Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 05:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have known and seen God's intervention in all my life, and because of Jesus' provision of the Holy Spirit.
I have fellowship with God who gives me guidance in all areas of my life.
His will is not foisted on me, rather I know that I need His intervention and influence and because of His guidance both lead me to those in need, and avoid danger and find a safe path through danger as well.
I have laid hands on the sick and dying and broken and seen them recover even in my own body as well.
God often puts a name on my heart and I pray as I am directed and leave it up to Him.
I don't attempt to manipulate God, I cooperate with Him. God is not my servant, I am His.
I want to be His because he looks out for me in so many ways, I am so indebted to Him.
I make no excuse for those that abuse the power of Jesus name, Jesus warned for that matter ( Matthew 7;21,22,23,)
"Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father. Many will come to me and say but we did all these works/miracles in your name. and I will say, depart from me you workers of iniquity making a profit on my name.( I am paraphrasing) .
Assuming you know what God's will is by scriptures alone is a serious mistake. Jesus provided the Holy Spirit for a relationship with man to walk in His instruction moment by moment. If you are with out this relationship you've missed the whole thing.
People adopt a label but that does not make it so . If I write on my forehead "Ford" does that make me one?
God deals in truth not fantasy nor lies for that matter, no liars in heaven. Satan is a liar and the father of it, hence that is likely why he was kicked out.
Hell was made for the devil and his angels and all those who serve him, voluntarily and involuntarily.
Rebellion to God is sin.
Jesus provided forgiveness for those that desperately want to restore the relationship. choosing Not to receive what God has provided is one's own decision. being a part of a family of believers yet with out the relationship is still rebellion.
As for God's intervention in the world, His mercy extends to His own, not to those that have no commitment.
This ^^^^ is it...right here!
Very inspiring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 05:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This ^^^^ is it...right here!
Very inspiring!
hey we disagree ... your post smells.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:46 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Perhaps "have no business" is too harsh. What I meant was "if atheists do not believe in god then why would they be interested in a topic that asks the question "Is God evil or good"?
I am an atheist. "Is God evil or good" is a topic that would interest me because it is what started my path to atheism, as opposed to being "against God believers or God". I stopped blaming God for the bad things in my life, so I reject the idea of God being evil. However, I took things a step further and decided that God wouldn't receive any credit for the good things either. That would mean that I couldn't contribute to such a thread.

But I can participate in something like what I quoted just below. I reject an evil God as well as don't provide credit to a good god, but don't really call this disbelief in God, who I never met. It is disbelief in another human's idea of an idea called God.

Quote:
Atheism can take many forms, from disbelief in God to the complete rejection of Him because they view Him as an evil entity by virtue of His unwillingness to stop evil.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have known and seen God's intervention in all my life, and because of Jesus' provision of the Holy Spirit.
I have fellowship with God who gives me guidance in all areas of my life.
His will is not foisted on me, rather I know that I need His intervention and influence and because of His guidance both lead me to those in need, and avoid danger and find a safe path through danger as well.
I have laid hands on the sick and dying and broken and seen them recover even in my own body as well.
God often puts a name on my heart and I pray as I am directed and leave it up to Him.
I don't attempt to manipulate God, I cooperate with Him. God is not my servant, I am His.
I want to be His because he looks out for me in so many ways, I am so indebted to Him.
I make no excuse for those that abuse the power of Jesus name, Jesus warned for that matter ( Matthew 7;21,22,23,)
"Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father. Many will come to me and say but we did all these works/miracles in your name. and I will say, depart from me you workers of iniquity making a profit on my name.( I am paraphrasing) .
Assuming you know what God's will is by scriptures alone is a serious mistake. Jesus provided the Holy Spirit for a relationship with man to walk in His instruction moment by moment. If you are with out this relationship you've missed the whole thing.
People adopt a label but that does not make it so . If I write on my forehead "Ford" does that make me one?
God deals in truth not fantasy nor lies for that matter, no liars in heaven. Satan is a liar and the father of it, hence that is likely why he was kicked out.
Hell was made for the devil and his angels and all those who serve him, voluntarily and involuntarily.
Rebellion to God is sin.
Jesus provided forgiveness for those that desperately want to restore the relationship. choosing Not to receive what God has provided is one's own decision. being a part of a family of believers yet with out the relationship is still rebellion.
As for God's intervention in the world, His mercy extends to His own, not to those that have no commitment.

I always say, if a Christian gets something out of Christianity that is beneficial for his life definitely continue it. Problem is millions of former Christians who thought they were doing it right just like you didn't get a single thing out of it so they left. Their fault or God? Doesn't God have the power to do for them what he does for you? Or does he just not care about them the way he does for you? Or is he just a figment of people's imagination?

Old 06-06-2022, 06:47 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
I always say, if a Christian gets something out of Christianity that is beneficial for his life definitely continue it. Problem is millions of former Christians who thought they were doing it right just like you didn't get a single thing out of it so they left. Their fault or God? Doesn't God have the power to do for them what he does for you? Or does he just not care about them the way he does for you? Or is he just a figment of people's imagination?
Good questions.

I always ask, and never get an answer: if God loves us, why can't we feel that we are loved by God?

I feel my daughter's love for me. I can tell my partner loves me because of how he makes me feel. I knew my parents loved me, and not just because they said so. I know my siblings and friends love me because I can feel it.

But I do not feel love from God. I am told to believe it, endlessly quoted the Bible verses that are supposed to make me believe it, sternly admonished that I must be doing something that makes this my fault, and yet, no matter how I groveled and reoented and opened my heart and tried, I have no way of feeling this love. It makes one question.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am an atheist. "Is God evil or good" is a topic that would interest me because it is what started my path to atheism, as opposed to being "against God believers or God". I stopped blaming God for the bad things in my life, so I reject the idea of God being evil. However, I took things a step further and decided that God wouldn't receive any credit for the good things either. That would mean that I couldn't contribute to such a thread.

But I can participate in something like what I quoted just below. I reject an evil God as well as don't provide credit to a good god, but don't really call this disbelief in God, who I never met. It is disbelief in another human's idea of an idea called God.

Ah, finally someone gets where I am coming from. Why do I believe this God/higher power is evil? I take a lot of it from Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

God is able to prevent evil but he doesn't care to. That makes him evil just like Epicurus says. Why do I even believe in such a God, if indeed I actually believe in him (I am not absolutely sure I do): one reason:

How much information is stored in our DNA?
215 million gigabytes

Data Storage within DNA

DNA molecules can store up to 215 petabytes, or 215 million gigabytes, of data in a single doubled stranded molecule, making it one of the highest storage density mediums in the world.
Aug 11, 2020

I'm sorry m'dear atheists--such astonishing organized info imprinted in DNA absolutely does not come about by random accident. There too much organization going on in nature to make it a random senseless accident. Nature has some kind of higher intelligence guiding it. Nature shouldn't be able to encode everyone's DNA with 215 MILLION gigabytes on a single strand of DNA. Multiply that by the roughly 100 billion people who have lived since man walked upright and you get a number that cannot even be written out. That's no accident.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:25 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Ah, finally someone gets where I am coming from. Why do I believe this God/higher power is evil? I take a lot of it from Epicurus:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

God is able to prevent evil but he doesn't care to. That makes him evil just like Epicurus says. Why do I even believe in such a God, if indeed I actually believe in him (I am not absolutely sure I do): one reason:

How much information is stored in our DNA?
215 million gigabytes

Data Storage within DNA

DNA molecules can store up to 215 petabytes, or 215 million gigabytes, of data in a single doubled stranded molecule, making it one of the highest storage density mediums in the world.
Aug 11, 2020

I'm sorry m'dear atheists--such astonishing organized info imprinted in DNA absolutely does not come about by random accident. There too much organization going on in nature to make it a random senseless accident. Nature has some kind of higher intelligence guiding it. Nature shouldn't be able to encode everyone's DNA with 215 MILLION gigabytes on a single strand of DNA. Multiply that by the roughly 100 billion people who have lived since man walked upright and you get a number that cannot even be written out. That's no accident.
When I think of DNA, I don't think "random accident" nor do I think "God". Instead what I think is "so that's how...". Does that make me an atheist?

Old 06-06-2022, 07:28 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Good questions.

I always ask, and never get an answer: if God loves us, why can't we feel that we are loved by God?

I feel my daughter's love for me. I can tell my partner loves me because of how he makes me feel. I knew my parents loved me, and not just because they said so. I know my siblings and friends love me because I can feel it.

But I do not feel love from God. I am told to believe it, endlessly quoted the Bible verses that are supposed to make me believe it, sternly admonished that I must be doing something that makes this my fault, and yet, no matter how I groveled and repented and opened my heart and tried, I had no experience of feeling this love. It makes one question.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-07-2022 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 PM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
LOL! Sorry but...ONE 2006 biased article?

What about the OTHER articles that have been written SINCE then?

I'm not even going to link you to any of them, because I *know* you can find them--and a whole BUNCH of them--on the internet that say otherwise...

Try telling the billions of Christians---who have had prayers and intercessory prayers work for them, that "prayer doesn't work".

Riiiiiiight.
You are ignoring the billions of Christians who's prayers were not answered. Either your god is selective, or those successful prayers were just coincidences.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You are ignoring the billions of Christians who's prayers were not answered. Either your god is selective, or those successful prayers were just coincidences.

Her god is not the only one who's selective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality