Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 08:27 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Does your compassion motivate you to be of service to those who are less fortunate, or are your comments simply virtue signaling?
Even if they were, they would still be valid comment, Iwas. Your point is of course merely an ad hom. fallacy. A Theistic favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Mystic, you're turning into another one of these "apologist extraordinaires" that litter this board who try to whitewash God of any and all responsibility down here for the mess He created, perpetuates and frankly completely ignores. You're no doubt terrified of the thought of standing in front of God on judgment day and having Him ask you, "Why didn't you defend My good name when that idiot Thrillobyte called me out on My ineptitude?"
"I need money up front, before I endorse anybody" ought to be good enough excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,986,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is not that kind of encounter where questions were needed. I have said many times, it cannot be described verbally. You know, my efforts to disabuse you of your misunderstanding of God and our current Reality are just trying to alleviate your spiritual pain. Your angst and state of mind over the evil that exists is evidence that you have achieved the kind of Spirit that we are supposed to achieve. God feels the same about it as you do. and that's the point. I am willing to bet that when you are reborn as Spirit, you will have no questions at all about what occurred in this carnal existence. See you there, my brother.
You know, Mystic I know that deep down in your heart you're a good person. Nobody with your intelligence at the advanced of 80 can be bad or mean-spirited. It's hard to determine who has the misunderstanding of God, you or me, because God is AWOL. He might talk to you but He doesn't say boo to me or any other skeptic around here.

I want to disabuse you of this notion I am in angst or pain about God. I couldn't care less about God; He has no place in my life anymore. If I have angst it is over the intolerable hypocrisy the Christian hierarchy practices in brainwashing children with rubbish like "Jesus loves me, this I know"--children who are safe and sound with their loving parents in church and who have never known a moment of abuse, while their peers in not so loving homes--that's putting it mildly--are regularly being sold to traffickers who force them into the most evil corruption imaginable. In a pig's eye Jesus loves them!

You may be wondering--yes, I was abused by an alcoholic father as a child and so I have a particular empathy for these poor little unfortunates. Sadly, I am too old and feeble myself to do anything to help stop it. I have to stop myself from cursing God for His own total, absolute disinterest in what happens to little children while the Christian mob desperately attempts to paint God as some kind of loving Father who looks after His children. I have to remind myself that there's no point in cursing God because He couldn't care less about any of us, though I find it appalling that a human being like myself has more compassion his little pinkie for abused kids than God demonstrates in His entire being.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-11-2020 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,362,102 times
Quote:
The God I met and the one revealed and demonstrated by Jesus needs no defense against your human-derived expectations. I certainly have no fear of standing before Him. Our task here has nothing to do with our carnal existence and everything to do with our spiritual existence. We have Dominion here and it is our responses to our carnal existence that form the character of our spiritual existence. Carnality is the prison and our animal drives are the warden we need to escape from.
Does it seem odd that God would so imprison us? Why would God do that?

Old 05-11-2020, 11:59 PM

63,999 posts, read 40,299,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Does it seem odd that God would so imprison us? Why would God do that?
God didn't. This physical Reality is the spiritual soil into which the seed of our consciousness (embryo Spirit) is planted at our birth. It's growth and development is fostered by the physical experiences that shape its character.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:22 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,040,874 times
Quote:
The God I met and the one revealed and demonstrated by Jesus needs no defense against your human-derived expectations. I certainly have no fear of standing before Him. Our task here has nothing to do with our carnal existence and everything to do with our spiritual existence. We have Dominion here and it is our responses to our carnal existence that form the character of our spiritual existence. Carnality is the prison and our animal drives are the warden we need to escape from.
So innocent people suffer so that they can develop a strong spiritual character, yet your god is agape love?

Old 05-12-2020, 01:25 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,040,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Does your compassion motivate you to be of service to those who are less fortunate, or are your comments simply virtue signaling?
You think Thrillobyte has a red cape and wears his underpants on the outside?

And why are you avoiding the question, as it applies to your idea of your version of your god?

Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 AM

4,642 posts, read 1,810,374 times
Quote:
You know, Mystic I know that deep down in your heart you're a good person. Nobody with your intelligence at the advanced of 80 can be bad or mean-spirited. It's hard to determine who has the misunderstanding of God, you or me, because God is AWOL. He might talk to you but He doesn't say boo to me or any other skeptic around here.
I could say a lot about what you wrote here. But for the purposes of saving time, let's just summarize by saying this: There are plenty of 80+ year old's who are 'mean spirited'.

And, one reason why you may believe that God doesn't say 'boo' to you or other skeptics, is because you may not be listening. Sometimes, I think that people expect God to reveal Himself in a huge BOOMING voice or some extraordinary manner. Meanwhile, quite often, He 'speaks' in a very calm, controlled, yet powerful 'voice'.

Quote:
I want to disabuse you of this notion I am in angst or pain about God. I couldn't care less about God; He has no place in my life anymore. If I have angst it is over the intolerable hypocrisy the Christian hierarchy practices in brainwashing children with rubbish like "Jesus loves me, this I know"--children who are safe and sound with their loving parents in church and who have never known a moment of abuse, while their peers in not so loving homes--that's putting it mildly--are regularly being sold to traffickers who force them into the most evil corruption imaginable. In a pig's eye Jesus loves them!
Human trafficking is one of my own 'pet peeves' about this world, too. But the difference between you and me, is in what you wrote on this thread a few day ago:

Quote:
His method, unless there is some kind of higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom, is so slipshod it begs the question, "What in the possible hell can He be thinking?" I can think of one possibility: we are on this earth not to experience happiness, but to experience misery and pain. This is the first step in some greater purpose for our eternal-long growth. That's all I can come up with that offers a satisfactory explanation for God's apparent total disinterest in our human condition.
What I bolded, I bolded because IMO, it's one of the most profound statements you made about God, thus far. After all, what IF there IS some "higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom?" If that last statement is true...if what you yourself said, that there's a possibility that there's a reason for these things to happen that we "cannot begin to fathom", then why do you continue to believe that God is some 'evil monster'? Why would you judge God without exploring the possibility of that "higher purpose"?

Quote:
You may be wondering--yes, I was abused by an alcoholic father as a child and so I have a particular empathy for these poor little unfortunates. Sadly, I am too old and feeble myself to do anything to help stop it. I have to stop myself from cursing God for His own total, absolute disinterest in what happens to little children while the Christian mob desperately attempts to paint God as some kind of loving Father who looks after His children. I have to remind myself that there's no point in cursing God because He couldn't care less about any of us, though I find it appalling that a human being like myself has more compassion his little pinkie for abused kids than God demonstrates in His entire being.
I think many have suffered at the hands of an abuser....alcoholic, drug addicted or not...myself included. You claim that you're "too old and feeble" to do anything to help stop it. Sorry thrill...but I don't believe that's true. You obviously have the internet at your fingertips. You have your own experiences to offer to others, in such a way, that can encourage others. You're obviously a pretty good writer, as in, you are articulate. Even if you don't believe that God gave you these 'talents', you can still have them, and you can use them to benefit others.

Maybe what God's trying to tell you is to give yourself a break...so you can help someone else.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
Quote:

This I get. I hate to even say, I haven't met one anti-god person that didn't have something happen to them or somebody every close to them.

but what about people like me thrill? that haven't suffered quite as bad? all we are talking about is how the universe works in relation to what god may or may not be?

and we get a lot of resistance from anti-god based on something else, something other than just how the universe works? What do we do?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,362,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
This I get. I hate to even say, I haven't met one anti-god person that didn't have something happen to them or somebody every close to them.

but what about people like me thrill? that haven't suffered quite as bad? all we are talking about is how the universe works in relation to what god may or may not be?

and we get a lot of resistance from anti-god based on something else, something other than just how the universe works? What do we do?
I haven't followed this thread or this section of the forum much. Hardly at all. So I don't know your conception of God or religion. The concept of God I was exposed to didn't seem evil to me, so much as all too human. Jealous, ego driven, and sometimes petulant. All knowing and yet willing to conduct an exercise he knows the result of, an experiment he knows the answer to, making the suffering that occurs along the way gratuitous.

I'm not angry at God, so much as tired of him. If a 10 year old answered an important question with, "I have reasons but I can't or won't tell you what they are", I'd give him some time and motivation to prompt a better answer. If there is a God, isn't it time for him to stop this childish game of hide and seek and to confess his inadequacy and take responsibility for his choices. Human trafficking has been mentioned as one of God's "mysterious ways". How about pediatric oncology, ALS, or Dachau? I think I can still hear the sorrow there. Can he?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:50 AM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I haven't followed this thread or this section of the forum much. Hardly at all. So I don't know your conception of God or religion. The concept of God I was exposed to didn't seem evil to me, so much as all too human. Jealous, ego driven, and sometimes petulant. All knowing and yet willing to conduct an exercise he knows the result of, an experiment he knows the answer to, making the suffering that occurs along the way gratuitous.

I'm not angry at God, so much as tired of him. If a 10 year old answered an important question with, "I have reasons but I can't or won't tell you what they are", I'd give him some time and motivation to prompt a better answer. If there is a God, isn't it time for him to stop this childish game of hide and seek and to confess his inadequacy and take responsibility for his choices. Human trafficking has been mentioned as one of God's "mysterious ways". How about pediatric oncology, ALS, or Dachau? I think I can still hear the sorrow there. Can he?
Very much agreed. And I'd add that he ought to improve his communication skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality