Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 04:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So again I ask -- you are and other "believers" tossing the OT in the trash?
any rational believer tosses out the parts that don't make sense and keeps the parts that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 04:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
any rational believer tosses out the parts that don't
make sense and keeps the parts that do.
I second that.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:56 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
any rational believer tosses out the parts that don't make sense and keeps the parts that do.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Cherry-picking, as most call it, involves discerning what
is inspiration and what is human ignorance, agenda, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding.
I second that.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:22 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No. And a question for you... What does it mean to you to " live the life God wants you to live" if not to love others?
Christians are commanded to love God (of the Bible) with all their heart and mind, and also to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Quote:
I mean that I have experienced people treating me with love. I also mean that there are times when a person says something or does something not even intended for me, but that I witness and speaks to something in my own life, that lets me know that God is present and active.
OK, thanks for explaining.

Quote:
I assume that there are mechanisms at work in our reality that have yet to be discovered or explained. Is that what you mean?
Do you believe there is more to reality than the material world? (examples: soul, consciousness, after-life, reincarnation, spirits, angels, devil, witchcraft, ghosts, psychic abilities, astral projection, etc)

Old 04-30-2020, 06:40 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Incontrovertible! But not true of the God revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus.
I see you are still using the word “unambiguously†wrong.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Christians are commanded to love God (of the Bible) with all their heart and mind, and also to love our neighbor as ourselves.

You mistake bullying for love.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Needless to say there are many ways to go about learning; from mistakes, from hardship, from success, from pain and hardship. From others and on and on...

"We don't change because we see the light. We change because we feel the heat."

May we all become as enlightened as we are able with as little suffering as possible, but also while knowing that suffering is inevitable.
Agree re: learning; that said, education is the key to knowledge/awareness (and the answer in re: 'human suffering'). It's certainly not 'enlightenment' or any spiritual belief nor is there 'all good/god' or 'all evil/satan'.

That said, rejecting an 'evil god' due to suffering is akin to rejecting Santa because he didn't bring you what you wanted for Christmas. How about simply, there is no god nor Santa; we're on our own to navigate the world (and provide for our own holidays).

Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Christians are commanded to love God (of the Bible)
Love cannot be commanded. That is preposterous. Christians are asked to love the God of Jesus the Christ not the Bible.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Thanks for explaining.

Do you remember who were the worst examples of Christian posters using those terms to bash atheists?
I can remember Kidbrick from way back when - he may even be around under a different name, and But I can't swear it was him. And the names escape me now. But I do recall that the term 'Darwinist pondslime' was particularly associated with the evolution debate when it was still freely permitted - until quite recently.

The Hitler accusation was pretty frequent, too... and we used to post

'Three inevitable things: death, taxes and Josephus, Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny, Thallia, Bar-serapeon...'

Since that apologetic (extra Biblical historians attest to Jesus) popped up every other page.

Great days they were, Campbell 34 and his Ark -threads. We don't get the Ark (s) ) at all now, since they got their fingers burned over the Nami Scami ..we shall not see their like again

Now where are my pipe and slippers...and where did I put my coffee....mumble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality