Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:34 AM

29,754 posts, read 9,923,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Oh, I most certainly believe you, because the only reason x-tians aren't imprisoning, torturing, murdering and confiscating people's property is because they've been stripped of power by people just like me.
That's harsh...

I first thought you were going to agree God has NO PROBLEM with ANYONE who tries to spread His message, because there's no evidence of God to begin with. Hard for nothing there to have a problem with anything...

Then I kept reading the rest of your comment, and ouch!

Not sure they've been stripped of power like you think however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 09:35 AM

18,269 posts, read 17,083,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
If you're waiting for god or magic to step in against evil tho........your life is never going to be better.......

There are basically two kinds of people around here: those who were Christian or some other theism and one day they had a lightbulb go on over their head, "Hey, I just realized God isn't doing squat for me so why do I even need Him?" That was me. Then there are the zealots who stick with God no matter how much nothing He does for them.

The funny part of it is the Christians say we're in the dark and we say the Christians are in the dark. But the only people I know of who are in the dark are the people who didn't have that proverbial lightbulb go on over their head. Kind of funny in an ironic sort of way, dontcha think?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing you haven't read the text.

Would you like to know what you're going to be doing in this hellish after-life?

You're going to put on a white tupa and bow and sing, "Holy, Holy is the Lamb!" for all eternity.

And here you mistakenly thought you'd get to travel around the Universe viewing wonders, satiating desires both subtle and gross, and gaining an understanding.
I'm guessing you didn't read my comment #948.

You're beginning to slip a little. Not like you...

Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
About as many Jews or Muslims. How many Christians would convert if Hindu or Islam was convinced in truth?

I certainly hope that the God most of the Christians on these forums follow is not true. A fair, loving, empathetic and honest God would be far more preferred.
It's very interesting to learn the history of how these religions took over certain parts of the world back-and-forth since the beginning and what influence that had on conversion, society and culture over time as well. A history I am forever feeling most Christians and/or religious folks know little-to-nothing about...

Old 05-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just a kind suggestion, perhaps you should take your comments here more seriously. It's not as if you are armed with the absolute Truth, despite your Ten attempts at it.
Duly noted, but I'm more interested in comments with some teeth, substance, depth, rather than your ongoing general wet blanket attempts at promoting what you think instead. If you don't agree with one or more of my Ten Truths, why not let be known which ones and why? Specifically. Just another kind suggestion if you will...

Old 05-13-2020, 09:45 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,665,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There are basically two kinds of people around here: those who were Christian or some other theism and one day they had a lightbulb go on over their head, "Hey, I just realized God isn't doing squat for me so why do I even need Him?" That was me. Then there are the zealots who stick with God no matter how much nothing He does for them.

The funny part of it is the Christians say we're in the dark and we say the Christians are in the dark. But the only people I know of who are in the dark are the people who didn't have that proverbial lightbulb go on over their head. Kind of funny in an ironic sort of way, dontcha think?

Ok...so do you believe in god or don't you????

I'm in my 30s & grew up near Los Angeles....& most people I know didn't grow up believing in a god & we never had to have that light bulb moment.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to be honest, if we look at their personality types and ask ourselves "how would those types of people express theism?" What would the answer look like?

and what do we do about it?
You know what mine look like, but please don't call them commandments. All I ask. Okay AA?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I was a principal, one day a small group of students came to me to complain about a particular physical education teacher. And, when you were a physical education teacher in our system, you also had to teach health and sex ed.

The small group of girls that came to my office to complain about the female PE teachers were there under false pretenses. They were complaining about the teacher because they were angry at her. But it was a bit difficult to argue their logic: "How can she teach physical education when she's grossly fat? How can she teach health when she's physically dirty." And so on.

I never understood how I had colleagues, whether teachers or fellow administrators, who were supposed to value learning, who themselves didn't want to learn.

So yes, non-christians do all the bad things, too. But non-christians are not claiming that they follow christ.

My point is not that anyone is perfect, including myself.

But if you're going to be a physical education teacher, you ought to sort of exemplify the importance of health and physical fitness. Set the example.

If you're going to be an educator, you ought to exemplify the concept that learning is worthwhile.

And if you're going to proclaim that you're a christian, then you ought to exemplify the principles that supposedly were exemplified by the figure you claim you literally worship.
Ought to, but...

Reminds me of nurses who are obese or even smoke. Unfortunately we are not all as we ought to be far as others are concerned and this too is for all variety of reasons not always too easy to understand, accept or correct, if in fact correction is appropriate all considered. Who is to judge?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,728,054 times
Quote:
What I'm hearing is your god is too cowardly to stand before his accusers.

I'm guessing you haven't read the text.

Would you like to know what you're going to be doing in this hellish after-life?

You're going to put on a white tupa and bow and sing, "Holy, Holy is the Lamb!" for all eternity.

And here you mistakenly thought you'd get to travel around the Universe viewing wonders, satiating desires both subtle and gross, and gaining an understanding.

Fat chance of that.

So you say, based entirely on your ethnocentric view.

If only every prior existing organism had to wait 13 years to reach sexual maturity and then produced one off-spring, you might actually be onto something.

The astute observer would have noted that the less complex an organism is, the faster it reaches sexual maturity, the shorter the gestation period, and the more off-spring it produces.

As organisms become more complex, it takes longer to reach sexual maturity, the gestation period is longer, and fewer off-spring are produced.

Yes, the average human life-span was 35 years, but the median age was actually 58 years.

There are bacteria that reproduce every 4 minutes. That's 7,621,200 generations.

A green-eyed fly every 24 hours, or 21,170 generations.

See how that works?

I neither stated nor implied any such thing. We are, after all, talking about Earth. Conditions on other planets would be different, unless one happened to be exactly like Earth in every way, shape and form.

Yes, because mutations happen.

That's because you don't understand it.

Every cell has a natural rate of mutation. Every cell literally means every cell. Your liver cells have a natural rate of mutation that is slightly different than the natural rate of mutation for bone cells which is different still from the natural rate of mutation lung cells which is different still than the various types of cells in mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, birds, fungus, plants and trees.

If we relied solely on the natural rate of mutation, then, yes, there wouldn't be much here except very simple life.

Fortunately, we had a helping hand from natural background radiation that coerced mutations to occur at much, much faster rates.

That natural background radiation comes from our Sun, other stars inside and outside of our galaxy, and radioactive elements on Earth.

The intensity of that natural background radiation has decreased over time, and will continue to decrease over time, but it will never be "0" REMs, because you cannot shield 100% of solar or stellar radiation.

Time-traveling to the far distant past on Earth would be stupid, because at one point, 20 minutes on Earth would be enough to kill you, but not other organisms.

What we have here, is your inability to wrap your brain around age of sexual maturity, gestation period, number of off-spring and the rapid rates of coerced mutation.

Having said that, I am willing to concede that Human Evolution appears to be an aberration.

In fact, I have repeatedly maintained that for a very, very long time. I am open to suggestions, but it does not require a god-thing to fill in the gaps.

Indeed, I find it more likely extra-terrestrials tinkered with Human DNA than any god-thing, and I'm not the first person to suggest that, because 1,000s of years ago some people actually claimed it was extra-terrestrials.
No, I was just pointing how earth bound and human based you are. life happened very fast. contrary to your claim. Unless of course, we are defining "long" solely on your life span. But we both see the problem with that.

I was always for shooting lead cans full a poop in all directions as our "space travel" solution.

But then qed and gravity came about. Now it doesn't matter. this thing is going to reproduce and we are irrelevant.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
O.k. I understand where you're coming from, phet. Yes, as a teacher, you're held to a 'higher' standard. Same with Christians.

But in BOTH case, there are examples of those who fail...BIG time. The teacher who has a sexual affair with a student....the priest who sexually molests a 14 year old boy....

...Is that any reason to throw out the 'baby with the bathwater'?

I claim to be Christian...Catholic, for that matter. But I DON'T claim to be perfect. You and a whole bunch of others seem to think that if *we* say we're "Christian", it MEANS that we're "prefect". And that's not even close to the truth...

Being a Christian means that we TRY to follow the examples set by Christ. TRY is the keyword. Do we fail....often? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that we don't have FAITH. We WANT to follow in Christ's footsteps, knowing fully well, that we probably won't be able to, on this planet..

In God's eyes, I think that educators should be "perfect", just the same as priests should be "perfect"...and mothers and fathers should be "perfect".

But "perfect" is in HIS eyes....not ours.....and I think, THAT'S the difference.....
I appreciate your comments over some others from Christians for reasons I won't get into...

As such, I'm curious what you would say about a good friend of mine who is Christian, also Catholic, who recently explained to me he is not your typical Christian however. For example he is pro-choice.

That okay far as you are concerned? I mean okay thinking in your opinion? Acceptable? In God's eyes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality