Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 05:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's be honest. The atheism represented here has nothing to do with disbelief, or lack of belief. It has everything to do with a hatred and a militant opposition to anything religious, but specifically Christian.
to be honest, if we look at their personality types and ask ourselves "how would those types of people express theism?" What would the answer look like?

and what do we do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:25 PM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
...as if NON-Christians haven't/don't imprison, torture, murder and confiscate people's property.

Ever occur to you that the people who CLAIM to be "Christians" who are/have done these things, AREN'T Christians? And that a REAL Christian wouldn't see them as a "Christian", and would NEVER approve of such acts?

If ONLY you had God's power or knowledge or wisdom, I doubt you'd be saying what you say...
When I was a principal, one day a small group of students came to me to complain about a particular physical education teacher. And, when you were a physical education teacher in our system, you also had to teach health and sex ed.

The small group of girls that came to my office to complain about the female PE teachers were there under false pretenses. They were complaining about the teacher because they were angry at her. But it was a bit difficult to argue their logic: "How can she teach physical education when she's grossly fat? How can she teach health when she's physically dirty." And so on.

I never understood how I had colleagues, whether teachers or fellow administrators, who were supposed to value learning, who themselves didn't want to learn.

So yes, non-christians do all the bad things, too. But non-christians are not claiming that they follow christ.

My point is not that anyone is perfect, including myself.

But if you're going to be a physical education teacher, you ought to sort of exemplify the importance of health and physical fitness. Set the example.

If you're going to be an educator, you ought to exemplify the concept that learning is worthwhile.

And if you're going to proclaim that you're a christian, then you ought to exemplify the principles that supposedly were exemplified by the figure you claim you literally worship.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,797,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its really about personality types mink.

look up cluster -c. and keep in mind abuse.

How would and adult child of abuse and cluster-C's express a belief in a god and/or how would they express a belief for anti-god-atheism? list them and see if see them here. after you do that, how reliable are claims made by these people? I mean. sure, they get some of it right. But look at the price we pay for the nuggets of truth.

The problem is there is way more theist wack-a-doodles due to the fact that something else, not more deities is the most scientifically sound position to have. So its important that you guys police your own.
hmm...Not sure if I agree with you this time, Arach. Believe me, I understand what "abuse" is. Physical, mental and sexual. BTDT. And while God may not have been there for me (….or, so I thought) during the abuse, He was certainly there for me after the fact...

Seems that a LOT of 'good things' started happening for me once I forgave my abusers.

In my eyes, my abusers will "get theirs". I've been able to see, in some circumstances, where my abusers were...um..."put asunder". They will get theirs either in THIS life or the next.

I have faith in that...

Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I was a principal, one day a small group of students came to me to complain about a particular physical education teacher. And, when you were a physical education teacher in our system, you also had to teach health and sex ed.

The small group of girls that came to my office to complain about the female PE teachers were there under false pretenses. They were complaining about the teacher because they were angry at her. But it was a bit difficult to argue their logic: "How can she teach physical education when she's grossly fat? How can she teach health when she's physically dirty." And so on.

I never understood how I had colleagues, whether teachers or fellow administrators, who were supposed to value learning, who themselves didn't want to learn.

So yes, non-christians do all the bad things, too. But non-christians are not claiming that they follow christ.

But if you're going to be a physical education teacher, you ought to sort of exemplify the importance of health and physical fitness. Set the example.

If you're going to be an educator, you ought to exemplify the concept that learning is worthwhile.

And if you're going to proclaim that you're a christian, then you ought to exemplify the principles that supposedly were exemplified by the figure you claim you literally worship.
wow, if this doesn't show just how different we are are.

There are top fit gym teachers all over the place that make it look easy. And some of the students feel unworthy. With a struggling teacher, that might just help a student. If they see that teacher keep digging and take the side comments, day after day, the student might just think "so can I. Maybe its not just me, I am not alone. Its not that I am a total worthless failure."

I bet the students picked up on how you spoke to that teacher. good lesson that was I bet.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 05-12-2020 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
hmm...Not sure if I agree with you this time, Arach. Believe me, I understand what "abuse" is. Physical, mental and sexual. BTDT. And while God may not have been there for me (….or, so I thought) during the abuse, He was certainly there for me after the fact...

Seems that a LOT of 'good things' started happening for me once I forgave my abusers.

In my eyes, my abusers will "get theirs". I've been able to see, in some circumstances, where my abusers were...um..."put asunder". They will get theirs either in THIS life or the next.

I have faith in that...
so you know. I am sorry for how this sounds. You grabbed onto that deity like they grab on to anti-god. you guys are grabbing onto your statements of belief about god for the exact same reasons.

A serous traumatic event in ones life.

people like me, that are just in the middle, really are focused more on how the universe works to form a belief. so I get cough in the middle?

we want freedom of religion. whats funny is that atheist seem to understand what that means more than theist do. Not the militant atheist, forget them for now. they do not represent most of us.

I don't see a deity. But clearly there is something else, all the science is pointing that way.

I get stuck in between the two sides? what can you offer me in the way of some help?

again, my apologies. I have to say it, and I am not happy about saying it. not at all.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,797,247 times
Quote:

O.k. I understand where you're coming from, phet. Yes, as a teacher, you're held to a 'higher' standard. Same with Christians.

But in BOTH case, there are examples of those who fail...BIG time. The teacher who has a sexual affair with a student....the priest who sexually molests a 14 year old boy....

...Is that any reason to throw out the 'baby with the bathwater'?

I claim to be Christian...Catholic, for that matter. But I DON'T claim to be perfect. You and a whole bunch of others seem to think that if *we* say we're "Christian", it MEANS that we're "prefect". And that's not even close to the truth...

Being a Christian means that we TRY to follow the examples set by Christ. TRY is the keyword. Do we fail....often? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that we don't have FAITH. We WANT to follow in Christ's footsteps, knowing fully well, that we probably won't be able to, on this planet..

In God's eyes, I think that educators should be "perfect", just the same as priests should be "perfect"...and mothers and fathers should be "perfect".

But "perfect" is in HIS eyes....not ours.....and I think, THAT'S the difference.....

Old 05-12-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
wow, if this doesn't show just how different we are are.

There are top fit gym teachers all over the place that make it look easy. And some of the students feel unworthy. With a struggling teacher, that might just help a student. If they see that teacher keep digging and take the side comments, day after day, the student might just think "so can I. Maybe its not just me, I am not alone. Its not that I am a total worthless failure."

I bet the students picked up on how you spoke to that teacher. good lesson that was I bet.
How do you know how I talked to that teacher? To be honest, I had little contact with her. And what has that got to do with the actual point of the post?

Old 05-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
How do you know how I talked to that teacher? To be honest, I had little contact with her. And what has that got to do with the actual point of the post?
it has to do with how you judge a hole group of people lesser than you. Just reword your position and call it square.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
it has to do with how you judge a hole group of people lesser than you. Just reword your position and call it square.
"lesser" than me?
who was "lesser" than me?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:24 PM

1,757 posts, read 758,927 times
Quote:

To err is human. All humans err. Don't blame someone for being human, but rather encourage and build them up to love and serve others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality