Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 12:37 PM

18,262 posts, read 17,041,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Looks like we cross-posted.

But what does ANY of what you posted above, have to do with what I asked you?

Are you just looking for a soap-box to spew off about what your experiences have been?

I'm trying to explain what I finally came to realize about God and Christianity and Jesus and all the muck associated with them and the televangelist con men who peddle them.

Christianity doesn't work, Mink--UNLESS you believe it works. It's a mind-thing.

Here's the truth as I see it, Mink:

Very few successful businessmen are Christian except a veneer they put on for PR purposes. They're mostly atheist. They don't need Jesus because they're doing fine making a happy life and earning lots of money on their own. In my opinion, most people who get sucked into Christianity either were indoctrinated from the cradle and grew up with it OR they came to Jesus as a result of a tremendous trauma they were experiencing in their lives. Some pastor came to them and said, "I have the answer to all your troubles: Jesus Christ. All you have to do is say the sinner's prayer and you will be accepted into God's kingdom and he will help you with all the problems you are experiencing." Of course Jesus never helps them do squat. But Jesus has given them a purpose for living that they didn't previously have. Now that is a good thing. That's why I always say, "If Christianity works for you and makes you a better person then go for it". Problem is Jesus didn't do it,your belief in Jesus did it. For others it does absolutely nothing and they drop it. That's why Christianity is 100% operated on unsubstantiated promises of something better in the afterlife and maybe here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 12:58 PM

4,659 posts, read 1,831,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm trying to explain what I finally came to realize about God and Christianity and Jesus and all the muck associated with them and the televangelist con men who peddle them.
O.k...

Quote:
Christianity doesn't work, Mink--UNLESS you believe it works. It's a mind-thing.
Hmm.. Seems to work for billions of Christians...

Quote:
Very few successful businessmen are Christian except a veneer they put on for PR purposes. They're mostly atheist. They don't need Jesus because they're doing fine making a happy life and earning lots of money on their own.
Is that what 'Christianity' is about? Making 'lots of money'?

Quote:
In my opinion, most people who get sucked into Christianity either were indoctrinated from the cradle and grew up with it OR they came to Jesus as a result of a tremendous trauma they were experiencing in their lives.
That may be *your* opinion, but doesn't make it so...Quite a number of people do explore what their options are...and conclude, that Jesus IS THE WAY....

Quote:
Some pastor came to them and said, "I have the answer to all your troubles: Jesus Christ. All you have to do is say the sinner's prayer and you will be accepted into God's kingdom and he will help you with all the problems you are experiencing." Of course Jesus never helps them do squat. But Jesus has given them a purpose for living that they didn't previously have. Now that is a good thing. That's why I always say, "If Christianity works for you and makes you a better person then go for it". Problem is Jesus didn't do it,your belief in Jesus did it. For others it does absolutely nothing and they drop it. That's why Christianity is 100% operated on unsubstantiated promises of something better in the afterlife and maybe here.
From a Christian point of view, you seem to have a warped opinion of Jesus.

Sorry thrill...but I've had NUMEROUS answers to my prayers. And I do NOT believe, for one iota, that you've NEVER had answers to yours...

You probably have, and have dismissed them as, "Well, that could have happened anyway...".

You don't seem to get that God is in our lives, whether we want Him there, or not.

You...like others...just don't want to acknowledge that.....

Old 06-06-2022, 01:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,697,804 times
Quote:
O.k...

That may be *your* opinion, but doesn't make it so...Quite a number of people do explore what their options are...and conclude, that Jesus IS THE WAY....

Sorry thrill...but I've had NUMEROUS answers to my prayers. And I do NOT believe, for one iota, that you've NEVER had answers to yours...

You probably have, and have dismissed them as, "Well, that could have happened anyway...".

You don't seem to get that God is in our lives, whether we want Him there, or not.

For some reason he has a major problem with Christians being taught about the God presented by The Bible, and believing what they are taught.
But he seems to know all about the "Real God" he believes in...and everything about it.
Yet cannot tell us how he knows all these things about this "Real God" he goes on, and on, and on, and on about.
And he sure does know everything about it...what it can & can't do...what is has & hasn't done...even its mindset and attitude.
Notice how the Atheists do not hassle him about this "Real God" he believes in and supposedly knows all about, like they do with any other Theist...since he insults and mocks Christianity/Christians, he's in good with them because of that.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
O.k...

Then answer me one simple question, Mink. If Christianity works then why the following conclusion:

Empirical research indicates that prayer and intercessory prayer have NO discernible effects.[1]

"Long-Awaited Medical Study Questions the Power of Prayer"

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/h...of-prayer.html

Old 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM

4,659 posts, read 1,831,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Then answer me one simple question, Mink. If Christianity works then why the following conclusion:

Empirical research indicates that prayer and intercessory prayer have NO discernible effects.[1]

"Long-Awaited Medical Study Questions the Power of Prayer"

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/h...of-prayer.html
LOL! Sorry but...ONE 2006 biased article?

What about the OTHER articles that have been written SINCE then?

I'm not even going to link you to any of them, because I *know* you can find them--and a whole BUNCH of them--on the internet that say otherwise...

Try telling the billions of Christians---who have had prayers and intercessory prayers work for them, that "prayer doesn't work".

Riiiiiiight.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:42 PM

51,470 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:

I'm not even going to link you to any of them, because I *know* you can find them--and a whole BUNCH of them--on the internet that say otherwise...

Try telling the billions of Christians---who have had prayers and intercessory prayers work for them, that "prayer doesn't work".

Riiiiiiight.
Billions of christians who may have thought payers were answered.
And billions of other christians whose prayers were not answered.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Riiiiiiight.

They rigged an entire medical study to make people believe prayer doesn't work because they have it in for Jesus??????????

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight !

Old 06-06-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Billions of christians who may have thought payers were answered.
And billions of other christians whose prayers were not answered.

With the accent on "thought". It's curious that no study has been done to demonstrate conclusively that prayer works without fail--that thousands of people were randomly polled and they all stated they have their prayers answered most or all of the time. I wonder why Mink never brings that up. Maybe because prayer has never been proven to work.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:35 PM

7,349 posts, read 6,986,710 times
I have known and seen God's intervention in all my life, and because of Jesus' provision of the Holy Spirit.
I have fellowship with God who gives me guidance in all areas of my life.
His will is not foisted on me, rather I know that I need His intervention and influence and because of His guidance both lead me to those in need, and avoid danger and find a safe path through danger as well.
I have laid hands on the sick and dying and broken and seen them recover even in my own body as well.
God often puts a name on my heart and I pray as I am directed and leave it up to Him.
I don't attempt to manipulate God, I cooperate with Him. God is not my servant, I am His.
I want to be His because he looks out for me in so many ways, I am so indebted to Him.
I make no excuse for those that abuse the power of Jesus name, Jesus warned for that matter ( Matthew 7;21,22,23,)
"Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father. Many will come to me and say but we did all these works/miracles in your name. and I will say, depart from me you workers of iniquity making a profit on my name.( I am paraphrasing) .
Assuming you know what God's will is by scriptures alone is a serious mistake. Jesus provided the Holy Spirit for a relationship with man to walk in His instruction moment by moment. If you are with out this relationship you've missed the whole thing.
People adopt a label but that does not make it so . If I write on my forehead "Ford" does that make me one?
God deals in truth not fantasy nor lies for that matter, no liars in heaven. Satan is a liar and the father of it, hence that is likely why he was kicked out.
Hell was made for the devil and his angels and all those who serve him, voluntarily and involuntarily.
Rebellion to God is sin.
Jesus provided forgiveness for those that desperately want to restore the relationship. choosing Not to receive what God has provided is one's own decision. being a part of a family of believers yet with out the relationship is still rebellion.
As for God's intervention in the world, His mercy extends to His own, not to those that have no commitment.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,680,804 times
well, atheism may not be a rejection of an evil god, but it is a rejection of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality