Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 01:40 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,847,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Another perhaps taking my comments too seriously.

Believe me, if we assume there is a God, and if we assume God is wanting people to spread His message, and if we assume Mystic is doing more good rather than harm in that respect, then you are absolutely right. God would have no problem with what Mystic is doing. And an amen to that!

An even bigger if to consider is whether anyone spending time in this forum is accomplishing any such thing or anything of consequence whatsoever! That's more the humor I had in mind when I suggested God is most likely to question how we spend our time here.

Right. Never mind...
If I took your comments "too seriously", and if I came across as too harsh, then I apologize. In all honesty, I think that MOST commentary on this forum can be of some value to believers and non-believers.

I think that whole point to spending time on forums such as CD, is that we have no idea WHO or in WHAT WAY our comments will impact. Of course, some theists hope to 'suade others in one direction, while some a-theists hope to 'suade them in another.

I look at it like this: A beggar begs for change. If I decide to give that person some money, I have no idea what (s)he will do with the money. Use it for drugs? Alcohol? Food? Cigarettes? Weed? Putting it together with other money for his/her electric bill...or medicine?

I can do as my late husband did...which was to refuse to give money to beggars because the beggar would "only use it for drugs or alcohol". In his mind, there was no other possibility, because of all of the 'statistics' claiming that so many used the money for drugs. Meanwhile, *I* have the opposite approach, and that is, "you never know".

The whole point, is that I have no idea HOW or WHO our comments will impact others. Even if they impact only ONE person for the good, to me (and probably Mystic...and others...) it was time "well spent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,313,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Believe me when I tell you that God has NO PROBLEM with ANYONE who tries to spread His message.

Oh, I most certainly believe you, because the only reason x-tians aren't imprisoning, torturing, murdering and confiscating people's property is because they've been stripped of power by people just like me.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:58 PM

18,270 posts, read 17,113,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
“But I ’debunked’ you on a discussion forum” will be no excuse. To the lake of fire you will go.

Ohhhh brother! That old canard again???????

Old 05-12-2020, 03:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,313,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The God I met and the one revealed and demonstrated by Jesus needs no defense against your human-derived expectations.
What I'm hearing is your god is too cowardly to stand before his accusers.

Quote:
That's one of the most soulless comments I've read in this forum in a long while.
I'm guessing you haven't read the text.

Would you like to know what you're going to be doing in this hellish after-life?

You're going to put on a white tupa and bow and sing, "Holy, Holy is the Lamb!" for all eternity.

And here you mistakenly thought you'd get to travel around the Universe viewing wonders, satiating desires both subtle and gross, and gaining an understanding.

Fat chance of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
everything you posted here shows it was fast.
So you say, based entirely on your ethnocentric view.

If only every prior existing organism had to wait 13 years to reach sexual maturity and then produced one off-spring, you might actually be onto something.

The astute observer would have noted that the less complex an organism is, the faster it reaches sexual maturity, the shorter the gestation period, and the more off-spring it produces.

As organisms become more complex, it takes longer to reach sexual maturity, the gestation period is longer, and fewer off-spring are produced.

Yes, the average human life-span was 35 years, but the median age was actually 58 years.

There are bacteria that reproduce every 4 minutes. That's 7,621,200 generations.

A green-eyed fly every 24 hours, or 21,170 generations.

See how that works?

Quote:
What it shows is that you have earth bound view and think that human time scales are the reference frame. A very limited view.
I neither stated nor implied any such thing. We are, after all, talking about Earth. Conditions on other planets would be different, unless one happened to be exactly like Earth in every way, shape and form.

Quote:
We might be second or third gen star. Life happen real fast. It took the first generation stars just to produce the elements. it took some 3 billion years to produce the oxygen needed for multi cellar life. As soon as the O2 was available life went "boom". It went from a rat size animal to a human in 65 million years. From a ape thing to pre-human then human in a several/couple of million years.
Yes, because mutations happen.

Quote:
How many times do you say "by chance" when it becomes apparent that "by chance" just is not explaining it property? Unless you are using the word "random" like they do when they a cell insides are working in a random fashion. Then it fits exactly.

either way ... it was fast.
That's because you don't understand it.

Every cell has a natural rate of mutation. Every cell literally means every cell. Your liver cells have a natural rate of mutation that is slightly different than the natural rate of mutation for bone cells which is different still from the natural rate of mutation lung cells which is different still than the various types of cells in mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, birds, fungus, plants and trees.

If we relied solely on the natural rate of mutation, then, yes, there wouldn't be much here except very simple life.

Fortunately, we had a helping hand from natural background radiation that coerced mutations to occur at much, much faster rates.

That natural background radiation comes from our Sun, other stars inside and outside of our galaxy, and radioactive elements on Earth.

The intensity of that natural background radiation has decreased over time, and will continue to decrease over time, but it will never be "0" REMs, because you cannot shield 100% of solar or stellar radiation.

Time-traveling to the far distant past on Earth would be stupid, because at one point, 20 minutes on Earth would be enough to kill you, but not other organisms.

What we have here, is your inability to wrap your brain around age of sexual maturity, gestation period, number of off-spring and the rapid rates of coerced mutation.

Having said that, I am willing to concede that Human Evolution appears to be an aberration.

In fact, I have repeatedly maintained that for a very, very long time. I am open to suggestions, but it does not require a god-thing to fill in the gaps.

Indeed, I find it more likely extra-terrestrials tinkered with Human DNA than any god-thing, and I'm not the first person to suggest that, because 1,000s of years ago some people actually claimed it was extra-terrestrials.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,393,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
"I 1000% do NOT believe in the Bible-god"

Nice hyperbole!

Several militant atheists on R&S have expressed something similar to this...

I'm interested to know how many atheists on R&S would convert to Christianity if they were somehow convinced it's true. Thoughts?

About as many Jews or Muslims. How many Christians would convert if Hindu or Islam was convinced in truth?

I certainly hope that the God most of the Christians on these forums follow is not true. A fair, loving, empathetic and honest God would be far more preferred.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's be honest. The atheism represented here has nothing to do with disbelief, or lack of belief. It has everything to do with a hatred and a militant opposition to anything religious, but specifically Christian.
As an atheist on this forum (sometimes) your description of atheists on this forum has nothing to do with either myself or the postings of other atheists on this forum. It speaks more of your hatred of those who are willing to argue with you. And your desire to have your country a theocracy to some extent.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The point is simple. A belief is a belief whether it is positive or negative. Atheists' attempt to recategorize their negative God belief as NOT a belief is sophistry and a disingenuous attempt to NOT have to defend their God belief. They want to consider it a fact by default.
I'm an atheist because I have yet to see or read any evidence for one that had sufficient evidence for its existence, it d9esnt matter how many times you repeat your claims or how big the words you use, lying about my atheism is dishonesty on your part. And yes not belief in in a supernatural being until you do believe in it is the default. Goes for Gods, fairies, ghosts, demons, 0ssessed cats 9r &F ( abductions,

I am more than willing to defend why i don't believe to any honest believer who is willing to listen to what I have to say but not to those who tell me what I think or feel and n9t listen to me. Guess that leaves you out.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:05 PM

64,189 posts, read 40,724,865 times
Quote:
Another perhaps taking my comments too seriously.
Just a kind suggestion, perhaps you should take your comments here more seriously. It's not as if you are armed with the absolute Truth, despite your Ten attempts at it.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:21 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,847,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Oh, I most certainly believe you, because the only reason x-tians aren't imprisoning, torturing, murdering and confiscating people's property is because they've been stripped of power by people just like me.

...as if NON-Christians haven't/don't imprison, torture, murder and confiscate people's property.

Ever occur to you that the people who CLAIM to be "Christians" who are/have done these things, AREN'T Christians? And that a REAL Christian wouldn't see them as a "Christian", and would NEVER approve of such acts?

If ONLY you had God's power or knowledge or wisdom, I doubt you'd be saying what you say...

Last edited by Mink57; 05-12-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,766,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
...as if NON-Christians haven't/don't imprison, torture, murder and confiscate people's property.

Ever occur to you that the people who CLAIM to be "Christians" who are/have done these things, AREN'T Christians? And that a REAL Christian wouldn't see them as a "Christian", and would NEVER approve of such acts?

If ONLY you had God's power or knowledge or wisdom, I doubt you'd be saying what you say...
Its really about personality types mink.

look up cluster -c. and keep in mind abuse.

How would and adult child of abuse and cluster-C's express a belief in a god and/or how would they express a belief for anti-god-atheism? list them and see if see them here. after you do that, how reliable are claims made by these people? I mean. sure, they get some of it right. But look at the price we pay for the nuggets of truth.

The problem is there is way more theist wack-a-doodles due to the fact that something else, not more deities is the most scientifically sound position to have. So its important that you guys police your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality