Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 11:55 PM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I take exception to some of this. It's true that atheists technically have no business on this thread because it involves two God/god's--the real God/higher power that kickstarted life on earth AND the Christian pagan god, Yahweh (stolen by the Hebrews from the civilization that is credited with creating it) and if one is an atheist one doesn't believe in either one.
As it is a thread that is incorrect about why atheists do not believe in gods, then I would argue we do have business on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 02:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
Quote:
I take exception to some of this. It's true that atheists technically have no business on this thread because it involves two God/god's--the real God/higher power that kickstarted life on earth AND the Christian pagan god, Yahweh (stolen by the Hebrews from the civilization that is credited with creating it) and if one is an atheist one doesn't believe in either one. For those who are deistic, agnostic or believers the topic is very relevant because one would want to be informed as to whether or not the God/god they believe in is good or evil based solely on how this entity interacts with them. Deists like myself don't believe either one interacts in any way with this world. Agnostics are on the fence about whether this entity is evil or good because they're not even sure whether the entity exists or not. I am here to tell the agnostic and believer that from where I stand the rule of "no action is criminal action" applies, as in "They knew abuse was going on but they declined to report it for fear of getting involved". Failing to report the abuse is a criminal action. In the case of God/god the real God is unaware or uncaring about evil going on down here and that makes him a criminal entity in my opinion and therefore evil. I reject this evil God because he rejects me. The Christian pagan god Yahweh doesn't exist in my opinion by virtue of him being a god created by the Canaanites. However, in the minds of Christians Yahweh does exist, yet if we just grant to Christians that this is a real god, this god still betrays them by its total neglect of them. This neglect is fully demonstrable in poll after poll which shows it not responding at all to prayer. Science recognizes that there has never been a scintilla of evidence that anything supernatural has happened in this world, therefore the supernatural remains a non-sequitur with regard to its validity.

Therefore the REAL God is evil by virtue of its neglect of us when we need it. The Christian pagan god is evil by virtue of it being real in the Christians' minds, and this not-real-except-in the-minds-of-Christians god is evil by virtue of it in like manner not displaying any interest in the people who worship it and need it.
yes, you should. And I am sorry to have to say it like that but its due to where we are. And you have valid point also. We shouldn't stand around. I totally agree with you with some of them.

But you are mixing up notions into a bowl of [whatever].

The truth is that anti-god atheism is as unreliable as deity theism. Its very religious looking in its processing of beliefs. And if pointing that out every time one of them speaks is like getting caught in quicksand, so be it.

I am not standing around and letting that nonsense go any more than you feel Christians shouldn't.

The phrase "real God", is silly thrill. Then to tag it with "Is an evil entity".

You have to understand from my position you what that sounds like. To me, it appears you grab hold to your new belief like you did the old one. You now have to fight your old belief like you did beliefs before it.

Maybe, instead of attacking them like you do ask yourself why did you believe like you did in the first place?

I had theist parents and didn't believe at the age of like 9. So what is the difference? and who and why played the roles they did in it?

Just because it appears that god made you as you are doesn't mean its evil.

Just because you don't like Christianity doesn't make it evil. It implies you know far more than we can. Christianity is just like the human race. SO much so that is why I am not anti-religious nor do I have to fight every god claim.

People that have to fight every god claim suffer from something, there is a disconnect somewhere. Otherwise this is simple ...

Most people believe in some thing more because it just matches what we see better. Most disconnects are not malicious. But not here, not in CD. WHat we see here is dangerous to people's freedom everywhere. as dangerous as your evil god.

so anti-god must be more evil because it considers any questioning of atheism "quicksand"?

To my 3 year old, I was a nasty, cold hearted, evil entity because they didn't get ice cream.

ANd I feel you should apply your statement of "we shouldn't stand around and do nothing" when clearly the belief in some thing more matches what we see better than the reverse belief. ANd we should say that every time they say the contrary. or stand up when they silly things like "We are only talking about one specific type of belief". I mean really thrill? in a belief forum we except that as remotely rational?

Old 06-06-2022, 03:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
The bottom line is that the belief in some thing more matches what we see better ...

you can call it what ever you want. You can handle it how ever you want ... if it is releible.

but where does "I am not even going to speculate" fit? for ten's of thousands of posts? Over multiple sites and years and years and years of posting it?

When clearly, the statement "some thing more" has far more observational data than the reverse.

ATheism is stronger than people here give it credit.

Yeah, I believe in some thing more (we talk about that) and still your deity is the far less probable.
Yes, some theist are irrational and we, as atheist, should confront our irrational people too. Like past lives ... really? I am supposed to just side with that for p-word reasons? really?

I means it so simple its astounding that the internet tough guys can't face it down ... errrr .... oh wait a min ... my bad.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then you do not understand the logic.

My disbelief (applicable according to my dictionary definitions) in all gods is a conclusion based on logic, science and mathematics, and has nothing to do with rejecting one evil god (which would entail that god actually existing).
There is no "your" dictionary definitions, or "my" dictionary definitions...just all the formal definitions and meanings there are.

Your "disbelief" is based upon your redaction of some of the known formal definitions and meanings, and pretending they don't count...and only considering being-type Deity God(s), and no other manifestations and/or perceptions.
There is no logic, science, or mathematics that aligns with doing that...but you do it based upon bias, and because, well, you know why.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:41 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,949,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As it is a thread that is incorrect about why atheists do not believe in gods, then I would argue we do have business on this thread.

Perhaps "have no business" is too harsh. What I meant was "if atheists do not believe in god then why would they be interested in a topic that asks the question "Is God evil or good"?

Old 06-06-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, you should. And I am sorry to have to say it like that but its due to where we are. And you have valid point also. We shouldn't stand around. I totally agree with you with some of them.

But you are mixing up notions into a bowl of [whatever].

The truth is that anti-god atheism is as unreliable as deity theism. Its very religious looking in its processing of beliefs. And if pointing that out every time one of them speaks is like getting caught in quicksand, so be it.

I am not standing around and letting that nonsense go any more than you feel Christians shouldn't.

The phrase "real God", is silly thrill. Then to tag it with "Is an evil entity".

You have to understand from my position you what that sounds like. To me, it appears you grab hold to your new belief like you did the old one. You now have to fight your old belief like you did beliefs before it.

Maybe, instead of attacking them like you do ask yourself why did you believe like you did in the first place?

I had theist parents and didn't believe at the age of like 9. So what is the difference? and who and why played the roles they did in it?

Just because it appears that god made you as you are doesn't mean its evil.

Just because you don't like Christianity doesn't make it evil. It implies you know far more than we can. Christianity is just like the human race. SO much so that is why I am not anti-religious nor do I have to fight every god claim.

People that have to fight every god claim suffer from something, there is a disconnect somewhere. Otherwise this is simple ...

Most people believe in some thing more because it just matches what we see better. Most disconnects are not malicious. But not here, not in CD. WHat we see here is dangerous to people's freedom everywhere. as dangerous as your evil god.

so anti-god must be more evil because it considers any questioning of atheism "quicksand"?

To my 3 year old, I was a nasty, cold hearted, evil entity because they didn't get ice cream.

ANd I feel you should apply your statement of "we shouldn't stand around and do nothing" when clearly the belief in some thing more matches what we see better than the reverse belief. ANd we should say that every time they say the contrary. or stand up when they silly things like "We are only talking about one specific type of belief". I mean really thrill? in a belief forum we except that as remotely rational?

I have a really difficult time getting my notion of two gods across, I don't know why. What I propose is that all the man-made gods including Yahweh don't deliver what their holy books promise. The Bible promises you shall have anything you ask for granted if you ask in Jesus' name. NONSENSE! Ask all year in Jesus' name--nothing will happen for you. Why? Because Yahweh and Jesus are inventions of the human mind. Note I didn't say a historic character maybe named Jesus upon which the divine Jesus was built. He may have existed. The divine Jesus son of Yahweh most assuredly did not. Yahweh has no more power to answer a prayer than my stapler.

But I postulate there a real higher being I call God with a capital G to distinguish it from the man-made god Yahweh. This being likely got the universe and life on earth started then divorced itself from everything having to do with this world, which is why we see nothing supernatural happening in the world. Have I made my views clear so far or is there still confusion?

Old 06-06-2022, 08:54 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Perhaps "have no business" is too harsh. What I meant was "if atheists do not believe in god then why would they be interested in a topic that asks the question "Is God evil or good"?
My guess would be that you mentioned Atheism in the thread title (Atheism As A REJECTION OF--Not Disbelief In--An Evil God), therefore you would expect atheists to read and respond.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
My guess would be that you mentioned Atheism in the thread title (Atheism As A REJECTION OF--Not Disbelief In--An Evil God), therefore you would expect atheists to read and respond.

Yeah, thanks much, mensaguy. Point taken. My question was more rhetorical and out of frustration because people keep asking me, "Why do you say this and why do you say that when yada yada"? It's probably my fault I cannot articulate my thoughts properly.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:25 AM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
We have answered this question and variations on it so many times and in so much detail, I have to imagine that you would ignore it if we answered it yet again.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:26 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Yeah, thanks much, mensaguy. Point taken. My question was more rhetorical and out of frustration because people keep asking me, "Why do you say this and why do you say that when yada yada"? It's probably my fault I cannot articulate my thoughts properly.
I wasn't being critical. It just seemed like an obvious reason for atheists to reply. Same way I'm likely to respond when Freemasons are mentioned or Katzpur responds when Mormons are mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality