Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2022, 09:20 AM

29,617 posts, read 9,835,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It is actually the main formal definition of "G-O-D".

God noun
\ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
plural gods
Definition of god
(Entry 1 of 2)
1God: the supreme or ultimate reality

Also...there is no such thing as something that's "supernatural"...though there are a lot of natural things that are super.
This too is just one definition, and of course you use it because it fits your narrative and/or perception. Also of course this is not the only definition or even the most common definition. That goes more like this...

God
1. (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
2. (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 09:20 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,356,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Seldom? I think there are some highly successful attorneys who specialize in Contract Law (for example) would strongly disagree with you.
I was referring to criminal cases of individuals. I have xero experience with conttact law.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:23 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,356,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
It is very comforting to see you and mordant doing your best to untangle some of this pretzel logic, but by now we can all see and should probably accept that no one is moving anyone else's needle here. Takes more than all efforts to explain this sort of thing in this forum to overcome the obvious bias that simply will not oblige.

"The important thing, I think, is not to be bitter. You know, if it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that He's evil. I think that the worst you can say about Him is that, basically, He's an underachiever." [Woody Allen]
I am.not bitter at all, I am forever learning about other people here

I think if there turns out to be a God he or she will have no cinnection to the OT.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Yes, I guess you've said that before. I'd say it's a very nonstandard definition of "God," in the U.S. at least, where God is more typically thought of as some supernatural entity.
Also comforting to read your comments too Heron, but critical thinking just can't compete with God-think, no matter how hard or how long you try...

Still, thanks. "Nonstandard" is a nice way to put it, and no doubt "nonstandard" is what is heavily relied upon here. As if most of us don't know better.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,661,065 times
Quote:
Also comforting to read your comments too Heron, but critical thinking just can't compete with God-think, no matter how hard or how long you try...

Still, thanks. "Nonstandard" is a nice way to put it, and no doubt "nonstandard" is what is heavily relied upon here. As if most of us don't know better.
you are correct anti-god think just can't compete with critical thinking. if we focus on what is said and not the word god, its simple. He is calling what we see god.

I wonder if trying to stop any talk using the word "god" is better than adjust the perception of what the word god has to mean?

Critically thinking of course. Without the word "god" being the "arbiter" of reliability.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No.
I am talking about the perception of All That Is as "God".
Before the Greek god characters represented various parts, processes, and aspects of God...Thor for thunder, Zeus for the sky & lighting, Venus for love, etc. Like the Egyptians had Ra for the sun.
I am referring to the perception of All That Is (animate & inanimate...in totality) as "God".
Of course you are, and I understand what you are doing...

I am simply pointing out how you are doing the same thing we humans have been doing since the beginning. As already explained, but I see many an explanation along these lines, about this and other particulars, goes completely ignored or entirely misunderstood. Not sure which, but it's as if all those explanations where never posted in this thread or forum. So....

We're forever back to square one. AKA pounding sand.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,661,065 times
Quote:
OH! Like we don't know all the many different imagination manifestations that we humans have applied to what we don't understand? Going all the way back to the beginning? So? So what?

Primordial

In the history of Greek gods, there is a group of gods that came before all else. These primordial gods are almost conceptual in nature, representing much vaster domains than those that would come after them. These gods continue to pop up in tale throughout the span of Greek myth, usually functioning more as places or concepts than actual characters.

The First Gods

The first god to appear in Greek myth is CHAOS (or Kaos), who represented the void. He was shortly thereafter he was joined by GAIA, who both was and represented the Earth.

Chaos would give birth to two children, the NYX (Night} and EREBUS (Darkness). They in turn would give birth to AETHER (Light) and HEMERA (Day). Gaia would soon give birth to her own primordial children, URANUS (Sky) and PONTUS (Sea).

The Other Gods

https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net/gods/primordial/

All quite fascinating of course. Long in the making. Much we might even call "epic!" How much is about truth and how much is about something else altogether?
lets list'em and see.

what beliefs match what we see better ... critically thinking that is. Using explanation, mechanism, and repeatable predictions.

deity
possible living universe (glfds god)
past lives
some thing more (the above count)
no nothing more
deny everything
its all in your imagination
don't connect any dots to form a belief

Old 06-04-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I am.not bitter at all, I am forever learning about other people here

I think if there turns out to be a God he or she will have no cinnection to the OT.
The Woody Allen quote and my comment were not directed at you. I'm not bitter either. There should not be anything bitter about attempting to get at the truth of these matters, but of course we know lots of people get bitter when they are questioned about such things. Queue all the "bashing," "them vs us," "militant," "evil" and insult comments. At least we haven't had as many of those lately, but this too is inevitable with some people.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,687,685 times
Quote:
I like it!

Much better than some of these personal home-spun descriptions from way back in the way back machine...

Thanks!
Reality has always been the definitive God..then & now. If you don't believe that...look it up...you'll see.
Your view (No God for anyone to perceive, in any way)...of negligible merit & even less acceptance (and currently losing ground in this world)...is what's "homespun".
Though it is very effective at getting its Adherents to be considered the Most Hated and Least Trusted (on par with rapists)...it's great at that.
You like what's "True" so much...get hip to THAT truth.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 5,065,703 times
Quote:
This too is just one definition, and of course you use it because it fits your narrative and/or perception. Also of course this is not the only definition or even the most common definition. That goes more like this...

God
1. (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
2. (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
A truncated definition of some gods that he repeats over and over because he can not address the logic of my post.

As one attribute of some gods that is also true of atheism, it is insufficient.

That he needs to play his word games is just evidence he has nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality