Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 10:05 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is actually not true.

Yes, things are subjective but we have a method that lessens error and bias. Its not perfect, and it won't shun things just because you don't religion, but its the best we have.

They are not universal anymore than how fast we run is. They are happening all over the place so we have to look at why that may be.

thats funny, you teach pel. she is like a light year ahead of me, you in relation to me, not so much.
How fast we run IS a universal truth. How people can't get their mental arms around universal truth is yet another something I find very puzzling and altogether too common. Too common for intelligent discussion anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's because they don't, since they are not universal.

And because they're highly subjective, which means they exist for you and you alone and no one else.

Strange how your god is totally incapable of discerning between subjectivity and objectivity.

I'd be happy to teach your god the difference.
Apparently you missed the entire thread of the conversation. I already covered that I believe these experiences are highly subjective and that I don't think they should matter to you [generalized atheist "you"] and have not said differently. If you did follow the thread of the conversation, you already know this, so then I'd ask, why the snark?

What I wonder is why some of those who claim those experiences don't matter to them so often are interjecting that fact into the conversations here. Not saying you shouldn't. Just wonder what the point is of you saying it? I mean, when a person posts that their experiences and/or beliefs should matter to everyone else, then sure, I can understand giving such a response. But, in a forum about spirituality and religion, it's not untoward for people to share their spiritual experiences and, perhaps, wish to discuss them with other people who are also having spiritual experiences,

Old 05-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Exactly the person I was thinking of, when I wrote my post, jones-ey. How about Helen Keller as another example? Or Bethany Hamilton? Or the numerous other people who are not in the news every day, but who live a life that's more closer to their own community?

Not EVERYONE who is going through some trial or tribulation believes that God is "evil" for inflicting such "pain" on them.
No. True, of course, but there are certainly many millions of people who have had good reason to think so. Right?

The so many millions of people who were brutally subjected to slavery also comes to mind...

Then again I know that many put their faith in God to endure such hardships, so where does that leave us?

Same as always. Wherever we want...

Old 05-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Nope.

Theres no such thing as an atheist that rejects a god because they think the god is evil. That's just nonsense.
It's a misunderstanding of atheism.

You can't reject something you don't believe exists.
If you think there's an evil god to reject, you're not an atheist, you're something else.
Yes. Something else AKA very confused.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Theres a lot of something else goin around these days.
Title of this whole thread should clue you in.
It's more than just a little concerning to me that so many people think this way. Like going back to the Dark Ages...

Old 05-03-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
*giving a parade for jones-sy*! Yes! Yes!! YES!!! It DOES work, as you said!

I believe in God AND the bible for the same reason: Because it works. It makes sense.
Lots of people believe in the Book of Mormon and the Koran also because it works for them!

Does that also make sense to you? If so, if this is the criteria for why you/we should believe in such things, which of all these books that seems to work for so many people is not worthy of our faith or belief in them?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your idea of what is impossible needs work. Prior to my experience, I would have said and believed what you do. Trust me, you are mistaken.
On what basis would you suggest we trust you (or anyone else)?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You mean when we imagine a person is hot for us and they're not ---isn't that called delusion? Wishful thinking, thus, misreading signs?
Imagination is deliberate.
Being mistaken should not be confused with delusion and delusion should not be confused with imagination. Not as a general rule anyway. All very different things...

Old 05-03-2020, 10:27 AM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
On what basis would you suggest we trust you (or anyone else)?
Just another anecdotal data point which when they accumulate suggests something is behind them even if we do not know what. It was in reference to the "impossible" characterization. BTW, could you try to be a little less pedantic in these discussions. The idiom I used is very common.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-03-2020 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Apparently you missed the entire thread of the conversation. I already covered that I believe these experiences are highly subjective and that I don't think they should matter to you [generalized atheist "you"] and have not said differently. If you did follow the thread of the conversation, you already know this, so then I'd ask, why the snark?

What I wonder is why some of those who claim those experiences don't matter to them so often are interjecting that fact into the conversations here. Not saying you shouldn't. Just wonder what the point is of you saying it? I mean, when a person posts that their experiences and/or beliefs should matter to everyone else, then sure, I can understand giving such a response. But, in a forum about spirituality and religion, it's not untoward for people to share their spiritual experiences and, perhaps, wish to discuss them with other people who are also having spiritual experiences,
I think church might be the better place to go if the want is to discuss spiritual experiences with people who are also having spiritual experiences. This forum allows anyone to chime in no matter what they believe or what they want to discuss, so I wouldn't recommend this forum for spiritual people who want to bathe in spirituality with others. Yet, they keep coming back, again and again. Interesting, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality