Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 04:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
You know Job tried that. :O)

These topics are always such fun. I am a Christian. I don't beat people over the head with my beliefs, but I am there to share if they ask. We are to be good neighbors first. I believe I had a personal encounter with the God through His Word.

The world is evil, not God. God didn't start it being evil, man turned it so. Man cursed creation with his own actions, not God's. Our beliefs do seem unbelievable to many, as yours do to us. But despite our differences, I do believe there is always opportunity to work together and make the world a better place for those around us.

cd :O)
As one great fisherman said ...

The most important thing god created in the garden .... was the snake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 05:14 PM

1,757 posts, read 759,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But we're not allowed to talk politics in the religion sub-forum.
I wasn't talking actual political issues. I was illustrating a point that almost all adults push their morals onto other people and often without realizing it....that this happens outside of religion as well....which fits in to the topic at hand.

Quote:
Even severe anxiety does not mean you have a "defective brain".
Well... Maybe, but my anxiety can paralyze me at times. Little noises can irritate me as my brain too easily loses my train of thoughts. It is nice for you to say I am not dumb though...I really am not that smart, I am not a great speller (spellcheck is a godsend! ) and I am not great at math.

Quote:
You need to have more confidence in yourself.
It doesn't help that in the politics forum I am constantly told that I am "naïve" and my atheist father while drunk told me that I have "$#1+ for brains," because I believe that I can feel Jesus sometimes while doing expectant waiting. Speaking of pushing morals on people... Oh well...

Have a good day and thank you for the conversation!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,798,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Keeping in mind the word "balance". cherry picking is one of the best tools we have.

When people tell me "You are cherry picking". I am like "Yes I am. Look at what I put in this pile and look what I put in that pile. Was the method reliable and are the piles rational?"
Hmm...kind of like, separating the 'wheat' from the 'chaff'?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Uh-huh.

The Christian who can do that with the bible can get along with anybody, anywhere.

The Christian who can't is a fundie and will die out within a couple of generations.

That which does not evolve, becomes extinct.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Uh-huh.

The Christian who can do that with the bible can get along with anybody, anywhere.

The Christian who can't is a fundie and will die out within a couple of generations.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
The preferred analogy by atheists is selecting from a cafeteria display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Uh-huh.

There's that; the cafeteria Christian will be easier to get along with.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:22 AM

11,051 posts, read 6,005,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Well... Maybe, but my anxiety can paralyze me at times. Little noises can irritate me as my brain too easily loses my train of thoughts. It is nice for you to say I am not dumb though...I really am not that smart, I am not a great speller (spellcheck is a godsend! ) and I am not great at math.
Reading your posts I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with your intellect. Your anxiety is a concern though. And I totally rely on spell checker! And not being great at math means nothing. Many smart people in the world suck at math.

And by the way, I know all about "... my anxiety can paralyze me at times. Little noises can irritate me as my brain too easily loses my train of thoughts".

Old 05-15-2020, 02:30 AM

1,757 posts, read 759,780 times
Quote:
If you are a christian and you peddle your christianity to others, then you damned well better be cleaner than the driven snow.

...Friendly question on what is peddling Christianity....

So about 5 and a half years ago my mom died, my dad became a dumpster fire, and I am the oldest with 1 sibling.

My dad had other "priorities" so I was responsible for putting my brother to bed pretty much every night...even if he was home.

Making my brother brush his teeth, making him wash up, making him tidy up his corner of the room, and also reassuring him as we ended up moving in a manner that wasn't great.

I would make him listen to me read a children's Bible every night for several years before I would move on to another book of his choice or other thing at bedtime (he would often ask about math, which taught me to think about how I explained things)...until he finally started putting himself to bed around junior high age. He would often resist the Bible stories as he wanted to get right into his choice time. Eventually, he started to like it.

Am I a bad person for not being driven as the white snow, but yet still once upon a time peddled religion to my brother that was struggling at the time as I was too? Why must I be perfect in order to use Jesus to comfort myself and my brother during difficult times - when nobody is perfect? Jesus pulled me through an extremely difficult time and made me have many positives today.

Today, my brother says he isn't very religious, but he is religious, and he found those times valuable and he even recently told me that he will keep that children's Bible forever and that he actually read some from it recently as comfort during the Coronavirus shutdowns to help ease his mind.

Did I do something that bad in your mind by peddling religion to him?

P.S. I am a pacifist so when I used the phrase "make him listen" up above, consider the context as in we will do this or we won't do that.

Just genuinely curious if the above upsets you...no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Reading your posts I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with your intellect. Your anxiety is a concern though. And I totally rely on spell checker! And not being great at math means nothing. Many smart people in the world suck at math.

And by the way, I know all about "... my anxiety can paralyze me at times. Little noises can irritate me as my brain too easily loses my train of thoughts".
Thanks 303 Guy, you are too kind. I guess I am probably okay at math....just my brother is really really good at it and since I kind of raised him a little bit it stinks to get passed by intellectually so quickly when I use to teach him things and now he is clearly superior. I compare myself a lot to my brother and bf and fall short mentally....and height wise too!

Sorry about your anxiety issues. Here is a thread I made about helping with anxiety using natural ways!

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 05-15-2020 at 02:42 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 04:41 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,232 times
I’d have anxiety issues too if I were lied to all my life that there is a place I could go to after I die where I will be tortured for ever and ever and ever.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
exactly like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality