Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,429,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
What is your specific worldview or religion?

Have you already shared details of how you arrived at your current worldview? Please link to it if you have.
In a nutshell, it's what I already said.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo
Every person on this planet, Christian and non-Christian alike, is a mixed bag.... God's love has flowed to me through Christians, for sure. It's also flowed to me through countless non-Christians and atheists. So, yeah, everyone is chosen, just some people walk more consistently in love than others.
I'll further add to this, the biggest blessing of being in harmony with what I believe that which is worth being called God is [straight from the pages of the bible: LOVE], is that we enjoy the experience of God flowing through us to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 03:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 869,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Awesome response, Pleroo. Not that I am surprised by it. You are a precious daughter of our True God, IMO.
Re: "our True God"

I realize you believe in a pantheistic concept of god. Do you practice intense meditation? Have you had spiritual experiences during meditation?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
[ Honest..secretly I suspect that a lot of atheists suspect that they would, too, but for cripes' sake, don't tell the Christian apologists.a
LOL. Well, Trans, I'd guess the odds that you (or I) would ever [again, in my case] be convinced that version of God exists are pretty darn low.

Quote:
I am sure that we can Agree to Differ on that one. Or maybe not, if we replace God with 'Human interests'..
We can agree to disagree, of course.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:09 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
When you say "I'm sure the God of the Bible does not exist", it's just hyperbole?
Nope. I am pretty confident that the god described in the Bible does not exist.

Quote:
Hyperbole: "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally"

You do concede that the God of the Bible might exist, but you use exaggerated statements (i.e. "does not exist", "so sure") to express a high confidence level in your conclusion, but not certainty?
I would even say 'might exist' is being too positive; rather it is a technical logical point that Absolute certainly can't logically be claimed. i can't offer much support to a suggestion that atheists concede that Biblegod might be possible.

I had an idea that the god referred to in the Bible ,but not being much Like the god in the Bible, might be more possible, but I can't easily see how.

So the only 5% possibility of a god is one that is not a god of any religion. And even then I think it is really quite improbable.

I might also pick up on another point I saw: it is pointless to ask what would convince me (in a rational, evidence -based way) that the Bible and Christianity was true. I have said a couple of times that it is too late to ask such a question; the case for Christianity has collapsed and (for me) Humpty simply cannot be put back together again.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In a nutshell, it's what I already said.:

Quote:
Every person on this planet, Christian and non-Christian alike, is a mixed bag.... God's love has flowed to me through Christians, for sure. It's also flowed to me through countless non-Christians and atheists. So, yeah, everyone is chosen, just some people walk more consistently in love than others.
I'll further add to this, the biggest blessing of being in harmony with what I believe that which is worth being called God is [straight from the pages of the bible: LOVE], is that we enjoy the experience of God flowing through us to others.
3 more questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you own any tie-dye shirts? You sound like a hippy.

2. When you say 'God's love flowing to me' is this implying you experience any sensations (or thoughts/info) or are you just referring to a belief you hold?

3. Do you believe in any paranormal or supernatural phenomena?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,221,794 times
Quote:
Are you referring to Jesus being the only way to the Father, or the behavior of particular Christians acting "special"?
If Jesus is Yahweh is Jesus then why can't one worship Yahweh exclusively?

Or, are you suggesting the Father is someone other than Yahweh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Most Christians don't know Yahweh originally was a Sumerian god, one of a pantheon of Sumerian gods and had a wife, Asherah when the Hebrews were a sub-culture of the Sumerian empire and were worshiping all their gods, including the chief god, El.
I'm not seeing where Hebrews were a sub-culture.

Ninurta was the Sumerian god. His Akkadian name was El Shaddai. His principle city in the Kingdom of Akkad was Ur, where he had his temple.

Terah, the father of Abram and Serai, was a priest at that temple, probably the chief priest.

When Terah, Abram and Serai go to Haran, that is the principle city of Ninurta in the Hurrian Kingdom, except his name in the Hurrian language was Teshub.

Abram and Serai who are half-siblings, leave and go elsewhere, apparently leaving Terah in Haran.

They end up living in the small towns of Sheckem and Israel in Canaanite lands.

From that point on was the wholesale adoption of Canaanite culture.

Note that Jacob goes to Haran to take wives. Although the texts do not explicitly so state, it's more likely because Terah and other family members remained in Haran.

Leah and Rachel would have been Jacob's 2nd or 3rd cousins, maybe even 1st cousins, because that was perfectly acceptable at the time, just as marrying your half-sister was acceptable.

Now, that was a Sumerian/Akkadian custom, because the goal was to produce "pure seeds" and you can only do that by marrying half-siblings and cousins.

While your quote refers to Manasseh, it was Solomon who built a temple to Ashera (and 3 other gods) which was in use for a couple of centuries until I think it was King Hezekiah who finally tore them down.

The inability of x-tians to accept that speaks poorly of them.

Quote:
There are some fundamental flaws in your logic. Claiming certainty is irrational.
Yahweh says there are other gods. Are you calling Yahweh a liar?

If Yahweh is a liar, then how can we believe anything he says?

And since Yahweh is Jesus is Yahweh is Casper the Friendly Ghost, how can we believe anything Jesus says?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Such a thread might even be more appropriate to A/A. But maybe the atheists would just say 'Keep wishing - we are not here to comply with your preferences'. So maybe such a thread in R/S would get more participants, especially from atheist -bashers. But go for it, by all means.

The three favorite (sorry, Raffa ) expressions:
Goddless bastards,
Satanic hellspawn
Darwinist pondslime.

Were coined long ago when such terms were frequently used by Christian posters to wound and abuse disbelievers. Whether or not using the terms ourselves took the puff out of th e Theiopologetic sails I don't know. But, as you say, we don't hear it so much, these days.
Thanks for explaining.

Do you remember who were the worst examples of Christian posters using those terms to bash atheists?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
3 more questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you own any tie-dye shirts? You sound like a hippy.
No. And a question for you... What does it mean to you to " live the life God wants you to live" if not to love others?

Quote:

2. When you say 'God's love flowing to me' is this implying you experience any sensations (or thoughts/info) or are you just referring to a belief you hold?
I mean that I have experienced people treating me with love. I also mean that there are times when a person says something or does something not even intended for me, but that I witness and speaks to something in my own life, that lets me know that God is present and active.

Quote:
3. Do you believe in any paranormal or supernatural phenomena?

I assume that there are mechanisms at work in our reality that have yet to be discovered or explained. Is that what you mean?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:47 PM

51,041 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Incontrovertible! But not true of the God revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus.
So again I ask -- you are and other "believers" tossing the OT in the trash?

Old 04-30-2020, 04:03 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So again I ask -- you are and other "believers" tossing the OT in the trash?
I'm not because it contains inspirations that tell us of Jesus and His impact on belief in God. Cherry-picking, as most call it, involves discerning what is inspiration and what is human ignorance, agenda, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality