Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 AM

29,554 posts, read 9,748,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think a time frame is in order. I mean if how determines the why then we will learn it.

I don't understand why believing in god would stop us from trying to learn more? maybe that learning will help what we are calling god to change to something more realistic.
Maybe it's more like how believing in god is not helping us to learn more...

Either way, how about we believe in what we have learned to be the universal truth for all concerned and admit the rest is an application of our imagination. Nothing more and nothing less other than as we all wish to believe on a personal level? Why is that so impossible or difficult for some people I wonder...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-11-2020 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's easy to say, Mystic when you're not one of the people suffering. If you had ALS or MS or Huntington's or any one of a 100 other degenerative diseases I wonder if you'd be singing a different tune.
My father suffered from Alzheimer's for three years before he passed, and our family all suffered those three years along with him...

Problem either way, however, when emotions about such things cloud our understanding about what causes such things, we're on the wrong path if truth is where we want to go. Truth doesn't care whether you have suffered or not, whether you are happy or not, how you feel at all...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-11-2020 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. If it were not for three aspects to posting here (fun, value, learning and message) I might have gone long ago. While Theists (and others) might not understand what I get out of it, I do, though I have doubts at times (no, not atheist doubts , sorry, god - botherers, put away your tracts). While we may disagree on the case for a possible non -religion -specific - Creator (and there is a case, I have never denied; Dawkins has never denied it) we agree on the problems that the world as it wags raises in respect of an intervening god.

Theists know this very well, because they have two notebooks, a Blue onre and a Red one. One contains "Evidence" of god's intervention (I won't give examples as I'm having lunch), and the Red one contains the excuses for when such intervention (when badly needed) is not forthcoming.
Yes, if not for the fun I would have no doubt left long ago as well...

Part of that fun I have to admit is the art of debating, making a case, justifying opinion. Conjuring up old memories that still haunt me about how much I thought about becoming a lawyer and almost did. Some of the fun I get from this forum is making those arguments and seeing how others make theirs. Wouldn't it be fun if there was a panel of debate experts or truth monitors that could rate how we all do in those respects? Now that would be fun!

Or would it? Instead we have the court of forum opinion in any case. Such as it is...

Not sure what to make of arguments based on what God thinks or does because what anyone might guess God is thinking or doing is pretty hard to evaluate in the context of what makes for a sound argument. As such, it's very hard to consider points of view based on such argument. Very hard objectively speaking. To say the least...

Old 05-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Okay, this is the best laugh I've had on City Data today. You get a rep
I just can't wrap my head around there being any kind of after life after your brain ceases to function and you no longer have a vehicle to process a conscious thought. No amount of spin and magical thinking has been able to convince me otherwise yet. Besides, who wants to spend eternity bowing to a dictator.
That's one of the most soulless comments I've read in this forum in a long while.

Not sure it doesn't deserve a rep, but I know at least a few people commenting in this thread that don't think so...

Old 05-11-2020, 12:05 PM

50,901 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
That's one of the most soulless comments I've read in this forum in a long while.

Not sure it doesn't deserve a rep, but I know at least a few people commenting in this thread that don't think so...
Again, I don't understand this post today, either.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
Maybe it's more like how believing in god is not helping us to learn more...

Either way, how about we believe in what we have learned to be the universal truth for all concerned and admit the rest is an application of our imagination. Nothing more and nothing less other than as we all wish to believe on a personal level? Why is that so impossible or difficult for some people I wonder...
Yeah, I see that. I would be careful generalizing the " ... what we have learned to be the universal truth for all concerned ...". But I see your point.

also, application of imagination got us E=MC^2. I think what you really mean is find a way to determine how we can make sure we have reached too far. I mean its clear, with people here at cd, some very basic notions are so unknown to them they are basically unreliable in making predictions in calling things reasonable or not.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My father suffered from Alzheimer's for three years before he passed, and our family all suffered those three years along with him...

Problem either way, however, when emotions about such things cloud our understanding about what causes such things, we're on the wrong path if truth is where we want to go. Truth doesn't care whether you have suffered or not, whether you are happy or not, how you feel at all...
exactly ... how the universe works doesn't care about god. yes or no it works the way it works.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Again, I don't understand this post today, either.
Really? I am failing today even more than usual!

animalcrazy's comment was about how difficult it is to understand there being any kind of after life after your brain ceases to function. No vehicle to process a conscious thought...

First question that came to my mind, putting myself in the shoes of a religious person, is what about the soul?!?

Ergo a soulless comment!

Get it?

No doubt past time for me to give up and sign off now. I'll try to do better tomorrow...

Old 05-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yeah, I see that. I would be careful generalizing the " ... what we have learned to be the universal truth for all concerned ...". But I see your point.

also, application of imagination got us E=MC^2. I think what you really mean is find a way to determine how we can make sure we have reached too far. I mean its clear, with people here at cd, some very basic notions are so unknown to them they are basically unreliable in making predictions in calling things reasonable or not.
May I simply refer you back to my Ten Truths where all this including the application of imagination is covered in some detail? Needing to sign off now, so just in case you're interested in my response. Until I get back...

Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
May I simply refer you back to my Ten Truths where all this including the application of imagination is covered in some detail? Needing to sign off now, so just in case you're interested in my response. Until I get back...
No need to read the commandments for me. I am sure the clarification would be rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality