Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 10:52 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,763,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
A very articulate and persuasive person is not necessarily correct in what he thinks. That's why.
Right. Of course not, but that's not what I was getting at...

Considering what a person explains, whether articulate, persuasive or neither, is again not what's important anymore than the forum or source from where that explanation comes. What makes something worth our belief or trust is whether the argument is correct; supported by the facts, reason and logic that determines whether something is correct. Again no matter the forum or manner in which the argument is made as long as it is based on proper sound reason or logic. Otherwise, the belief is less likely to be correct objectively speaking.

We are all called upon to judge such argument (facts, reason and logic) as best we are able in any case, and then the chips fall where they may. Correct or not correct as we are obviously going to consider in our own personal ways for our own personal reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you are missing is that even IF we determine HOW everything works we will still not know WHAT it is or WHY.
Just me or does that make no sense at all? Perhaps some clarification is needed...

To put it another way, if man ultimately manages to figure out how everything works, including what it is and why, say like we did Earthquakes, is not the God exists because we don't understand rationale seriously undermined if not lost altogether?

You completely avoid the point in any case. If we're to believe in God because we don't understand what is going on around us, why continue scientific efforts to understand what is going on around us? Why waste the time if instead we're to assume we can't understand let alone that this is reason to claim a God exists?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're forgetting that the level of suffering in this world is so great that it turns a large percentage of people away from God. If God's purpose is to try to teach us something He sure chose a half-baked away to do it. I'd expect an entity with the ultimate wisdom of a God to find a way to teach us the things you mention without turning a significant portion of the world population into agnosticism, atheism, deism, pantheism and a whole variety of belief systems contrary to what He's expecting. His method, unless there is some kind of higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom, is so slipshod it begs the question, "What in the possible hell can He be thinking?" I can think of one possibility: we are on this earth not to experience happiness, but to experience misery and pain. This is the first step in some greater purpose for our eternal-long growth. That's all I can come up with that offers a satisfactory explanation for God's apparent total disinterest in our human condition. For example, why do 95% of all fatal diseases involve suffering ranging from mild to extreme? If God were merciful why couldn't it be the other way around? Why couldn't it be 95% quick painless death, 5% long painful suffering, then death?
Right now I am watching a documentary about Cornavirus. The docu stated there are about 1.5 million known viruses. Almost all of them cause some degree of painful fatality. Why? What's the logical reason God created these devil viruses? To torment us? Doesn't that make Him an evil God? Maybe we should just eliminate the word "logical" because there's nothing logical about it.
I think the easiest way to cope with all this is to push God completely out of our minds. Forget Him. Trying to figure all this out just gives some of us a big, fat headache and who needs more pain. Treat Him like He doesn't exist the same way He treats us like we don't exist. That's the easiest way to go about our lives: things are the way they are. No rhyme, no reason. Period. I know it sounds like atheism, but for me I still know He's out there. I just treat Him like an ex- who dumped me. Out of sight, out of mind, out of life.
I've heard it said that what doesn't kill us, God is curious to find out...

Maybe God is testing what works and what doesn't so She can get the next batch right.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The agreement is that we do not talk to each other or about each other. You are now talking about me more and more, against that agreement, and lying every time.

Either attempt to demonstrate where my arguments fail, or be quiet. This will save you time writing your rubbish, me reporting your rubbish, the admins deleting your rubbish, and everyone else from reading or scrolling past your usual rubbish.

Do not respond to this, but ask an admin to delete this post after you have read and understood it.
Are you saying there is rubbish being deleted even beyond what remains in these threads?!?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've been thinking about sharing for several days but my ability to articulate is somewhat challenged. And by the time I get home after work I am tired which doesn't help. But I plan on trying. I've found this thread to be rather thought provoking.
Please do. I've appreciated your contribution(s) to this thread as well...

Not sure what to make of you bothering with this thread after work when that sounds like the last thing I would do if I were still working, but maybe you need thought provoking even after work? Instead of a glass of wine?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have found that Discussion - either with the Voice in my head or with others, here, clarifieds vague ideas I have. By all means let's hear your ideas.

I have a few of my own based, really, on the idea that all our instincts are for survival and anything we so, art, music, literature, society, morals, authority and indeed, religion has that purpose, or we wouldn't have that instinct.

It was one of the most formative ideas in the old 'Matrix' thread (with me, Mystic phd and matrix) where it came out that religion was an evolved instinct, but its' purpose was to help us survive, not to tell us what is true.
So many theories. So little time.

Why We Believe What We Do...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...hat-we-do.html

Appreciate your contributions as well, because you make a point of backing up what you think or believe with information, explanation and/or justification that just about anyone can understand and accept as reasonable. Objectively speaking that is. Reasonable to people who think more like I do anyway...

Old 05-10-2020, 12:22 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
What you are missing is that even IF we determine HOW everything works we will still not know WHAT it is or WHY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Just me or does that make no sense at all? Perhaps some clarification is needed...
The difference is the scope of our perspective. You operate in a "separate things" perspective and I operate in a Oneness perspective. Even if we learn how everything within our Reality works, we still will not know What it IS or why it exists. That IS the central God issue.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-10-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 01:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,612,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

To put it another way, if man ultimately manages to figure out how everything works, including what it is and why, say like we did Earthquakes, is not the God exists because we don't understand rationale seriously undermined if not lost altogether?

You completely avoid the point in any case. If we're to believe in God because we don't understand what is going on around us, why continue scientific efforts to understand what is going on around us? Why waste the time if instead we're to assume we can't understand let alone that this is reason to claim a God exists?
I think a time frame is in order. I mean if how determines the why then we will learn it.

I don't understand why believing in god would stop us from trying to learn more? maybe that learning will help what we are calling god to change to something more realistic.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:59 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,958,838 times
Quote:
Ask yourself, thrill, what kind of environment would be necessary to foster a completely independent and self motivated conscious mind that understands the difference between good and evil, recognizes suffering and injustice, and prefers love?

That's easy to say, Mystic when you're not one of the people suffering. If you had ALS or MS or Huntington's or any one of a 100 other degenerative diseases I wonder if you'd be singing a different tune.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,612,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's easy to say, Mystic when you're not one of the people suffering. If you had ALS or MS or Huntington's or any one of a 100 other degenerative diseases I wonder if you'd be singing a different tune.
you have a point.

is their view any more or less skewed because of their position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality