Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 09:47 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,798,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have a really difficult time getting my notion of two gods across, I don't know why. What I propose is that all the man-made gods including Yahweh don't deliver what their holy books promise. The Bible promises you shall have anything you ask for granted if you ask in Jesus' name. NONSENSE! Ask all year in Jesus' name--nothing will happen for you. Why? Because Yahweh and Jesus are inventions of the human mind. Note I didn't say a historic character maybe named Jesus upon which the divine Jesus was built. He may have existed. The divine Jesus son of Yahweh most assuredly did not. Yahweh has no more power to answer a prayer than my stapler.

But I postulate there a real higher being I call God with a capital G to distinguish it from the man-made god Yahweh. This being likely got the universe and life on earth started then divorced itself from everything having to do with this world, which is why we see nothing supernatural happening in the world. Have I made my views clear so far or is there still confusion?
*raises hand* Um...Professor Thrill...? () I still have some confusion about your views, and I think know why.

You've been here posting on CD for a lot longer than me, and I'm sure you've related your previous beliefs before, when you were a believer. And because I've been here such a short time (compared to you and others), I probably missed so much of your back story. For example, I have no idea how much of a 'dedicated' believer you used to be. I don't know WHAT you prayed, HOW you prayed, HOW OFTEN you prayed, WHAT your expectations were...WHAT kind of services you attended, if any. I don't know if there was a significant event that caused you to dismiss your previous beliefs, or if you were never much of a believer in the first place.

I mean...I am Catholic. And Catholics have the "reputation" of praying to statues, in certain circles. Had I prayed to a statue, and got no results, I just might have become an atheist. After all, my expectation may have been, that when I prayed, the statue would come to life IMMEDIATELY after I said my prayer, and grant me whatever I wanted...like a genie. After my expectations not coming to fruition a number of times, I very well may have concluded that this whole "belief" thing...is bunk!

I kind of wonder if you're in a similar position. I mean, I know that you've been quoting the Scripture that says (I'm paraphrasing), to ask ANYTHING in Jesus name, and he'll do it. But I still wonder what your expectations are beyond that verse.

Maybe, if you have a few moments, you could provide me a link or two to some of your back story...?

Please?

It would at least help me to understand where you're coming from, a little bit better. Perfectly fine if you don't want to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:48 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times
Quote:
Perhaps "have no business" is too harsh. What I meant was "if atheists do not believe in god then why would they be interested in a topic that asks the question "Is God evil or good"?
Speaking strictly for myself, I sometimes hope these threads will be a little more interesting and the comments a little more worthwhile to consider than most of the drivel that fills this one.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, thanks much, mensaguy. Point taken. My question was more rhetorical and out of frustration because people keep asking me, "Why do you say this and why do you say that when yada yada"? It's probably my fault I cannot articulate my thoughts properly.
I really don't think it's the communication that is the problem here...

Old 06-06-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I really don't think it's the communication that is the problem here...
Giving you a 'shout-out'...

I told you that I ordered the book we talked about. I ordered a few other items the same day, and those items were due on June 3rd. I thought the book was also due on the 3rd. Turns out I misread the invoice, and it's actually due on the 8th (according to 'tracking', it's already shipped)

Still looking forward to getting it/reading it!

Old 06-06-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Giving you a 'shout-out'...

I told you that I ordered the book we talked about. I ordered a few other items the same day, and those items were due on June 3rd. I thought the book was also due on the 3rd. Turns out I misread the invoice, and it's actually due on the 8th (according to 'tracking', it's already shipped)

Still looking forward to getting it/reading it!
I hope you find it well worth your time, effort, patience and money! I got mine from the library, but as mentioned before, I've recommended it many times to many people who might be interested in the subjects of religion and science and history. Non-fiction nicely all blended into one.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:03 AM

278 posts, read 82,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A gnostic atheist. Not all atheists are claiming that God does not exist. The terms atheism and gnostic and agnostic are provided in a sticky in Atheism and Agnostic sub forum.

I am aware that atheism refers to disbelief or lack of belief, but agnosticism also refers to a lack of belief. In addition to that, if lack of belief is based on the reason that one cannot know whether or not a god exists, then a theist can be an agnostic if his belief in a god is based on faith and not on knowledge.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I hope you find it well worth your time, effort, patience and money! I got mine from the library, but as mentioned before, I've recommended it many times to many people who might be interested in the subjects of religion and science and history. Non-fiction nicely all blended into one.
Oh wow! DOES it tie in religion, science and history? I've deliberately not read ANY reviews, so I have no clue! If it does, then I'm chomping on the bit even more!

Old 06-06-2022, 11:57 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
*raises hand* Um...Professor Thrill...? () I still have some confusion about your views, and I think know why.

You've been here posting on CD for a lot longer than me, and I'm sure you've related your previous beliefs before, when you were a believer. And because I've been here such a short time (compared to you and others), I probably missed so much of your back story. For example, I have no idea how much of a 'dedicated' believer you used to be. I don't know WHAT you prayed, HOW you prayed, HOW OFTEN you prayed, WHAT your expectations were...WHAT kind of services you attended, if any. I don't know if there was a significant event that caused you to dismiss your previous beliefs, or if you were never much of a believer in the first place.

I mean...I am Catholic. And Catholics have the "reputation" of praying to statues, in certain circles. Had I prayed to a statue, and got no results, I just might have become an atheist. After all, my expectation may have been, that when I prayed, the statue would come to life IMMEDIATELY after I said my prayer, and grant me whatever I wanted...like a genie. After my expectations not coming to fruition a number of times, I very well may have concluded that this whole "belief" thing...is bunk!

I kind of wonder if you're in a similar position. I mean, I know that you've been quoting the Scripture that says (I'm paraphrasing), to ask ANYTHING in Jesus name, and he'll do it. But I still wonder what your expectations are beyond that verse.

Maybe, if you have a few moments, you could provide me a link or two to some of your back story...?

Please?

It would at least help me to understand where you're coming from, a little bit better. Perfectly fine if you don't want to...

Your post, Mink is a perfect example of what's wrong with religion. See how complicated things get when someone drags religion into the fray?

Quote:
How dedicated a believer were you? WHAT did you pray? HOW did you pray HOW OFTEN did you pray? WHAT your expectations were...WHAT kind of services you attended, if any. I don't know if there was a significant event that caused you to dismiss your previous beliefs, or if you were never much of a believer in the first place.

YAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Let me off the bus!!!!!!

Seriously, Mink I suppose I just came to realize absolutely nothing about Christianity worked.

Christianity is a business, Mink and it's BIG business! It's all about the money, honey. It's a scam built on "What if"?

A guy named Joe Karbo back in the 70's asked a simple question when selling his "Lazy Man's Way To Riches" for $10 a book. He got wealthy asking a simple question. He asked:

"Buy my book. If I'm wrong all you've lost is a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time. BUT WHAT IF I'M RIGHT?"

Christian church leaders ask the same question with regard to believing in Jesus and threatening people they will go to hell and burn eternally in fire if they don't:

"Accept Jesus and avoid hell. If we're wrong you lost nothing. BUT WHAT IF WE'RE RIGHT?"

See where I"m coming from?

Old 06-06-2022, 12:03 PM

Wow, thrill. It's been 2 hours since I posted to you. And you have yet to respond.

Should I assume like you often do , that you're "afraid" to do so? I mean, it's been 2 hours...shouldn't you have responded by NOW, as you require others to do?

And it makes me wonder, if you apply the same 'rules' to God.

If God doesn't respond to you IMMEDIATELY, that He's somehow 'defective'...?

Old 06-06-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Your post, Mink is a perfect example of what's wrong with religion. See how complicated things get when someone drags religion into the fray?

YAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Let me off the bus!!!!!!

Seriously, Mink I suppose I just came to realize absolutely nothing about Christianity worked.

Christianity is a business, Mink and it's BIG business! It's all about the money, honey. It's a scam built on "What if"?

A guy named Joe Karbo back in the 70's asked a simple question when selling his "Lazy Man's Way To Riches" for $10 a book. He got wealthy asking a simple question. He asked:

"Buy my book. If I'm wrong all you've lost is a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time. BUT WHAT IF I'M RIGHT?"

Christian church leaders ask the same question with regard to believing in Jesus and threatening people they will go to hell and burn eternally in fire if they don't:

"Accept Jesus and avoid hell. If we're wrong you lost nothing. BUT WHAT IF WE'RE RIGHT?"

See where I"m coming from?
Looks like we cross-posted.

But what does ANY of what you posted above, have to do with what I asked you?

Are you just looking for a soap-box to spew off about what your experiences have been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality