Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 12:31 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,075,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're forgetting that the level of suffering in this world is so great that it turns a large percentage of people away from God. If God's purpose is to try to teach us something He sure chose a half-baked away to do it. I'd expect an entity with the ultimate wisdom of a God to find a way to teach us the things you mention without turning a significant portion of the world population into agnosticism, atheism, deism, pantheism and a whole variety of belief systems contrary to what He's expecting. His method, unless there is some kind of higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom, is so slipshod it begs the question, "What in the possible hell can He be thinking?" I can think of one possibility: we are on this earth not to experience happiness, but to experience misery and pain. This is the first step in some greater purpose for our eternal-long growth. That's all I can come up with that offers a satisfactory explanation for God's apparent total disinterest in our human condition. For example, why do 95% of all fatal diseases involve suffering ranging from mild to extreme? If God were merciful why couldn't it be the other way around? Why couldn't it be 95% quick painless death, 5% long painful suffering, then death?

Right now I am watching a documentary about Cornavirus. The docu stated there are about 1.5 million known viruses. Almost all of them cause some degree of painful fatality. Why? What's the logical reason God created these devil viruses? To torment us? Doesn't that make Him an evil God? Maybe we should just eliminate the word "logical" because there's nothing logical about it.

I think the easiest way to cope with all this is to push God completely out of our minds. Forget Him. Trying to figure all this out just gives some of us a big, fat headache and who needs more pain. Treat Him like He doesn't exist the same way He treats us like we don't exist. That's the easiest way to go about our lives: things are the way they are. No rhyme, no reason. Period. I know it sounds like atheism, but for me I still know He's out there. I just treat Him like an ex- who dumped me. Out of sight, out of mind, out of life.
My ego was never fussy which excuse I chose to turn away from God.
Any would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 12:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The non-existence of God makes everything fall into place. Only then does it makes any sense.

The existence of God makes everything fall into place.
Only then does it makes any sense.

I believe in God as I believe the sun will rise.
Not because I see the sun, but by it, I see everything else.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 AM

16,818 posts, read 5,025,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the problem with hs side is the exact same problem with your side.

you both avoid any facts that say you are half right and half wrong. Its has to be anti-god or deity and nothing is allowed in between.
The agreement is that we do not talk to each other or about each other. You are now talking about me more and more, against that agreement, and lying every time.

Either attempt to demonstrate where my arguments fail, or be quiet. This will save you time writing your rubbish, me reporting your rubbish, the admins deleting your rubbish, and everyone else from reading or scrolling past your usual rubbish.

Do not respond to this, but ask an admin to delete this post after you have read and understood it.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:31 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,026,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Share them with us.
I've been thinking about sharing for several days but my ability to articulate is somewhat challenged. And by the time I get home after work I am tired which doesn't help. But I plan on trying. I've found this thread to be rather thought provoking.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:40 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times
Quote:
As I've said before. The non-existence of God makes everything fall into place. Only then does it makes any sense.

I also have no problems with abiogenesis and evolution to the current state we see today. The mind bogglingly complex and large genome is quite understandable.

To me anyway.

I go with the man created God concept. Now what that means in real terms is an unknown to me. I have a few ideas though.

Very good. There have been some fine posts here wrestling with the problem of Evil, essentially. But the short and easy answer is, if you start with the idea of there being No God at all (or , out of respect to the Desists, a non -intervening one) then it all makes perfect sense.

There is no divine plan, nobody is looking out for us; we are on our own, we are responsible for what we do, and it is in our own hands to do the best for ourselves and our fellows.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Any would do.
Even if that's true (I have learned not to trust anything you say) it is not the reason why the God -claim is untenable.
Quote:

This is palpably untrue. The existence claim for an intervening god is what raisie all the questions. The problem of evil is the essence of why the god -claim doesn't make sense.

You final bonehead faith -claim with the only -too- evidence seeing everything through the stained -glass spectacles of godFaith makes it clear that we have no reasoning, discussion or evidence, but just timewasting faith -declarations.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I've been thinking about sharing for several days but my ability to articulate is somewhat challenged. And by the time I get home after work I am tired which doesn't help. But I plan on trying. I've found this thread to be rather thought provoking.
I have found that Discussion - either with the Voice in my head or with others, here, clarifieds vague ideas I have. By all means let's hear your ideas.

I have a few of my own based, really, on the idea that all our instincts are for survival and anything we so, art, music, literature, society, morals, authority and indeed, religion has that purpose, or we wouldn't have that instinct.

It was one of the most formative ideas in the old 'Matrix' thread (with me, Mystic phd and matrix) where it came out that religion was an evolved instinct, but its' purpose was to help us survive, not to tell us what is true.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,623,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have found that Discussion - either with the Voice in my head or with others, here, clarifieds vague ideas I have. By all means let's hear your ideas.

I have a few of my own based, really, on the idea that all our instincts are for survival and anything we so, art, music, literature, society, morals, authority and indeed, religion has that purpose, or we wouldn't have that instinct.

It was one of the most formative ideas in the old 'Matrix' thread (with me, Mystic phd and matrix) where it came out that religion was an evolved instinct, but its' purpose was to help us survive, not to tell us what is true.
and when it starts to get to specific, like moving away from anti-religious to doing the best we can ... run away.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 AM

15,898 posts, read 6,366,137 times
Quote:
Any would do.
Did you really not want to believe in God? Why? That always amazes me when believers say not believers don't want to believe. Who wouldn't want some grand being in charge of everything? I would have loved to believe what I encountered was some divine presence. The evidence strongly points away from that IMO. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Quote:

That's why I'd love for it to be true. I've had to undergo some pretty painful struggles coming to terms with the concept of fairness among others that can be salved with belief. I finally just had to let go of it and accept it as it is.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:44 AM

29,557 posts, read 9,771,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How would a god 'not care', when the entire point by which man created a god was to experience hope/support re: death, illness and morality based in fear? It wouldn't serve the purpose for which he was created.
Simple. Man didn't do that great a job of creating a god...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality