrill - if the genome detail blows your mind, have you ever seen this presentation too?
(presentation starts about 2 minutes in - mindblowing, hard to dismiss.....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taKaFUNJ6Ec

Old 06-01-2022, 02:20 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Okay, so in the immortal words of King Henry II of England, "I'm an idiot. Talk to me like an idiot." Yes or no, does an infant have any level of spiritual development? If no, then why does your god send them into the world to develop spiritually just to take them out a year after they are born?
To the best of our knowledge, a human infant does NOT possess what we recognize as consciousness (Spirit) for several weeks AFTER physical birth. IMO, once it does, it is eternal relative to physical existence because it exists at the level of quanta (BEC) NOT in the physical matter of the brain. Its development is facilitated by our physical existence NOT dependent on it. I am NOT privy to God's. motives just His nature and love so I can only infer. Reproduction just seems obvious since that is what children are for.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:32 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,450,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Hey Thrill - if the genome detail blows your mind, have you ever seen this presentation too?
Coincidentally, I was just watching that video a few days ago.

As for this OP: based on what you wrote, you seem to know that God must exist, but you reject Him because He doesn't do what you expect Him to do. The Bible reveals that He does according to His will. If you don't like that, and if that's the hill you want to die on, I'm not sure I can help you with that.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Coincidentally, I was just watching that video a few days ago.

As for this OP: based on what you wrote, you seem to know that God must exist, but you reject Him because He doesn't do what you expect Him to do. The Bible reveals that He does according to His will. If you don't like that, and if that's the hill you want to die on, I'm not sure I can help you with that.
The all evil god is a fail. But The hard core anti-god/religious guys will jump on just because they follow the flute's sound. They don't much care what the tune is.

But your point is weak too. The B-word does reveal some healthy stuff. But the one thing I learned from Jesus' teachings was not to take your religion seriously and just help "them". Break bread with "them". ANd treat them with the dignity they deserve.

I remember being in grade school saying "wait a min, he made us the way we are and then sends us to permeant torture? ... no way, you guys have it wrong."

Old 06-01-2022, 06:02 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,956,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To the best of our knowledge, a human infant does NOT possess what we recognize as consciousness (Spirit) for several weeks AFTER physical birth. IMO, once it does, it is eternal relative to physical existence because it exists at the level of quanta (BEC) NOT in the physical matter of the brain. Its development is facilitated by our physical existence NOT dependent on it. I am NOT privy to God's. motives just His nature and love so I can only infer. Reproduction just seems obvious since that is what children are for.

Okay, thank you much, Mystic. It was a very civil answer and I appreciate that especially in light that I have behaved less than civilly toward you in my last few posts. I apologize for that. I cannot comprehend exactly what you say except for the you are not privy to part. It's an incredibly complex topic.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Okay, thank you much, Mystic. It was a very civil answer and I appreciate that especially in light that I have behaved less than civilly toward you in my last few posts. I apologize for that. I cannot comprehend exactly what you say except for the you are not privy to part. It's an incredibly complex topic.
NP. Peace, brother.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:19 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,014,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taKaFUNJ6Ec
A demonstration of how simple rules can create complex structures is evidence a god is not required, not the other way round.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:20 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,014,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Which makes this god immoral.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:37 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Maybe for some atheism is a rejection of an evil God. For me the God of the Bible is a reason to dismiss the Bible,'s version of that God but is not the reason for me being an atheist. I am sure thatvother atheists have reasons differ from.my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality